PDA

View Full Version : Van Norman vs*s Kwikway Boring Bar

madman
01-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Has anyone used these types of boring bars before? I am wondering which one to buy. I hear everyone uses Kwikway bore bars BUT another guy tells me the Van Norman Boring Bars are the BEST bar none (no pun intended) I am setting up my new shop for some fab work and also getting back into engine building, Will be running My New Drag Bike this summer. Im 51 Now figure best get it out of my system thanx Madman

Carld
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I guess it's a matter of preference or what ever you can find or afford. I have a KwikWay FS and I like it.

Flying-Phantom
01-14-2009, 08:39 PM
What range of bore size are you looking to cover? Are you looking at the small engine stand to go along with it? What type of hone are you using after the bore? I have used two Van Norman bars. The 944 is not as rigid as the 777S but it is for smaller boring. Both are good machines if maintained and adjusted properly.

Flying-Phantom
01-14-2009, 08:46 PM
When Winona and Van Norman merged another company started manufacturing the deck mounted bars that Van Norman was noted for and Winona Van Norman went to the fixture mount machines. I do not remember the manufacturer that started manufacuring the deck mounted machines.

PackardV8
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
FWIW, they'll both do excellent work and each has advantages. I have a old but mint KwikWay FT, but actually believe the VanNorman to be the better unit. It depends on how it was used and maintained, more than which one you buy.

PM me if you would be interested in a KwikWay.

thnx, jack vines

doctor demo
01-15-2009, 02:50 AM
FWIW, they'll both do excellent work and each has advantages. I have a old but mint KwikWay FT, but actually believe the VanNorman to be the better unit. It depends on how it was used and maintained, more than which one you buy.

PM me if you would be interested in a KwikWay.

thnx, jack vines
I haxe a Kwikway also, and It does a great job as far as I am concerned.
You could pm Me as well but........the shipping would probably kill the deal.

Steve