PDA

View Full Version : Axelson 20X48 spindle question

doctor demo
01-23-2009, 02:49 AM
As you may recall, I purchased an old but decent Axelson last year.
It has a marginal at best 15'' 4 jaw chuck on it, I just bought a good used 18'' 4 jaw for it. The chuck coming off is a A2 8 mount, I got the chuck off by un bolting it but I can't get the adapter off.

Any of You Big Lathe Guys have any insight ?
I realy don't want to give up any more of My 48'' with another adapter.

Thanks
Steve

Mark Hockett
01-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Steve,
My Haas lathe has an A2 mount. There is a short tapered stub on the spindle kind of like a cam lock spindle has, your probably stuck on that. I just smack mine with a heavy dead blow hammer in the direction of the tail stock and it falls off.

Forrest Addy
01-23-2009, 05:35 AM
That is a hell of a lathe. Too bad it's so short.

wierdscience
01-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Are you sure it's an adapter and not part of the chuck?

doctor demo
01-23-2009, 10:27 AM
Are you sure it's an adapter and not part of the chuck?
I am about 99.999% sure it is an adapter that is screwed on the spindle. Behind the the taper ,looking in the head stock direction about an inch in You can clearly see the end of the spindle wmere the M T starts. On the o.d. about 4 inches backfrom the taperd end there is clean line where it looks like the adapter is tight against the spindle shoulder.
The only info I can find on the web is that Axelson had a camlock on that size lathe, so mine must be older or a special order.

Thanks
Steve

Fasttrack
01-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Well I can't help specifically, but I do have an 89 page Axelson manual that I can email you. Unfortunantly, it was scanned upside down, so you'll probably want to print it out. PM with your email address and I'll send it on its way, if you would like.

doctor demo
01-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Fasttrack, Thanks for the pdf I have downloaded them, :)
but I have a glitch and can't open them tonight. I hate computers.:mad:

Steve

Fasttrack
01-24-2009, 12:42 AM
Uh oh! I know how you feel. I did have trouble opening the first .pdf file - I think it was pages 1-14. All the others open fine for me. I'll see if I can scrounge up another copy of the 1-14 pages that actually opens!