PDA

View Full Version : New Forums

George Bulliss
01-21-2009, 12:15 PM
If you venture out of the General Forum you will see a couple of new forums, Digital Machinist and Gunsmithing. As I mentioned before, I hope that the extra forums will help to organize and find threads. I will not actively drag threads over to the new forums yet, but if anybody would like their thread moved reply here or drop me a PM.

George

Paul Alciatore
01-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Great, I started the ball rolling with a post on the CNC forum. I am very interested in converting some machines to CNC and think this will be a great forum.

wierdscience
01-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Nice,thanks for the new forums George.

Peter N
01-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Whilst I'm not interested in Gunsmithing, I'm fascinated by the CNC build threads that go on in General, and always try and read them and learn a bit if I can (I'm a bit electronically dyslexiic..).
I suspect that I may be a lone voice here, but I'm far less likely to make a trip over into a special forum to read them, and I feel that I may end up missing the good stuff.

I have the same problem over on the PM board, I inhabit the general section most of the time with a very rare visit across to the other sub forums.

My personal view is that things are quite nice and cosy and a good all round fit over here on HSM, with just one real active area where a person can get 99% of what they need, and I think that splitting things off may detract from that a bit.

Peter

S_J_H
01-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I understand your thoughts Peter. CNCZONE for instance has way WAY to many forums IMHO.
But a dedicated CNC forum and Gunsmithing forum IMO are a good idea here. Those seem to be 2 very popular interests.
With everything in one general forum threads get buried in a hurry.

Steve

George Bulliss
01-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Good point Peter. It is one that I have thought about, as I do not like the sites with huge numbers of forums either. I thought that a few extra forums would help to keep some of the build threads from disappearing so quickly. With everything piled into one forum, things tend to get buried rather fast.

Since we have a separate magazine devoted to CNC machining, it just made sense to have a separate forum also.

George

Teenage_Machinist
01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Me too, at the MAX I would say "Off Topic/General, CNC and conversions or maybe a Builds fourum, gunsmithing, help fourm, Old Machinery.

BadDog
01-21-2009, 09:05 PM
I try to stay out of stuff like this, but in my very humble opinion, this site needs an "OT" and general BS forum far, FAR worse than a gun or welding forum. CNC is good based on traffic, though I have no interest in it at the moment. Doesn't seem to me there is all that much gun traffic. But getting OT racket out of General would slow it down enough to make it less important to move OUT stuff like guns and CNC. Nothing wrong with "community" and just "chatting", but it seems to make sense to get that stuff out and stop it from burying the good "content". Just my opinion...

TECHSHOP
01-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I too like the "cross connecting", but the new VP magazine is drawing a new and different crowd here. I see it at the shows, one "group" wants only the ol'arn and the other wants nothing but new CNC.

Something lost; Something gained...

BillH
01-21-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't know, it could draw attention away from our flame wars, and well.. That just doesn't seam to fit well with me. :)

tattoomike68
01-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Well done , now make an OT topic forum for the OT stuff then people who wine about OT just wont have to go to that forum.

deltaenterprizes
01-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Thank you for the new forums,I am glad to see a gunsmithing forum.

Sportandmiah
01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Absolutely fabulous site. That being said, the first thing I noticed when I joined this site was the lack of categories. I think Mills, Lathes, Drill Presses, Saws, etc etc should have their own place. It would make searching much much easier later a few years from now when there will be thousands more posts.

My 2 cents.

John Stevenson
01-22-2009, 06:51 PM
George,
Is Sock Puppet allowed to use all the forums ?