PDA

View Full Version : Shades of Mother Russia - one tool company for all ?

nheng
01-14-2009, 10:08 PM
What has MSC NOT bought lately? In the SPI thread, it was said that MSC now owns SPI.

What is this world of machine supply coming to? I've been pleased with MSC service in the past but do NOT want to have only one choice ... and that choice will (in time) pretty much dictate what tool manufacturers survive :eek:

lazlo
01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
What has MSC NOT bought lately? In the SPI thread, it was said that MSC now owns SPI.

...and SPI's quality immediately went seriously downhill after MSC's acquisition (early last year). I returned an SPI bore caliper and a toolmaker's chair because the quality was atrocious.

There were rampant rumors late last summer that Applied Industrial was trying to buy MSC. Usually, when rumors are that persistent, it's because negotiations are underway...

Boy, that would have sucked. MSC's prices are pretty good, especially during their weekly sales -- although their prices gone up a lot in the last year, they're still cheaper than McMaster, Rutland, ... But Applied Industrial seems to like to sell stuff for McMaster prices (retail + ...).

Jim Caudill
01-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, I had a email that MSC sent me for 40% off all metalworking for this past Mon & Tues; thought it would be good to order a few replacement cutters (drills, taps, inserts). So I go to the online catalog to start putting my order together - their list prices are very high! 40% off their list is still slightly more than I'm used to paying. I used to do a lot of business with J&L, and some with Enco; but all I can say is I'm glad I've already purchased most things I expect to need. Now that the monopoly is secured, I think we'll see the prices continue to rise.

I guess it will be like buying from Sears a few years ago: you never buy anything unless it is on sale. Can you imagine some poor guy that absolutely has to buy a new car battery from Sears right now, and pays $129 for it!

Same thing with furniture stores, even their 50% off list is still pretty much the fair-market price. Can you imagine someone paying $2000 for a Lazy-Boy recliner?

lazlo
01-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Jim, I did put a big order yesterday during the 40% off -- I thought it was a pretty darn good deal.

I got the Weiler 6" wire brush that Weirdscience and Rich were recommending for $23:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PARTPG=IMLMKD&PMPXNO=1719642

and a PTD 25 piece (1 - 13mm) Metric drill set for $70:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PARTPG=IMLMKD&PMPXNO=2045774

Both with free shipping.

Where are you finding cheaper prices than MSC? They're a lot cheaper than Travers, Rutland, McMaster, and even KBC on most items.

Prices have gone up everywhere in the last year, but it's seems pretty uniform...

Jim Caudill
01-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Except for a few specialty items that are paid for by my customers, I haven't had to buy much tooling lately. I usually order from the sale flyers, almost never from the "big book". That is why when I went to the online catalog, I was shocked at how much they want for screw machine drills, thread form taps, etc. A while back when they has a pretty good sale on jobber length drills, I went thru my drill cabinets and made a shopping list. You had to buy the package quantity to get the "good deal", but it seemed like a reasonable deal at the time.

I find that for a couple of endmills, I can go about 8 miles to Dayton Supply & Tool Company and pickup what I need for less than ordering and paying the shipping charges. You got to remember that Dayton used to have about the greatest number of machine shops per square mile as anywhere in the country. Unfortunately, as the shops have been closing up and going away, so has the number of suppliers to those shops. Anyhow, I got discouraged with the prices and didn't submit an order. I guess I'm feeling pretty well stocked right now.

wierdscience
01-14-2009, 11:56 PM
...and SPI's quality immediately went seriously downhill after MSC's acquisition (early last year). I returned an SPI bore caliper and a toolmaker's chair because the quality was atrocious.

There were rampant rumors late last summer that Applied Industrial was trying to buy MSC. Usually, when rumors are that persistent, it's because negotiations are underway...

Boy, that would have sucked. MSC's prices are pretty good, especially during their weekly sales -- although their prices gone up a lot in the last year, they're still cheaper than McMaster, Rutland, ... But Applied Industrial seems to like to sell stuff for McMaster prices (retail + ...).

Oh God Applied?They started going downhill fast when they came out with that "Maintenance America" BS.I only use them for out of the ordinary PT componets now.Back when they were Dixie Bearing the prices and service were better.

Evan
01-15-2009, 01:12 AM
I hate to say this but in Russian Russia is the Fatherland. :D

winchman
01-15-2009, 04:32 AM
"I returned an SPI bore caliper and a toolmaker's chair because the quality was atrocious."

What's a "toolmaker's chair"? I searched at MSC, but got nothing.

Roger

Davek0974
01-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Freaky timing,

I have just been reading an email from a major UK tool supplier - J&L, informing me of how they just got bigger by connecting up with, you guessed it, MSC.

Then i flick over the browser and this topic is top of the list!

Dave

Sparky_NY
01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
"I returned an SPI bore caliper and a toolmaker's chair because the quality was atrocious."

Roger

I was wondering that too. I think its the $2000 lazyboy mentioned earlier in this thread.

JCHannum
01-15-2009, 09:01 AM

Roger

It is not something to sit in, it is an edge finder.

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn351/jchannum/P1060387.jpg

As opposed to a toolmaker's knee, which is not a body part or an affliction like tennis elbw, but is a precision angle plate, usually granite.

Scishopguy
01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
It is the WalMart syndrome. While they are still comming up in the business they are helpful and agreeable. Once they get in control they get overbearing.

Wally world sent us cardholders a letter a while back stating that the payment was due in their hands and posted to the account on the day it was due or there was a $15 late charge. I thought that this was a little high handed but when I got my bill on the 15th and it was due on the 16th I got really annoyed. I drove down and paid it off that day (it was only fourteen dollars). I think it is a scam to screw all of those folks who live on credit cards and don't pay attention.

Not my intention to hijack the thread but I see this kind of stuff looming in the tool supply industry and it pisses me off.

gmatov
01-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Scishop,

That's funny. Some years ago I had a card at Sam's and used it MAYBE twice. Always sent the full payment before it was due. One month they seem to have gotten it after the due date, posted date doesn't matter, I guess. Sent me a bill for 1 dollar. My late fee. Didn't pay it, they cut off my credit.

BFD. I only used it because they insist on holding your card thru the transaction and you have to swipe a credit or debit card anyway, why not.

Few months ago, I'm a good guy again, annual dues, get the spiel on the credit card, easier to say OK, thought I had to send in the papers they gave me, so no CC, damme if I don't get a card in the mail.

That's in the pile with some others I don't use. Affiliate cards, Discover Card, haven't used in 15 or 20 years, Sear's card, haven't used in about 20 years. Never activated, but, again, damme if they don't send a new one every 2 years.

One good thing with the crisis is I don't have dozens of offers per week of new credit cards.

Cheers,

George