PDA

View Full Version : My power drawbar and tool changer solution...

macona
01-22-2009, 04:47 AM
Got real sick of no power draw bar and lack of a tool changer this summer making parts on my Supermax CNC Knee mill. Figured out a solution:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/macona/IMGP1165.jpg

If everything goes well I will be swapping it for my mill. This machine has a BT-40 spindle, 12 station changer, 6000 RPM spindle. It has an old Heidenhain TNC151 control. Runs smooth. Well taken care of. Not a mark on the table.

I will loose about half my X travel but I will still have access to my old machine if I need it.

Ahhh... Toys!

A.K. Boomer
01-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Macona I have to admit I hated to peep at this thread cuz I thought to myself "ohh god here we go again - somebodys putting 12 tons of pressure on their little 1/8" endmill again and not tightening their big ones up enough"

You really did come up with a good solution --- bravo.

mochinist
01-22-2009, 11:18 AM
What kind of z travel does it have, doesn't look like much, but pictures can be deceiving.

Peter N
01-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Ooooooh Nice :)

John Stevenson
01-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Yup very nice I do some programming work for one of these, local company has it but no CAD CAM system.
Most times it isn't a problem as they program at the control but sometimes a rake of blended arcs catches them out.

One bad point on them, the Z axis encoder is at the bottom of the screw where it catches all the oil and crap. Pays to keep it clean.

Good luck with it.

macona
01-22-2009, 04:05 PM
What kind of z travel does it have, doesn't look like much, but pictures can be deceiving.

If I remember right the z is right around 16 inches. And thebguy even hasnall the manuals!

John Stevenson
01-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Heidenhain has put the 151 manuals on the web, or they were.
I have copies here if you get stuck.