PDA

View Full Version : Kurt brand DI & DTI

Mike Hunter
01-22-2009, 09:33 AM
On EBay lat night, ran across a Kurt branded DTI, ok thought that itís a cheap Chinese knockoff, but the pic had the Kurt logo.

Did a quick check on the Kurt web site, sure enough they have DIs and DTIs , at not bad prices.

So has anyone used these? Any good?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Hunter
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Ok, Just checked Long Island Indicator site... Kurts are China imports. Sorry for waisting bandwith.

Mike

JCHannum
01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Your first impression is correct. They are chicom imports with the Kurt logo printed on them.

Why a quality manufacturer will sell rebranded low quality accessories is beyond me, but that is what many seem to choose to do.

rmack898
01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Why a quality manufacturer will sell rebranded low quality accessories is beyond me, but that is what many seem to choose to do.

Kind of like Gerstner International, why purposely tarnish your name?

lazlo
01-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Kurt's selling a bunch of re-branded Chinese tooling these days. Sad -- like Jim sas, that a fine brand is being drug through the gutter.

Same deal with Record (UK) -- they went out of business 4 -5 years ago, and Irwin tools bought the name, and is selling all kinds of Chinese junk as "Record."

There's a bunch of companies in the same boat: Jacobs (drill chucks) went out of business 6 -8 years ago, and the giant Danaher tool conglomerate bought the name and is reselling Chinese and Taiwanese tooling as "Jacobs."

I think Gerster is doing the right thing, by the way: they sell their high-end Gerstner tool chests for the price you'd expect for fine hardwood furniture, and they sell a much cheaper, mass produced, Made in China line as "Gerstner International".

There was a hilarious post on PM where one of the frequent posters was lambasting Penn Tool Company for selling him a Gerstner International tool chest that was made in China. The poster stated that he refused to buy cheap Chinese products. When someone pointed out that Gerstner still sells their Made In USA toolchests, for quite a bit more money, his response was "Wow, I'm not paying that much for a toolbox!"

And that's how we find ourselves in the predicament we're in...