PDA

View Full Version : OT Why IRS in Explorer & Expedition, but not in Suburban & Yukon?

winchman
01-17-2009, 06:23 PM
The vehicles are about the same size, weight, and height. Why do only the Ford SUVs have independent rear suspension?

Does it make much of a difference in the ride and handling? Are there any downsides to the IRS because of its complexity?

Roger

Rookie machinist
01-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Manufacturing costs, Generic Motors uses the same base axle housing for all C/K series trucks. The 1500 series trucks, Yukon, Suburban, Denali, and H2 all use the same base axle housing. This helps lower production costs, IRS is also more complecated and has more parts.

Dawai
01-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Them irs rear ends make good post hole diggers for a tractor.

Spin Doctor
01-17-2009, 11:30 PM
I think its because the manufacturer of the Tahoe and Yukon expescts the vehicles to be used for work purposes to some degree. Ford doesn't. :D

andy_b
01-17-2009, 11:53 PM
if the past is any indication of the future, GM will have an IRS within three years, if they are still around.

andy b.

doctor demo
01-17-2009, 11:55 PM
When I read the title of the thread I thought it had to do with the Internal Revenue Service and the make of the vechicles they use. I'm sure glad I was mistaken.

Steve

TGTool
01-17-2009, 11:59 PM
When I read the title of the thread I thought it had to do with the Internal Revenue Service and the make of the vechicles they use. I'm sure glad I was mistaken.

Steve

And I thought what your drove determined your chances for an audit.

MickeyD
01-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Tahoes and Suburbans are trucks. They tow like trucks, they handle like trucks, they just don't have open beds. If you want fancy suspension go buy a little crossover.

interrupted_cut
01-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Ford put the IRS systems on their SUV's to help increase roll-over resistance after getting sued by too many people who don't understand that it's a bad idea to drive fast on underinflated tires in hot weather in vehicles with a high center of gravity.

Davis

Bguns
01-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Remember the Early Corvair...?
Or Perhaps the Deadly little Ford Military M151's I had to Drive?

I Have Pictures of Many Rolled Ones..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M151_MUTT

And unlike what article says, Even the Improved M151's Rolled Better Sideways than Forward...

Mcgyver
01-18-2009, 01:08 PM
I bought a Suburban for the family a few years ago. All the interior door handles broke off. What’s with a manufacturer that makes things so bloody cheap the door handles break in two? POS. GM and IRS, two acronyms that'll bring you down.

Carld
01-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Bguns, those corvairs were swing axles, not indipendent suspensions. The swing axles promote roll over because the wheel does not stay perpendicular to the road as it does on independent suspension. The M151 was a terible dog and did tend to roll over and let you rub it's belly. I don't know if the M151 was a true independent suspension or not. I drove them when I was in the NG and I didn't like them at all. I sure liked the M38 they took away from us and I should have bought one when the sold them off.