PDA

View Full Version : Latest project, displays for rocks

davidwdyer
01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Here's a little project I've been working on for my son. He sells the little rocks which are atop the pedestals in the second picture. This is 1" aluminum tube with tops of nylon. The nylon was a pain to work without leaving many tools marks. We needed something softer than metal so as to not damage the rocks. Here in Brazil I could not find a white plastic other than nylon. I'm sure it is available somewhere, but did not want to spend days looking. The little aluminum tubes were but with a right angle adapter on the BP. The rest of the work was also done on the mill (along with some initial table saw work.) The nylon tops are a press fit in the aluminum.

These are the raw parts.

http://www.johndyerco.com/STORAGE/pedestals.jpg

These are the pieces assembled. 120 pedestals with three different heights.

http://www.johndyerco.com/STORAGE/pedestalswrocks.jpg

rockrat
01-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Nice. Simple and doesn't take away from the stones.

rock~

jkilroy
01-14-2009, 06:17 PM
Does you son cut and polish himself? Pretty work.

davidwdyer
01-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes. In fact, he does. He has won 27 AGTA (American Gem Trade Assoc.) awards in the past six years. If you would like to see more of his work you could go to www.johndyergems.com. This site does not sell to the public. I hope posting this site does not violate the rules of this forum.

lane
01-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Boy them aint like no rocks we got around here.

davidwdyer
01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
He keeps me busy making new machinery and fixtures to do all those unique cuts. If I let him, he'd keep me at it everyday. But it is interesting and gives me something to do with my shop. I really enjoy the challenges. There are some really interesting ideas yet to explore, like a fixture to cut a concave, fluted spiral traveling from the culet of the gem to the girdle. This would involve the Grizzley small mill and perhaps the 3" rotary table. Perhaps a diamond scintered ball mill could be used.

jkilroy
01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Where *is* his work for sale to the public?

mwechtal
01-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Wow, you're son is THAT Dyer? I facet stones, and have been a rockhound since I was old enough to pick up a rock. I've seen his work in Lapidary Journal (or whatever they're calling it now). I had no idea that he was that young! Something tells me that the kid isn't gong to have trouble making enough money to eat! I'm still at the worrying about ruining good rough stage.

davidwdyer
01-15-2009, 06:17 AM
John looks 18 but he is actually 30. He will be exhibiting in Tucson AZ from Jan. 29th to Feb. 12th this year. He also sends out a catalog to wholesale customers.

I'm thinking that the spiral groove idea may be something like sharpening the sides of an end mill, except with the rock tilted at an angle.

I realize that my projects are not very impressive compared to some others on this forum. Some of the things others produce are just awesome. Even so, I find this work more enjoyable that any other.