PDA

View Full Version : Clausing 5914 variable speed

hawgwrench
01-23-2009, 12:12 PM
The old clausing is begining to show yet more age...developing a vibration that's begining to reflect in the finish cuts.This particular machine had the variable drive converted to manual adjustment before I got it;I've traced the vibe to the vari-drive pulley on the motor....getting worn and a sloppy fit on the motor shaft.I made the mistake of calling clausing about replacement parts,THAT was a kick groin....anybody run into this?....ideas?

lazlo
01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I've traced the vibe to the vari-drive pulley on the motor....getting worn and a sloppy fit on the motor shaft.I made the mistake of calling clausing about replacement parts,THAT was a kick groin....anybody run into this?....ideas?

Very common -- in fact it's very common on any mechanical vari-speed: the bronze or plastic bushing wears down, which allows radial play on the variable-width pulley, and it starts to thump or vibrate.

If you've caught it soon enough, you just need the Delrin bushing from Clausing: it was $24 when I bought one last year from Clausing. You just remove the old bushing, put the new one it, and then bore it to a snug slip fit with the male vari-speed pulley.

If you let the VariSpeed bushing wear too much, it will damage the green epoxy anti-friction coating, and you'll need to re-coat with Moglice. If you let it wear even more, it will damage the sliding key, and then you've got problems :)

Post some pictures of what your VariSpeed sheave looks like and I can walk you through it.

lazlo
01-23-2009, 01:35 PM
This particular machine had the variable drive converted to manual adjustment before I got it

Oh geez, I just noticed this line. What the heck does that mean? Did he remove the hydraulic pusher? Do you have to stop the machine and turn a screw to change the width of the pulley?! :)

hawgwrench
01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Have you been peekin in the window?....as a matter of fact he DID remove the pusher,it has a hand wheel there now,dont have to stop the machine to use it...I dont really have a problem with that that (dont particularly like it either,but can live with it).....maybe weeks end I can tear thing down look a little deeper...whichever part(s) it is I'm sure they're made of unobtainium.

lazlo
01-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Well, the good news is that if the hydraulic pusher assembly (including the floating bearing?) has been removed, then it's easy to disassemble the lower vari-speed assembly. Just take a look at the white (Nylon) or brown (Delrin) bushing and see if it's still a tight fit.

By the way, you're halfway to converting the Clausing hydraulic vari-speed to the Reeves drive that the Hardinge HLV-H has :) The Hardinge (and the Schaublin) lathes use the same vari-speed mechanism, but have a gearhead motor that drives the screw that opens and closes the vari-speed sheave.

So "all you have to do" is mount a gearhead motor on that screw, put a "Faster" and "Slower" (forward and revers) switch on the console, and you have an HLV-H! :D

PaulT
01-24-2009, 01:19 PM
I yanked out the entire vari-drive on my 5914 and converted it to a direct drive using a VFD for speed control. Works great, and is much quieter than the stock system.

I put a file with conversion info and the parts I used in the files section in this Yahoo newsgroup:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clausing_lathe_and_mill/

Good luck-

Paul T.

CLARKMAG
01-25-2009, 09:50 PM
The variable speed in my 5914 does not stay put anywhere but fast or slow.
That times the back gear, gives me 4 speeds.

If I was to hold the handle, I can get speeds in between.

neonman
01-25-2009, 11:33 PM
All, I have the opportunity to buy the 13" version of this lathe, I assume the 5914 is a 14". If the hydraulic speed mechanism breaks, is it practical to just replace it with step pulleys? I don't mind the hassle for changing speeds, but I wold mind a lot if the speed varied or was uncontrolable.

Also, I've gotten feedback that this was a fairly light lathe. Is it rigid enough to
hold the tool still when doing interrupted cuts, like turning the throw on a crankshaft, and for using a cutoff tool?

neonman

HTRN
01-26-2009, 12:33 AM
The 5914 isn't a 14", it's a 12x36". It's brother, the 5904, is a 12x24".

hawgwrench
01-26-2009, 08:16 AM
I yanked out the entire vari-drive on my 5914 and converted it to a direct drive using a VFD for speed control. Works great, and is much quieter than the stock system.

I put a file with conversion info and the parts I used in the files section in this Yahoo newsgroup:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clausing_lathe_and_mill/

Good luck-

Paul T.
hmm.....think I like this idea even better ...just forget whats missing or broke and trash all of it....thanks

hawgwrench
01-26-2009, 08:29 AM
All, I have the opportunity to buy the 13" version of this lathe, I assume the 5914 is a 14". If the hydraulic speed mechanism breaks, is it practical to just replace it with step pulleys? I don't mind the hassle for changing speeds, but I wold mind a lot if the speed varied or was uncontrolable.

Also, I've gotten feedback that this was a fairly light lathe. Is it rigid enough to
hold the tool still when doing interrupted cuts, like turning the throw on a crankshaft, and for using a cutoff tool?

neonman
I would think the step drive might be alot more labor intensive,judging from what I've seen on my 5914.I like the idea of direct driving with the VFD better.Either way would have to be better than the original....it worked of I would guess,but seems pretty trouble prone and VERY expensive to get parts for.Granted,as a machinist you could make repair parts,unless like myself,its the only lathe you have.Heyyyy.....that gives me an idea...wonder if the blessed wife would believe I need another lathe ,so I can save money on parts for this one of course.As far as weight....the 5900 series is not particularly heavy,but is a very good mid sized tool.Would probably do the job for your crank throws,so long as you dont run overspeed and assuming the part is proportionate,like NOT out of a 400 big cam cummins.Go to www.neme-s.org/....the have links for manuals (service and parts) on the page....look under shaper manuals...if I remember they have the whole manual for 5914 there for download.

lazlo
01-26-2009, 10:50 AM
The variable speed in my 5914 does not stay put anywhere but fast or slow.

That's almost always because you've got air in the hydraulic line. There were two different master cylinders (square or round). If you have the manual, read the section on purging the lines. If you don't have it, drop me a PM and I'll describe it to you.

lazlo
01-26-2009, 10:59 AM
All, I have the opportunity to buy the 13" version of this lathe, I assume the 5914 is a 14".

The 69xx is the 13" model. The 49xx is the 11" model. Like HTRN says, the 59xx is a 12".

If the hydraulic speed mechanism breaks, is it practical to just replace it with step pulleys? I don't mind the hassle for changing speeds, but I wold mind a lot if the speed varied or was uncontrolable.

The hydraulic speed control is easy to fix. The issue is with the Vari-Speed mechanism. The Clausing has effectively the same VariSpeed (Reeve's drive) that the Bridgeport heads have, and they all have a Nylon or Delrin sliding bushing that allows the sheaves to vary their width. That bushing is a wear item, and when there's enough wear to allow radial play in the two halves of the sheave, it'll start to vibrate. That's when you're supposed to replace the bushing.

Unfortunately, some Clausings (and many Bridgeports) are run well past the point where the bushing is worn out, and the two halves of the VariSpeed sheave will bang together, and then you have to repair the sheave itself, which is a big problem.

Also, I've gotten feedback that this was a fairly light lathe.

It's about 1200 lbs, and it's quite a bit more rigid than a South Bend Heavy 10, for comparison. It's one of the best home-shop class lathes, IMHO: top speed of 2200 RPM, giant tapered roller bearings, spindle clutch/brake, and infinitely variable-speed drive.

CLARKMAG
01-27-2009, 12:58 AM
That's almost always because you've got air in the hydraulic line. There were two different master cylinders (square or round). If you have the manual, read the section on purging the lines. If you don't have it, drop me a PM and I'll describe it to you.

Thanks,
I think it worked when I bought it a 440 3 phase.
When I got it home I took the motor out to swap wires to make it 220V 3 phase. It never worked right again.

8 years later, they still have the picture on the auction web site:

http://www.murphyauctions.net/past/images/nov01/aiemindustrial001.jpg

neonman
01-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds like before one would want to buy one of these lathes, the nylon bushing should be checked out. Is that bushing on the shaft, allowing the pulley to move in & out, or is it in the web, allowing the pulley to change shape?

Thanks,
neonman