PDA

View Full Version : Yow. Firefox again........ dont read this.

J Tiers
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Firefox did it again......

yes I've had this happen several times before, and commented on it each time. So don't cry to me if you didn't want to read about it again.

FF updated itself by "falsifying" the upgrade agreement..... so now I am using FF3, without ever formally agreeing to the upgrade.

That dang program pops up its own "can I do this?" boxes, right while I am typing, and then takes whatever I typed as confirmation. i type pretty fast for a 4 finger typist, so by the time the "flash" of the popup registers on my eye, the deed is already done.

Apparently any typing is enough to "OK" the upgrade.

Yes, I can block popups. That is the biggest pain, because many of the websites I get data from use popups to present the data.... You click on the "datasheet" icon, and a window pops up with the PDF. if you block them, you don't have anything happen, and have to click more stuff to get it to come up, taking twice as long and hassling more than the popups do.

Just ranting about a rotten program, whose best feature is that it is NOT IE.

BillH
01-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Sounds like you need Opera.

Ken_Shea
01-15-2009, 12:07 AM

Real annoying ain't it :D

lazlo
01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Yes, I can block popups. That is the biggest pain, because many of the websites I get data from use popups to present the data....

Jerry, you can white-list any sites that need to have pop-ups.

I don't think there's any browser that's smart enough to distinguish between good pop-ups and bad pop-ups. I think it's all or nothing, and you have to white-list good popups on IE, FireFox and Safari. Not sure about Opera.

andy_b
01-15-2009, 01:03 AM

yes I've had this happen several times before, and commented on it each time. So don't dry to me if you didn't want to read about it again.

FF updated itself by "falsifying" the upgrade agreement..... so now I am using FF3, without ever formally agreeing to the upgrade.

That dang program pops up its own "can I do this?" boxes, right while I am typing, and then takes whatever I typed as confirmation. i type pretty fast for a 4 finger typist, so by the time the "flash" of the popup registers on my eye, the deed is already done.

Apparently any typing is enough to "OK" the upgrade.

i HATE it when that happens. i wish all pop-up windows that need input would only become active if you purposely click on them. one that gets me all the time is the calendar in Outlook. when meeting notices pop up when i'm typing who knows what the notice was or how long i hit "snooze" for since the window is up and gone before i realize i hit the wrong combination of keys.

andy b.

J Tiers
01-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Jerry, you can white-list any sites that need to have pop-ups.

I don't think there's any browser that's smart enough to distinguish between good pop-ups and bad pop-ups. I think it's all or nothing, and you have to white-list good popups on IE, FireFox and Safari. Not sure about Opera.

Sure..........but since they CHANGE........., I don't need to back to the OLD places for the PDFs, I grab 'em... so it's always new ones that need the whitelisting.............. in advance..........??????????

macona
01-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Sounds like you need Opera.

Safari works for me.

Dawai
01-15-2009, 01:12 AM
I was reading that they encourage people to compile thier own versions of FF..

Meaning you don't know where yours came from for sure, it may have crap written right into it.. I have three FF on my desktop.. two that say internet 1, 2.. and one that just says firefox.. I have no clue where the 1,2 came from..except they have a yahoo toolbar on them... too.. and god knows what else..

I keep saying I will run a Linux CDROM only internet computer.. no hard drive..

dan s
01-15-2009, 02:02 AM
I was reading that they encourage people to compile thier own versions of FF..

David,

If you downloaded your versions from the official homepage (www.mozilla.com/ (http://www.mozilla.com/)firefox/) you have nothing to fear.

what you can do is download the source from the official CVS archive, so that you can optimize it for your machine.

I have no clue where the 1,2 came from..except they have a yahoo toolbar on them... too.. and god knows what else..

You mean this?

http://toolbar.yahoo.com/firefox

If you got this you installed it some how.

Come on J admit it, you got click happy. You just wanted the the pop-up out of the way so you could get back to reading Even's lathe build thread.

FYI if memory serves FF3 is better than 2 it has a new JavaScript engine, so JavaScript runs faster.

winchman
01-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Under Tools, select Options, Advanced, and Updates. Change the settings so you have to be asked what to do if updates are detected.

Or, you can set it so it doesn't even check for updates.

That should keep it from happening in the future.

Roger

lazlo
01-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Safari works for me.

I use Safari too, but the Safari popup blocker works exactly like Firefox's :)

http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3279

"We recommend turning the popup blocker off the first time you visit a website. Some websites use popups as part of the infrastructure, and it is necessary to not block them. After you visit a site for the first time, you can determine if you want to block popups or not."

J Tiers
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Come on J admit it, you got click happy. You just wanted the the pop-up out of the way so you could get back to reading Even's lathe build thread.

Bullcrap.

it accepted something I was typing as its permission.

Winchman, that option apparently does exactly NOTHING.

I HAD told it to ask...... presumably either

1) an earlier update 'fixed" that "problem" so it could update freely

2) The FF definition of "ask" is a "little different"

I think it is #2.....

It pops up a window to "ask"...... and if you are typing when it does that, ANYTHING you type may be interpreted as a positive repsonse, since it literally takes 1/2 second, tops, to be happy and go away to do its update.

it's of no matter...... they are all about the same.

But each version of FF steps further into the "large buttons, all primary colors, Playskool look"... very much like Vista.

I think they just wanted it to look all "pre-school" like Vista.

lazlo
01-15-2009, 11:17 AM

I know you're being facetious, but the FF upgrade pop-ups are poorly done. IIRC, you said you develop code for a living, so you know when you have a ton of windows up (Visual Studio, Emacs, a bunch of VNC windows), that a little pop-up that pops to the top and grabs the pointer focus is just plain wrong.

FYI if memory serves FF3 is better than 2 it has a new JavaScript engine, so JavaScript runs faster.

I haven't noticed any difference in speed. In fact, I don't notice any difference in speed between IE7, FF and Safari -- they've all optimized the Hell out of the rendering engine.

What's cool about FireFox is all the third-party plug-ins. Tab-Mix-Plus, and Add Block Plus, especially.

Dawai
01-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Dan S..

Installed it.. nope..

Or the wife, or the neighbor who checked his email. (he was afraid to open that one at home). or.. When you don't hover over a machine you have no clue what has been done in your absence.. This stinking machine is a pain to keep running.. A dual core cpu running the cameras.
I get so aggravated someday I will do as I did with my gun collection.. just sell all except the things I truly cherish. I walked into the gun store and talked to John S about selling a few guns.. he did not notice I had backed the van up to the back door.

YOU know what? I kinda remember a keyboard switch on the front in the manner of a lock.. (hey.. this computer don't work) bang bang bang.. goes the keys..

Are them keyboard locks still hooked up??
Edit: this one does nothing.. Mouse and keyboard still function..

dan s
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM
I haven't noticed any difference in speed. In fact, I don't notice any difference in speed between IE7, FF and Safari -- they've all optimized the Hell out of the rendering engine.
You only really see the issue with FF2 on GUI style interface like this for example: http://ui.jquery.com/demos/sortable. Even then you need a lot of objects for it to be noticeable. If the page above had 100-200 sortable objects, FF2 chokes.

here you can see the JavaScript benchmarks for FF2 & 3.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/internet/soa/Browser-faceoff-IE-vs-Firefox-vs-Opera-vs-Safari/0,139023437,339289417-2,00.htm

you will see a big improvement when 3.1 is released.
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080822-firefox-to-get-massive-javascript-performance-boost.html
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/09/03/new-firefox-javascript-engine-is-faster-than-chromes-v8

Whats really going on is the web is becoming more gui.
AJAX
drag/drop
sort
lightbox
etc.this all requires JavaScript to run fast, thus all the major browser are pumping out new JS engines.

lazlo
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
here you can see the JavaScript benchmarks for FF2 & 3.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/internet/soa/Browser-faceoff-IE-vs-Firefox-vs-Opera-vs-Safari/0,139023437,339289417-2,00.htm

Wow, that's an interesting article. Look at the raw HTML and XML processing speeds. Safari smokes everyone, FireFox 3 and IE7 are about about the same performance, and Opera is the slowest of them all :)

http://www.zdnet.com.au/story_media/339289417/browsers_graph_1_423.jpg

dan s
01-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Safari, & Opera are for those weird "my lap top looks pretty" people. :D:D:D

J Tiers
01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
What's cool about FireFox is all the third-party plug-ins. Tab-Mix-Plus, and Add Block Plus, especially.

All maybe, except the one thing required for the USPTO site (Alternatiff), which at last try (admittedly some time ago) does not have a FF version that actually works.

Also the plug-in required for government grant submission.... That gets fouled up by FF.

Some other plug-ins seem to seek out IE if you have it on the machine (I have to have both) and decide that you want the version for that.....

FF is remarkably poor, or has been, in USEFUL plug-ins.... At least ones that I wanted.

About all that works is the PDF reader. If that didn't work I'd be using IE.

dan s
01-15-2009, 11:01 PM
J

see if you like any of these.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/398 SWMBO loves this one.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3590

The Doctor
01-16-2009, 01:23 AM
Just my opinion, but I think IE 7 is the best of the bunch. I have had Firefox for a few years, currently running the latest version of that. Because I did a friends website a while back and needed to check it on several browsers, I also have the latest version of Opera, Safari, and Google's Chrome. I have tried them all, and while I think there are a few neat features in Firefox, I always end up returning to good old Explorer.

BTW, if you don't like the web browser taking liberties with your system, do not under any circumstances try Chrome. It apparently installs a Google updater, and I was never able to get that process to quit launching itself at random times. I finally resolved it by simply finding the updater files and removing them all, but of course I'm sure they will come back if I ever update the program again. The only nice thing I have to say about Chrome, is that it seems to render webpages faster than any of the other browsers. Of course, the average page probably renders in under 2 seconds on any of the browsers, so aside from being dazzled by its "responsiveness"the first couple of times you use it, that is not really much of an advantage.

Thank you
Ed

dan s
01-16-2009, 01:30 AM
BTW, if you don't like the web browser taking liberties with your system, do not under any circumstances try Chrome. It apparently installs a Google updater, and I was never able to get that process to quit launching itself at random times.
It also has(at least it did right after it launched) huge security issues....

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/150639/early_security_issues_tarnish_googles_chrome.html

J Tiers
01-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Apparently FF3 is riddled with bugs and problems from end to end.

It has already crashed 5 times today............. I'm about ready to go back to FF2 and see if it will update properly to the last version of 2.... 3 creates a huge vacuum.

dan s
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
J,

You must be cursed or something, you have more browser related problems than anyone I know.

J Tiers
01-16-2009, 11:35 PM
J,

You must be cursed or something, you have more browser related problems than anyone I know.

Actually, I have VERY FEW browser problems.

EVERY ONE of the ones I have is due to FF. Just about every one I have had is due to an un-approved FF update. So the focus is clearly on FF as the problem. After a few more updates, FF may be stable enough for people to actually use.

I had intended to let FF stew for a while, and get the inevitable improved version....... I had not had an FF crash for months with FF2.

Lack of plugins (that I want/need, anyway), is a much smaller issue, since I can always just use IE.

lazlo
01-16-2009, 11:55 PM
All maybe, except the one thing required for the USPTO site (Alternatiff), which at last try (admittedly some time ago) does not have a FF version that actually works.

AlternaTiff works great with FireFox - I've used it for years. You just have to download the non ActiveX installer, here:

3. Standard web browser plug-in (Netscape-style)
For Firefox, Opera, Chrome, and most web browsers other than Internet Explorer.

alternatiff-1_8_5.exe (http://www.alternatiff.com/distribution/alternatiff-1_8_5.exe)

lazlo
01-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Apparently FF3 is riddled with bugs and problems from end to end.

It has already crashed 5 times today....

Hmmm, I'm not seeing that JT. I use a mix of IE7, FF2 and FF3, and Safari, depending on which machine I'm on, and all are very stable.

I've upgraded FF2 on all my machines to FF3, and other than the subtle differences in the menu tabs and the icon display on the URL bar, it's hard to even tell if you're running FF2 or FF3.

lazlo
01-17-2009, 12:04 AM
BTW, if you don't like the web browser taking liberties with your system, do not under any circumstances try Chrome. It apparently installs a Google updater, and I was never able to get that process to quit launching itself at random times.

At work (corporate environment) we're not allowed to install Google Desktop Search (indexes all your pictures, email, files, etc). I thought this was a little paranoid, but our IT guy pointed me to the Google EULA: it clearly states that Google Desktop Search periodically sends data about your system to Google.com.

It doesn't say which data, or what it does with it, but it was pretty spooky.

Spin Doctor
01-17-2009, 12:32 AM
At work (corporate environment) we're not allowed to install Google Desktop Search (indexes all your pictures, email, files, etc). I thought this was a little paranoid, but our IT guy pointed me to the Google EULA: it clearly states that Google Desktop Search periodically sends data about your system to Google.com.

It doesn't say which data, or what it does with it, but it was pretty spooky.

If "The President's Analyst" was being made today the evil organization intent on world domination would not be TPC* by Google:D

*TPC.......The Phone Company

lazlo
01-17-2009, 12:55 AM
If "The President's Analyst" was being made today the evil organization intent on world domination would not be TPC* by Google:D

Sure, but to put it in perspective, Google's is the only desktop search that blatantly phones-home with your information.

Microsoft's desktop search (which is atrocious) does not, and neither does Copernic, or X1.

Ultimately, I had to pay $50 out of my own pocket to buy X1.

dp
01-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Sure, but to put it in perspective, Google's is the only desktop search that blatantly phones-home with your information.

Microsoft's desktop search (which is atrocious) does not, and neither does Copernic, or X1.

Ultimately, I had to pay $50 out of my own pocket to buy X1.

My Mac came with Spotlight. It is probably a spinoff of Sherlock that used to be installed on Mac systems. It crawls your dox, pdf's, etc. Every once in a while it will bog down the system when a lot of new stuff is loaded, mostly I never notice it.

On the web servers I run I use HT://dig and am looking at Hyper Estraier for customers who need a search engine. The big search engines suck your bandwidth dry. It's especially bad when there's any kind of "search engine wars" going on as happened last year with Yahoo.

Google is probably evil - that's how I treat them, anyway.