PDA

View Full Version : cheap DRO

SteveC
08-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Has anyone tried using one of these cheap DRO's, available on E-bay, (basicly just a digital caliper mechinisim)?

Steve

Bruce Griffing
08-09-2003, 09:17 AM
I have not tried one. But here

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/default.php

they have a remote readout and control as well as documentation for this type of DRO. I have no connection to LMS.

Shed Machinist
08-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Billr just got finished with one made out of digital calipers. It was for the z axis on his mill.

[This message has been edited by Shed Machinist (edited 08-09-2003).]

CCWKen
08-10-2003, 01:00 AM
I like the LMS setup but it came out too late for me. I've already got two DC's setup on the mini lathe. My setup used "distructive mounting" so I hate to waste the DC's and go with a new setup. I wonder how I did without it for so long.

brunneng
08-11-2003, 08:04 PM
I've got 3 of them, one for each axis, that I'm still bolting on. I need to get creative with the y-axis to make sure it is out of the way. So far the only one I have hooked up is the Z and I wish I hadn't waited so long. it is just too useful.

I can't justify the expense of the pro units and they are way over kill on a mini-mill. you only need a 12", 8" and 4". I got all three for about $130 from ebay. The 4 and 8 are the newer models available and are much nicer than the 12" which is a couple years older. I was going to build my own interface to them but now I'm just going to buy the 3-axis one from LMS and save the time for working.

If you need tenth accuracy, forget it. For just general HSM work I'd say they are real nice. Just use a dial indicator when you need the tenth's.

jfsmith
08-11-2003, 09:14 PM
I have found that many of the "do it yourself" and inexpensive type DRO don't have any accuracy. Plus there is no one to call when it goes south on a vacation with out you.

They are sort of like the put it together yourself computers, if they work find, if they don't, you don't any place to call, except those places that will charge you hourly.

Jerry