PDA

View Full Version : Precision Shear for Styrene

leepcoll
08-07-2003, 11:30 AM
A few years ago, NWSL offered a precision shear to slice off very thin strips of plastic for modeling projects. I recall a feature or advertisement about this device in HSM, but cannot locate the back issue.

NWSL offers no help; they say it was a "one-off" thing that proved to expensive to carry as a regular product, and they won't provide me with the manufacturer contact info.

Any ideas?

TIA

Lee

Weston Bye
08-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Try Newark Electronics, Kepro makes a printed circuit board shear, also useful for aluminum, brass, steel shim stock, plastics.
Might also try for a Kepro website.

Wes

Weston Bye
08-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Oops. Bummer. Kepro is out of business. Shear is no longer available.

Wes

Thrud
08-07-2003, 01:50 PM
leepcoll:
Normal paper cutter can be used but the blades need to be "crisp" and thicker material may not work well. I have a friend that uses his to cut Finnish/Russian aircraft grade Birch plywood with total success (I don't approve - the fibres get crushed somewhat).

MikeHenry
08-08-2003, 10:27 AM
There was a Kepro up on eBay a few days ago.

You might also want to look around for Diacro shears which seem to have been available in 9, 12, 24, and 36" widths. Not cheap, though.

Mike, near Chicago

ttok
08-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Dear Leepcol:

That exact shear MAY still be available from the manufacturer! The PPM Company, 517 Rosebriar Court, Greensboro, N.C. 27407 was the manufacturer. Phone number was 336/299-6345. The shear was their Model #H61994, and I would bet they still can/are making it. As recently as October of 2000, their price was only $655.00 + $30.00 shipping - considerably LESS than NWSL's price!!

I have no connection with them (or Di-Acro either) - I wanted one of the PPM machines badly, but I bought the Di-Acro shears instead for the following reasons: (1) PPM only cuts 6" wide maximum (but only weighs 60# compared to 168# for the 12" Di-Acro model), (2) I prefer a bolt-down "front gauge" and the PPM model appears to have only the traditional sliding front and back gauge - I like the bolted down front work stops of the Di-Acro shears, notchers and punches - personal preference, (3) I prefer the lever-type actuating lever of the Di-Acro models - seems to me that it would take forever to crank that blade down and up again!!, and (4) a used Di-Acro 12" shear on Ebay was only $450 in great shape (#4 wagged the dog).

That being said, I think the PPM shear will work great for styrene, and it is rated to cut 1/16" of non-metals, 0.020" steel and 0.030" brass.

Good luck! I think the PPM machine is well engineered tool and should last for a long useage. It is a quality made product. Incidentally, they also resharpen shear blades for it if necessary. After much indecision on my part, I bought a used Di-Acro shear on Ebay because of price. The only downside to the Di-Acro machine is the WEIGHT!!! A.T.