PDA

View Full Version : I can be so dense sometimes...

torker
01-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Geezuz...sometimes I just need to wind up and kick my own self in my own butt.....
I almost wrecked my back trying to lift that damm old dividing head up on the table of my Ohio.
I couldn't get it up without banging it up so had to put it back down. I hate that...sukker is so heavy...once was all I had left.
Dumma$$$...it's a frikkin knee mill. Why didn't you just let the table down...oh say... about a foot...brilliant!
Then...while catching my breath..I'm standing there trying to figure how to angle the dividing head so I could copy the helix on the gear I want to cut. Set it up with angle finders...protractors...blah blah...
Geezuz mother of god...it's a universal mill...
Sometimes i just have those dumb days...today was a gooder...
Russ.

jimmstruk
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Hang in there and keep the posts and pictures coming, we enjoy them. JIM

oil mac
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Torker you take care, Your back is your best friend till it goes, & then it ain big time! , At the smallest section of it, their is not a lot to support heavy dividing heads etc, + you dont want to drop and wreck a good dividing head either! The same care is needed in looking after the front of your body, I have in the past given myself two hernias, Trust me they are not funny things to get, and they leave a weakness The human body is not the strongest structure on the planet.
Rig up some lifting tackle it is worth it Dont be a hero going it alone, We have all been down that road & wish we hadnt.

lazlo
01-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Russ, why don't you build one of those mill hoists like Lane and John built? With your welding skills, you can probably knock one out in less than an hour.

I was thinking about using this for the hoist part. They're usually on sale for $49:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99630

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/99600-99699/99630.gif

Teenage_Machinist
01-17-2009, 04:18 PM
You'll have a hard time of that if you get a bed mill!

For an X3, I think that the preferred vise is 4 inch, Kurt clone maybe a 3 inch. That weighs 48 pounds. The bench is too high. The car is about 18 inches back.

Am starting to look less favorably on a mill upgrade. Nowehere near as bad as you, but a bit troublesome....

S_J_H
01-17-2009, 04:41 PM
yeah I tend to do the same stupid things. I just wrestled the 180lb 3 ft long gilman slide ontop of my x3 mills table this morning as I had to machine some clearance for the stepper motor. I can feel a little shoulder soreness already.

The thing is my son who is quite strong could have given me a hand. But nah, silly stubborn me just did it by myself.

Steve

Teenage_Machinist
01-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Right now I read things for my parents.

clutch
01-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Geezuz...sometimes I just need to wind up and kick my own self in my own butt.....
I almost wrecked my back trying to lift that damm old dividing head up on the table of my Ohio..

Hey, I'm 51 and I work maintenance, I use machines to lift. One magic pop and I'm screwed. Your superman days were over at 25 or so.

Clutch