PDA

View Full Version : Question about Mitutoyo 513-504T DTI

ACF
01-21-2009, 05:27 PM
I was wondering if anybody here has one of these dial test indicators. I'd like to know the diameter and length of the cylindrical part between the dial and the indicator arm.

** http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?PACACHE=000000081985466
I think this is a link to the product (not to computer savvy)! !
Thanks for your help,Chris

JCHannum
01-21-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't havbe one and the link doesn't work, but the Mitutoyo catalog shows the diameter as 9.5mm and length from center of dial to center of pivot for the contact point as 46mm.

SDL
01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
I was wondering if anybody here has one of these dial test indicators. I'd like to know the diameter and length of the cylindrical part between the dial and the indicator arm.

See here and next page

http://www.mitutoyo.com.sg/documents/manuals/index/4-2_Test%20indicator.pdf

Steve Larner

ACF
01-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the info.

Maybe, before I die, I'll figure out how to use this damn computer.

Sorry about the bad link.

Thanks,
Chris

BadDog
01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Mitutoyo makes a lot of great stuff, but their DTIs (that I've seen) are not included in that list.

I've got a (for all appearances brand new) Mitutoyo DTI, and I've seen better stuff at Harbor Freight (only a slight exaggeration, the quality is truly that bad). I've got B&S which are my favorite. I've also got Tessa, Interrapid, Federal, Starrett (don't care for them, but at least the quality is good) along with a Fowler and a few top quality Swiss odd-balls. My Mit DTI sets out and exposed on the back of my lathe for rough "who gives a rip if I drop it on the ground" work. Little better than junk in my opinion...

Teenage_Machinist
01-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Apparently the Japanese and Americans stink at making indicators. I have a B+S Bestest. It is really pretty good, and well made, and I believe that Enco still has them on sale.

Also that style of indicator--- may be similar to the widely despised Starrett Last Word, and if it is, the mechanism may have the same propensity to jam.

JCHannum
01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Nothing wrong with the Last Word. Starrett has been manufacturing them for 70 years and HA Lowe for several years prior to that. An instrument that has survived for that long in a market that is as discerning of quality as that serving machinists can not be as bad as some would lead you to believe.

I do agree that recent Mitutoyo DTI's seem to have been cheapened up, much plastic, and lack of the feel youwould expect in a precision instrument. I don't know if that is true for their entire line, but I will recommend taking a look at them in person before buying.

BadDog
01-21-2009, 09:16 PM
The common Mit DTI is based on the same basic design as the Best Test and others like it. I seem to recall the Mit also makes a Last Word clone, but that's not what I have...

And I have some old US made Federals. If they still work, they are great. Very smooth and dead repeatable. But if they have problems, scrap time. I've got one that is in excellent shape, but no lens. Can't get one so far as I know. My absolute favorite (at the moment) is my fully jeweled Swiss Tessa large face. Next up would be my set of Swiss Best Tests.

Edit: Just noticed Jims post. My beef with Starrett is their "lever" and just general design with all those proprietary bits. I much prefer the general dove tail mounts all around (also one of my beefs with Interrapid). I also don't care to get in there and throw the switch to reverse. I've had them sticky and with terrible feel, but they always seem to clean up and be fine functionally once you get out the (seemingly) invariable excess oil. Interrapid also works "backwards" and drives me nuts. And all of this may be just a matter of my first DTI being a Fowler Best Test Clone. So my brain got hard wired that THIS is how a DTI is supposed to work. :D I don't care for them, so I've sold the Starretts I come across (usually after cleaning). I should probably sell that Interrapid too, never use it...

Teenage_Machinist
01-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Well, I do not know. But a lot of people do hate Last Words, also heard that they get sticky easily and get fixed easily .

JCHannum
01-21-2009, 09:52 PM
A lot of people hate Fords or Chevy's, chocolate or vanilla, that does not make them bad, just different. To each his own.

J Tiers
01-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Just about every Last Word I have used was sticky or messed-up. Even the brand new one I borrowed at work. IIRC, Mike told me he had only had it a few weeks and had not had to use it much, as he reminded me to be careful.......

Have brought in my own since then.... Cheap chinese, Federal Testmaster, Mitutoyo, a Brit thing called a "Spot-On", All are better than that new Last Word.

I did have my Last Word apart, cleaned it and set it up right, and it now works pretty well. If I had paid much more than $5 for it I'd have been ticked-off though. I think the full set like Mike at work has, costs a couple hundred clams plus.

I suspect that "Starrett then" and "Starrett now" are two different entities, quality-wise. The Last word used to have a good reputation. And since they have made it so long, it can't have been sticky and nasty all that time.......

ACF
01-22-2009, 07:55 AM
After looking at the dimensions, it's not going to get me deep enough into the hole to help me out, so scap that idea.

I have 2 other DTI's, a Compac and a Peacock, so I really don't need another.

Suprising that Mit. DTI's aren't the same quality as their other products, but nowdays it doesn't suprise me.

Chris

Circlip
01-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Don't matter whether you spend $2 or $200, they ALL get no points after the two and a half turn with reversed pike from the one and a half Metre "Springboard"

Regards Ian.