PDA

View Full Version : Good mig welding question!

wierdscience
08-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Okay,after several trys to get hard facing wire from my local welding supply I have to ask-WTF do you get it,I have seen it at least twice but never had the presence of mind to write down the info.
Also,I was told once that you could hardface using regular steel wire by introducing a small amount of nitrogen into the sheild gas,about 10% if I remember right,anybody got a clue?

shorty
08-09-2003, 11:49 PM
You should be able to get a hard surfacing wire from any welding supplier. You will find that the wire is much less effective than stick hard surfacing. It tends to be VERY expensive and doesn't feed well through the feeder regardless of whether you use smooth or knurled rollers or even increase the liner size up one. Stick is lots slower but is much more effective cost wise. You can also use gas welding to hard surface. It's similar to brazing in that you don't melt the parent metal as this introduces the parent metal into your hard surfacing material. Reduces it's effectiveness.
As far as adding Nitrogen...no clue here.

ibewgypsie
08-10-2003, 12:39 AM
I "think" ERS-08 was the 7018 replacement type steel in my mig. We used it to make some welds on some trailer parts. grinding was tough it is hard. Personaly, I don't trust my lil mig doing structural welding. I get the stick out.

Ers-06 is a argon-co2 only gen purpose wire.

No clue about the gases thou. I think I remember Co2 having more splatter.

CCWKen
08-10-2003, 12:50 AM
I'm with Shorty, I've never heard of adding Nitogen. That may induce cracking. I've seen Hardfacing Mig wire in flux-cored. My Lincoln reference shows some of these can be used with "gas shielding" but it doesn't say what the gas is. Probably C25/A75.
There's a number of types depending on whether you're looking for wear, impact or abrasion characteristics. (Abrasion is the hardest)

rbregn
08-10-2003, 02:47 AM
Iused to do alot of hardfacing at my old job (I like saying that!). We used wire, don't know type, but it was a hard face wire. I never had any problems, but I always put in a new tip and cleaned the cone and sprayed with silicone before I used it.

gunsmith
08-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Questions for rbregn:
What did you use the silicon on and what type silicon was it?

rbregn
08-10-2003, 08:26 PM
the welding gun. sray silcone. used it to keep the weld splatter from sticking to the gun. Boss wouldn't buy dip, so we used that instead.
Rob

Evan
08-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Weird,

What are you hardfacing? Perhaps this might help. It is new to North America.

http://lsind.bc.ca/avt.htm

wierdscience
08-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Hey that looks neat,but mostly what I am doing is bush hog blades,the things wear the outside corner off so that the cutting edge curves from the inside to the outer tip of the blade making the blade less efficent.
I try to get people to bring me their blades when they are new so I can coat the first 1" and the end of the blade thus preventing the wear,but alas they don't and I find myself building up the loss and then hardfacing it,I have been using Stoddy rods with excellent results,but it is very slow$$$

Evan
08-11-2003, 03:28 PM
The AVT stud welder is a really cool machine. It is computer controlled and completely automatic. Anyone can operate it with about 20 minutes instruction and a few test pieces. The arc is full shielded so all you need is safety glasses although I would recommend using Oxy/A glasses. It will hard face a loader bucket in one third the time it takes with rod and for less money too. It also provides better protection than conventional hardfacing since a "dirt jacket" builds up between the studs which protects the metal from impacts. It is not a replacement for standard hardfacing in all applications but is far superior in some, especially heavy equipment buckets and blades. The odd thing is that this tech has been in use outside of North America for years but very few people in NA have heard of it.