PDA

View Full Version : QC Brand TIG Electrodes?

lazlo
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
I bought some lanthanated ESAB tungsten electrodes from MSC last week, and was surprised/disappointed that they showed up as "QC Brand" electrodes, Made in China.

The boxes are marked "QC is a registered trademark of ESAB".

Anyone (Russ?) have any experience with these electrodes? They weren't cheap, so I'm wondering if I paid Western prices for cheap Asian electrodes?

Roy Andrews
01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I've used the cheap tungstens and the only problems i have had was inconsistent diameter. i have HF and try to never contaminate the tip. if drag starting you may have problems. I've never drag started them. be very careful with the color marking on the end. i struck an arc with one to burn the paint off before grinding it and it seemed to contaminate about 1 inch of the tungsten. it would not weld right. now i always sand off the paint or grind it off. i have had very bad luck with Chinese filler rod and MIG wire especially dual shield wire.

Dave P.
01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Roy,
Why would you not just leave the painted end in the
back cap?
Dave P.

Roy Andrews
01-20-2009, 12:01 AM
i keep both ends sharp so that i can just switch them around if i need to.

torker
01-20-2009, 01:22 AM
I bought some lanthanated ESAB tungsten electrodes from MSC last week, and was surprised/disappointed that they showed up as "QC Brand" electrodes, Made in China.

The boxes are marked "QC is a registered trademark of ESAB".

Anyone (Russ?) have any experience with these electrodes? They weren't cheap, so I'm wondering if I paid Western prices for cheap Asian electrodes?
Robert...I got your PM...then started this...
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=32744