X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liger Zero
    • Apr 2007

Need diameter information... BIC-pen

Long story short I'm back at work... If you must know PM me.

Got a request for a stainless steel pen body... Got the scrap rod here boss says I can help myself to a reasonable amount of scrap rod as an apology for the age nonsense. I take that to mean "all the scrap, tooling, measurement devices and electronic devices I can carry and peoples lunches as well." Whatever.

White-body BIC-pens with the blue plastic thingy on/near the tip that holds the ink-thingy in the pen body. Does anyone have one handy can you tell me the diameter(s) of said blue part? Outside diameter where it slides into the pen body, inside diameter where the ink-thing slides into the blue part? Overall length?

Person who wants the pen made wants to be able to use that style of BIC pen as a source of refills

Looked all over the plant and all we have is click-pens and the clear-barrel BIC pens not the white ones.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com
  • RPease
    • Dec 2001

Outside diameter of "blue thingy" (also inside of white tube) is 0.250 (the one I have is a GREEN THINGY.......but I doubt that matters)

Inside diameter of "blue thingy" is 0.156

Outside diamater of white tube (if you need it) is 0.33 (these may vary..........)

Rodg
    RPease

Comment

• Liger Zero
      • Apr 2007

Perfect, thank you RPease.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

• RPease
        • Dec 2001

Forgot to mention........Just in case you're planning on make the blue part too.

That blue tip (thingy) has a step that goes from the 0.250 to the 0.33. And then the .33 tapers down to about 0.22.

The .250 portion is 0.500 long and the overall length of the blue part is about 0.91.
        RPease

Comment

• Liger Zero
          • Apr 2007

Right. I'll grab a few from the store tonight. I was browsing the selection of rod-scrap for a proper-sized piece.

Comment

• Carld
            • Aug 2006

Liger, you can pull the ink tube out of the outer casing with the tip and tube intact and then make a SS sleeve to the desired OD to fit the ink tube and tip. You would also have to make a cover for the ballpoint end. I used them without the end cover and just a spring clip on the side of the pen and they leaked and put blue spots on my shirt. Also, store them upside down in the shirt pocket as they will leak.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

• Liger Zero
              • Apr 2007

Thanks for the idea Carld. I am going to make a cap for it. Once I get going on this I'll take some pictures.

More or less I'm going to drill out a piece of rod, then put it in an electric drill clamped to the table and "finish" it with sand-paper.

Woohoo major project.

Comment

• Dawai
                • Dec 2005

I can stick one of them through a piece of plywood in exhibition. it don't write too well afterwards thou.

Why not just share the dimensions when you get all them down pat.. whoever pat is..

AND a drill bit to drill a straight hole without wandering.. I spent hours with a magnifier.. that was the reason I started the web-cam magnifier project.. to see the bit end and superimpose a bit angle on the end picture..

NOW I have never carried it further to create a micro-scoped drill bit sharpener.. To throw two perfect curls.. It seems one edge should be a fraction behind the other.. Otherwise it wanders..

I still ain't learned all I should about drill bits for deep holes.. even ink pen deep.
                Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

• Liger Zero
                  • Apr 2007

I got some advice from one of the machinists here about drilling a longish hole through a rod.

Boils down to LOTS OF OIL and VERY SLOW FEED and MUCH SUPPORT.

Going to be interesting.

Been looking at ink-refils online in between cycles... they do make stub refills that should fit the "blue thingy" so if I have problems making a long enough hole I could substitute the short refill...

Kind of defeats the original idea of using BIC-pens as a source of refills though.

Comment

• doctor demo
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                    I can stick one of them through a piece of plywood in exhibition. it don't write too well afterwards thou.

Why not just share the dimensions when you get all them down pat.. whoever pat is..

I still ain't learned all I should about drill bits for deep holes.. even ink pen deep.
                    The late Richard M. Nixon had to see the movie ''Deep Throat '' three times befor He had it down Pat.

Steve

Comment

• Bguns
                      • Mar 2005

Sure you don't need a New Bike

Much to our surprise, we were able to hack our Kryptonite Evolution 2000 U- Lock with a ballpoint pen. This $50 lock is supposed to be one of the best for "toughest bicycle security in moderate to high crime areas"—unless the thief happens to have a Bic pen. We used to use these to lock up our bicycles, but we're switching to something else ASAP. (Oh, and just to be trite, the pen is mightier than the lock.) Click here to watch the video (WindowsMedia) [Via Metafilter]

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Carld
                        ...........I used them without the end cover and just a spring clip on the side of the pen and they leaked and put blue spots on my shirt. Also, store them upside down in the shirt pocket as they will leak.
                        Ahh Haa. This is exactly why we mechanical types whimped out when we let the normies make fun of our "shirt pocket protectors" I move we go back to them again only this time with style, checkered, loud colors, bizarre shapes, etc. I got my old ones hidden in a dresser drawer, think I'll dig'em out
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• Dawai
                          • Dec 2005

I dropped one of the last pocket protectors I had in a vat of blue dye..
                          It evidently was not clipped properly to my shirt.

I used to calibrate Micro-motion flow devices. A pocket calculator, a tiny measure scale and a cup to catch flow into over a timed period. One of the boobs down Galaxy mills hit the purge button while I was catching a cup full to measure.. the huge surge covered me in blue dye, like a smurf.. only straight bleach would break the color slightly.. I was still blue-grey.. All over..

Eventually.. I learned.. you take another calibrated micro-motion, hose bib it.. slide the line over the return spickot and match calibrations.
                          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

• PTSideshow
                            • Nov 2005

If you look at the barrel of the stick pens Bic or otherwise. You will notice a small dia hole in the side to break any vacuum that develops in the ink holding tube.

a lot of people that make pens do use the refills and point parts of the bic pens when they make stick type pens. Easy to get the refills.
                            Most of the other pen kits use the standard sized refills from most Big box office stores.

Express your inner maker. Shop Penn State Industries for fun and inspiring woodturning project kits, pen blanks, pen turning supplies, lathe accessories, midi lathes and more.

Shop online high-quality Woodworking Tools, Gardening supplies, and Hardware at Lee Valley. Discover our selection of tools and supplies, and tips for your projects.

They sell drills and step drills for drilling the tube hole. Most if not all wood and plastic or natural material pen/pencil bodies, have a brass tube pressed and glued into them for strength.
                            They are 6mm 7mm drill sizes. There are drilling fixtures for putting the holes in the blanks. And tooling to press the tubes into the blanks.
                            Glen
                            Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                            I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                            All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

• Liger Zero
                              • Apr 2007

Wow thanks for all the pointers guys.

I'll be starting on this this weekend, I'll put some pics up if I can find the camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X