PDA

View Full Version : Volstro Rotary Milling Head

Smokedaddy
01-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I have a Series I Bridgeport. Would like to snag one of those Volstro's on eBay that is close to me (I'm in Arizoina). I see there is one in California but would hate to spend the funds if it wouldn't work on my Series I OR (note the or) I needed "other components" to make it work that are not included in the sale. Does anyone here have first hand experience using a Volstro Rotary Head and with my situation?

Regards,
-SD:

lane
01-17-2009, 08:13 PM
the Volstro will fit any mill with a 3 3/8 quill and a R-8 taper.Just make sure you get the collets that are for it . They are not available.

lazlo
01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
There are at least two different versions of the Volstro rotary head. The original Volstro had a single piece quill clamp, and used E16 collets, which are very rare, so make sure they have the complete set. They're a slightly smaller double-angle collet without the distinctive clamp ring that ER collets have. There's an R8 drive shaft inside the quill clamp that you pull up with the drawbar, and powers the mechanism.

I have a tweener Volstro (the Series III) that has a two piece quill clamp, so you can swap the quill collars for machines that don't have the Bridgeport standard 3 3/8" quill. Mine also takes E16 collets. This is what mine looks like (from a recently completed Ebay auction):

http://www.amiron.com/volstro/2

The last version made has the two-piece quill clamp and takes standard ER-16 collets. Be careful because a lot of Ebay sellers will put up an older model Volstro for sale with some of the collets missing, and say it uses standard ER-16 collets. Reliable has done this several times that I've seen.

BadDog
01-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Yep, mine is the version before lazlo's. And like his, mine take E16, and I also got a full set just as his picture shows.

Question: Anyone ever actually use the power drive? One of these days I gotta hook it up just to play with it a bit...

djc
01-18-2009, 04:05 AM
...The original Volstro ...used E16 collets, which are very rare... They're a slightly smaller double-angle collet without the distinctive clamp ring that ER collets have.

Slightly off topic, but I have a milling head that takes E20 collets and by simply changing the nut for an ER20 one, ER20s fit perfectly. Have a look at the thread on the end of the old-style head, and if it's M22 x 1.5, you should be OK.

Mike Hunter
01-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Can someone tell me difference between an E 16 and ER 16 collet, I've got a Volstro Rotary Milling head, with a full set of collets but it would be nice to know what type they are

Thanks

Mike

lazlo
01-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I've got both Mike (E16, and ER-16), I'll take some pictures later today.

lazlo
02-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Mike, I forgot about the Volstro E-collets until I saw this Reliable auction just now. These are the Volstro E-16 collets (NOT ER-16 collets!):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360129468070
http://reliabletools.cachefly.net/itemimages/FebruaryT09/t06k.jpg

dp
02-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Those are beautiful tools - I wish I had a need for one and a machine to put one on :). The need I can synthesize - it's a tool I don't have so by default I have a need (easily understood by the Mrs. whose orbital bones are worn oblong from rolling her eyes). Getting the machine to put it on would require jacking up my house to clear the low ceiling.

lazlo
02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
The need I can synthesize - it's a tool I don't have so by default I have a need (easily understood by the Mrs. whose orbital bones are worn oblong from rolling her eyes).

It's basically a backwards rotary table. So instead of the milling head being fixed, and rotating the workpiece underneath it, the workpiece stays fixed,and the milling head rotates.

Agree though -- they're beautifully made.