PDA

View Full Version : OT: USB Plug and Play problem

rebelrodder
01-21-2009, 10:02 PM
'Kay here's the deal: My PC is ancient and creaky (just how old is it? W98 old!) and I don't really like it but it has to do for a bit longer until I can scrape up enough dough to replace it with something more modern.

Anyway, I'm having trouble getting my HP 3210 printer to connect to the computer via the USB connection. There simply is no acknowledgement from Windows that the printer has been connected. I have tried swapping cables with the other still functioning printer, blowing out dust from the tower case, reseating cards, uninstalling/re-installing the software, multiple power cycles of both the PC and the printer, cursing, wiggling connections, more cursing, etc. The two have been working happily together now for a couple of years, so there's a history of success here.

The rub is that I have to go through this connection problem every time SWMBO decides to move the printer. In the past, any of the above actions has resulted in success. Not so this time. A quick search of the HP website turned up one solution I'm going to try tonight, but I wanted to post this here because I know there are some sharp people on this board.

So c'mon fellas! Whatcha got?! :D

tattoomike68
01-21-2009, 10:13 PM
It must be real old. 98 was 10 years ago so you will need a new computer soon.

Did you run add remove hardware wizzard?

BTW if anyone gets a new printer I recommend one with WI-FI , it uses the wireless router and all 5 of our computers can use it with no cables to the computer at all. We love that.

TxBaylea
01-21-2009, 10:13 PM
'Kay here's the deal: My PC is ancient and creaky (just how old is it? W98 old!) and I don't really like it but it has to do for a bit longer until I can scrape up enough dough to replace it with something more modern.

Anyway, I'm having trouble getting my HP 3210 printer to connect to the computer via the USB connection. There simply is no acknowledgement from Windows that the printer has been connected. I have tried swapping cables with the other still functioning printer, blowing out dust from the tower case, reseating cards, uninstalling/re-installing the software, multiple power cycles of both the PC and the printer, cursing, wiggling connections, more cursing, etc. The two have been working happily together now for a couple of years, so there's a history of success here.

The rub is that I have to go through this connection problem every time SWMBO decides to move the printer. In the past, any of the above actions has resulted in success. Not so this time. A quick search of the HP website turned up one solution I'm going to try tonight, but I wanted to post this here because I know there are some sharp people on this board.

So c'mon fellas! Whatcha got?! :D

Did you reinstall the USB driver for Win 98? A Google search will find you several places where you can download it.

Vernon

rebelrodder
01-21-2009, 10:34 PM
"Did you reinstall the USB driver for Win 98? A Google search will find you several places where you can download it."

Nope- haven't tried that. Would the fact that another USB printer and a digital camera are still working point to a faulty USB driver? I'll try that too.

kendall
01-22-2009, 04:36 AM
did a search a while ago for the same thing, found this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240075

It helped on my mom's old computer.

Also, if the printer is USB 2.0, and the computer is USB 1, they don't always work together as nicely as they could. it's supposed to, but....

Ken.

Evan
01-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Look in the system devices panel for an "unknown device". If you find one then highlight it and remove it. Then reboot.

Circlip
01-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Have you tried plugging the printer in and switching it on BEFORE turning the COMPUTER on???

And before the Teckies start screaming HOT PLUGGING, try it.

Regards Ian.

rebelrodder
01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them when I get home from work.

Kendall:

That microsloth link looks like it might be the ticket.

Evan:
I'll give the devices list a look as well.

Circlip:

Nope, haven't tried that one. Supposed to be a no-no. That's aboot the only thing I haven't done.

I'll post back when I get a solution...

huntinguy
01-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Win98 is not really plug and play compliant as far as usb is concerned.

Make sure you back up your registry before you do anything. Also, make sure you release the printer BEFORE you unplug it or power it down. If not the OS will think it is connected and will not let it reconnect. All I will say is my, "don't unplug it" call was two seconds to late and I could never get the camera to work again.

Evan
01-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Win98 automatically keeps up to five backup copies of the registry. To restore boot to a DOS prompt and enter:

scanreg /restore

Then select from the list the most recent backup that is dated before the problem occurred.

This may fix the printer problem.

rebelrodder
01-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Win98 is not really plug and play compliant as far as usb is concerned.

Make sure you back up your registry before you do anything. Also, make sure you release the printer BEFORE you unplug it or power it down. If not the OS will think it is connected and will not let it reconnect. All I will say is my, "don't unplug it" call was two seconds to late and I could never get the camera to work again.

Yeah, I hear ya there. I think if I get it working again this time I'm going to bolt the damn thing to the desk and use a bit of epoxy on the USB cable. Bwahahahaha! That ought to solve the "maybe we should move it" problem once and for all.

Evan, thanks for the tip. I'll give that a go tonight.

To all who have chimed in so far, thanks for your help!

rebelrodder
01-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Win98 automatically keeps up to five backup copies of the registry. To restore boot to a DOS prompt and enter:

scanreg /restore

Then select from the list the most recent backup that is dated before the problem occurred.

This may fix the printer problem.

OK, I tried this but the restore operation failed according to DOS. When I went back to try again the appropriate date of backup was gone. Any idea why it failed? Anybody?

A search of the HP website has been quite fruitless. My Google-Fu is weak so that returned a pile of links 8 miles deep. I may try defenestration next...

Evan
01-24-2009, 01:10 AM
HP printer drivers for Win 98 were a major PITA for me. They were very prone to the sort of problems you are having. Since it did work the thing to try and figure out is what you did differently when you moved the system and powered it back on. In cases like this I would sometimes have to manually remove every trace of the printer drivers and any related software including manually removing all references to any HP product from the registry. That isn't an easy job and can take hours when you know what to do already.

jacampb2
01-24-2009, 03:27 AM
My advise, swap USB ports with something else. I have had countless problems with USB, were for whatever reason XX port quits working for XX device, but will work just fine if you say, swap the camera and the printer.

Mostly I have seen it when folks plug in xx device and turn it on before they have installed the software. Windows then tried to install it itself, gets hopelessly lost in the mine fields of computation, and then, will not allow you to install the device, regardless of if the proper drivers are now installed. I have even gone as far as to do a safemode reboot, delete all the "hidden" devices that have been connected, but aren't right now, and try a fresh install of the product. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't.

My guess is that somewhere along the line the port you have it plugged into got fubar with the printer. Then, SWMBO comes along and unplugs a bunch of crap, scooches the furniture around by planting her derriere on the floor and doing leg pushes, plugs everything back in helter skelter, and by random chance, lands the xx device on xx port that they had both sworn to never communicate on again... :D

Anyhow, I am bored, and if you can't tell, this has happened to me-- the new windoze versions are no better IMO.

Good Luck,
Jason

rebelrodder
01-24-2009, 10:11 PM
OK. The way this conversation is going it looks like I have a few options.

1. Laboriously scrub the remains of anything HP printer related and reload.

2. Run the kill everything and reload Win 98 recovery disk. (Very laborious considering all of the various programs/files/fonts SWMBO has on the HD.)

3. Finally get around to buying/building a new box based on some parts I got a screamin' deal on a couple of years ago.

Gee, None sound like fun! I think I'll go for the build a replace option since the old one is so out of date.

Thanks for all the help everyone!