PDA

View Full Version : John Stevenson - KX3 Question

Bruce Griffing
01-20-2009, 04:55 PM
John-
I know you have been involved in the KX3 development - what happend to the max spindle RPM? It seems to have started out at 5k and now seems to be 3.5k. Thinking about larger pulleys...

John Stevenson
01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Hereditary problem, the Chinese only have 3-1/2 fingers on each hand :D

The original specs called for 5K but they made then 3.5K.

The ones being released at the moment, [ non shipped to UK as yet ] should be 5K.

It's only a belt and pulley change as the bearings are rated far higher than that.

Bruce Griffing
01-20-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you know what the bearings are rated for? If I get one, I will need higher speeds for my applications. Heavier stuff will get done on another machine. So - how far do you think I could push the speed?

John Stevenson
01-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Bruce.
The bearings are non standard parts, i.e. not off the shelf bearings and I will have to check the numbers out tomorrow and get the specs for you.

Edit
Probably the limitation is the distance between the motor and spindle is quite close and the spindle is very stiff so that will control how small the spindle pulley can go and in turn how big the motor pulley can go.

I have a KX3 but at the moment due to space restrictions it's in storage about 30 miles away so I can't whip the top off to measure it.

DFMiller
01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
I am expecting mine to be a 5K unit. It on the water now. I should know in a couple of weeks.
Dave

Bruce Griffing
01-21-2009, 11:05 PM
From a photo, I estimated that the pulley ratio could go as high as 3.3 from its present value of about 1. That would put the spindle up between 11k and 12k. If that were possible - and it may not be - would the bearings stand it?