PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

lotus23bsr
01-19-2009, 11:17 AM
My name is Gerry
I have been lurking here for a week or so and this film http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ABelgFdjA has given me a reason to post for the first time :D
I thought it was cool with the jigs, machines and test fixture's of the day and I'm a Brit bike bike fan as well. Sorry if it has been posted before.
This is a nice forum with lots of info.
Thanks,
Gerry

S_J_H
01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the forum!
That is a wonderful old film. I enjoyed it! Thanks for posting the link.

Steve

Bill in Ky
01-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Welcome Gerry! Looking forward to more post's from you.

Circlip
01-19-2009, 12:56 PM
What a load of nostalgic ----, If you're of an age to have ridden one of these nightmares on a daily basis, you'd know why the British motorcycle industry went mammeries up. Arrogance, unReliability Shortsightedness all spring to mind coupled with a guarrenteed world market at the time. Mr Honda had his "Dream" and screwed the "Brummie Clique".

Me Veler still stuck to the road like sh-- to a blanket though, Japanese still don't seem to have conquered the low CofG thing yet.

Best Regards Gerry,

Ian.

Peter N
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Welcome on board Gerry, I enjoyed that clip too, and I used to ride a Triumph.

Don't mind Ian (Circlip) he's a dour Yorkshireman and they're all like that, and even worse since Geoff Boycott retired as God :D :D

Peter

Circlip
01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Geoff who???

derekm
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
My name is Gerry... I'm a Brit bike bike fan as well. ...Thanks,
Gerry
Lotus 23? but thats not a bike but a mid-engine sports/racing car the original driven by Jim Clark powered by a Twin-cam... :)

Derek ~ who could only afford a replica

ptjw7uk
01-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Narry a torque wrench in sight, perhaps thats why they lost it all in favour of the rising sun.
Still a nostalgic film none the less, worth a watch
Thanks
Peter

lotus23bsr
01-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome fellas!
Yea Ian, I had to depend on various English twins when I was younger for my only transportation. Always carried extra clutch cables and tool kits for the occasional roadside repairs. I must be gluten for punishment cuz I still wish I had never got rid of my mid 70's Norton's or Triumph's when I got the sport bike bug in the 80's. I did not have a bike after the 80's, marriage, raising a son... then 20 years later I get the bug again (or mid life crisis :D ) and bought a Ducati sport classic 2 years ago. 2 recalls and 2 cylinder/ head rebuild adventures before 600 miles on the clock later (all under warranty, thank goodness) and I still love her :D She has been running fine for a while now so I remain optimistic.

And Derek, Colin Chapman and Lotus, as well as Jimmy Clark have been my heroes since I was a kid. I certainly can't afford a real one either. The 23 Sports Racer was a beautiful car.
One of the reasons I am getting into the metal tool machinery hobby is to make the odds and ends I might need to build a Lotus 7 replica (Locost 7) based on a Miata drive train. Don't know if I'll ever get it done but I'm gonna try :D

Thanks again for the welcome all!
Gerry

derekm
01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome fellas!
Yea Ian, I had to depend on various English twins when I was younger for my only transportation. Always carried extra clutch cables and tool kits for the occasional roadside repairs. I must be gluten for punishment cuz I still wish I had never got rid of my mid 70's Norton's or Triumph's when I got the sport bike bug in the 80's. I did not have a bike after the 80's, marriage, raising a son... then 20 years later I get the bug again (or mid life crisis :D ) and bought a Ducati sport classic 2 years ago. 2 recalls and 2 cylinder/ head rebuild adventures before 600 miles on the clock later (all under warranty, thank goodness) and I still love her :D She has been running fine for a while now so I remain optimistic.

And Derek, Colin Chapman and Lotus, as well as Jimmy Clark have been my heroes since I was a kid. I certainly can't afford a real one either. The 23 Sports Racer was a beautiful car.
One of the reasons I am getting into the metal tool machinery hobby is to make the odds and ends I might need to build a Lotus 7 replica (Locost 7) based on a Miata drive train. Don't know if I'll ever get it done but I'm gonna try :D

Thanks again for the welcome all!
Gerry

When I built/rebuilt my Noble23 (dry sumped ford X-flow, alfasud later a hewland box) i wished I had a lathe for the bits and pieces, but I started it with an electric drill, a vice, hacksaw, files and a very poor selection of spanners... This then improved dramatically with a pillar drill and a Mig welder luckily I found a machinist who could produce the spigot and chassis bushes I needed...

rockrat
01-19-2009, 08:08 PM
My name is Gerry
I have been lurking here for a week or so and this film http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=s-ABelgFdjA has given me a reason to post for the first time :D
I thought it was cool with the jigs, machines and test fixture's of the day and I'm a Brit bike bike fan as well. Sorry if it has been posted before.
This is a nice forum with lots of info.
Thanks,
Gerry

Nice link, thanks. Love to see the footage. Gents working with a pipe and getting it done. Ahhh the good old days.

Oh, and Welcome-Bienvenue-Benvenuto-Willkommen

rock~