PDA

View Full Version : oliver adrian ace cutter grinder (gloat)

davidh
01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
well i asked a month ago about this machine i was looking at. description in title, and today i went and picked it up. :D

its been sitting outside for a few months so its got some surface rust on parts that should be clean and shiney. dang thing is 3 phase but, it does turn by pulling on the belt so there is hope.

are there any parts breakdowns anywhere for this thing ? :confused:

i am certain it would not take a rocket engineeer to figure out how and what to take apart for cleaning, etc but i have always liked to look at pictures of what is inside before i start.

there is one on ebay right now for a 900 or offer, looks the same as mine 'cept for the new paint.

im have also tried to find out how much it weighs as im quite limited as to how much i can pick up to get it off the trailer. i will need to slide it into my bucket and "pray" i think.

im very excited about this new toy as i have some actual grinding work for it as i speak. . . . oh, it was pretty $$$$ cheap so i can probably pay for it in a few months. . .

rmack898
01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
(Gloat) Without pictures ? Show us what you got.

davidh
01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
too dark, im too far north for sunlight. tomorrow am.

moldmonkey
01-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Nice find!!

They are still in business OLIVER (http://www.oliverinstrument.com/Cutter_tool_grinders.htm)

JeffG
01-20-2009, 01:45 PM
DavidH,

Contact Mary Smith at Oliver of Adrian. They are the most supportive of any company I've ever dealt with. I'm working (intermittently) with 3 Oliver machines: an HD Ace, a model 510 drill grinder, and an S-1 die filer. All excellent machines built to last a couple of lifetimes. Manuals w/ parts breakdowns are available.

Like most T&C grinders, a lot depends on what accessories you have.

Jeff
Tuckahoe Steam & Gas Association (http://www.tuckahoesteam.org)

malbenbut
01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Hello Jon Bohlander, I have just been perusing your PM blog I was interested in seeing your T&C grinder as I have just received a xy table which looks identical to yours. I have clocked it and it is within .001" end to end. I was told it was off an Excel or Pinacle T&C grinder. I am thinking of making a column and grnding head for it. How does yours perform and have you used it as a surface grinder, also what is the HP of the motor. Sorry to interupt this thread on the Oliver grinder, I would like to see pics of it also.
MBB

davidh
01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
DavidH,

Contact Mary Smith at Oliver of Adrian. They are the most supportive of any company I've ever dealt with. I'm working (intermittently) with 3 Oliver machines: an HD Ace, a model 510 drill grinder, and an S-1 die filer. All excellent machines built to last a couple of lifetimes. Manuals w/ parts breakdowns are available.

Like most T&C grinders, a lot depends on what accessories you have.

Jeff
Tuckahoe Steam & Gas Association (http://www.tuckahoesteam.org)

TUCKAHOE, how neat. we have stuff like that here in the northland but not nearly as coool as what your web site shows.

i did contact mary. and neil, super folks, got a parts breakdown so i can go back where i got hte grinder and look for the accessories. they are really wonderful to deal with.

im looking forward to getting this machine off my trailer and inside so i can plug it in. (its 1500 lbs and too high for anything i have to lift it, and im waiting for my neighbor to bring his drill rig over to lift it off.

i have a couple more jobs for it as of this afternoon. and i sprayed it with kroil penetrating oil this afternoon incase it needs a bit of help. it seems to be looose everywhere i monkey with it.

i found out the place i got it has found some of hte orig. attachments as they used it for sharpening big saw blades. and who knows what else they did. i will see them on friday and try to scarf up anything that they have. . . .

im really pumped. . . . . . (its the drugs oor the brandy)

pix;s to follow. . . . .