PDA

View Full Version : What Now??

Ragarsed Raglan
08-11-2003, 02:02 PM
I know some of you guys are old hands at the eBay game (are you there Ibew..?). I've ventured into the bidding game when an item came up for sale and my buddy that's done bidding for me in the past (whenever I was interested in anything) was away on holiday. So I'm looking for a bit of advice on what to do about an item I bid for the other day. The guy had put it up for sale previously and it hadn't met his reserve price. On the basis of this - when he put it up for sale asecond time, I bid a maximum that was more than the first auction winning bid but was still (apparently) below his reserve price. I 'won' the auction - but haven't got the item due to his reserve not being met. Do I contact him and ask what his reserve is and negotiate 'off line'? is he liable to contact me??

Point is - the first auction best bid was about 60GBP, I aimed my max bid at 70GBP, it only made 50 odd GBP on the second time around. Can he see my max. bid?

BTW, I get my buddy to bid for me as he is not emotionally tied into the purchase, I set him a maximum, and then leave it to him. This way I will not get swept up in a bid 'war'; and regret it later!

RR

G.A. Ewen
08-11-2003, 03:54 PM
I would let him put it up for sale again. Any item is only worth what some one is willing to pay for it. His reserve price may not be reasonable but even if it is, it's the prospective buyers who have the final say as to what it's worth.

Alistair Hosie
08-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Martin contact him and see if you can work out a deal. You know what the highest value you want to pay is, so don't go over that. Also tell him he will be saving ebay fees if he deals with you direct so try and negociate he should do a deal with you.I have done this and it works ok why miss out on something you want. If he asks for a rediculaous price leave it, but I doubt it he will want to sell it too Alistair

winchman
08-11-2003, 07:11 PM
If your max bid is above the reserve price, it will immediately show up as a bid at the reserve price with the reserve met. If someone else bids more, your bid will go up by proxy bidding until your max is exceeded.

eBay also has a "second chance" arrangement where the seller can contact you and arrange a sale below the reserve price if he wants to do that. He'll have to pay the commission to eBay on the sale.

Roger

RPease
08-11-2003, 09:23 PM
RR,

While I personally have contacted sellers (on Ebay) "off line" to work out a deal, I don't believe that Ebay will offer you any "protection" (for what little it might be worth), if the sale goes "sour" and you end up getting ripped off. (Exception might be their "second chance" deal that Watchman mentioned.)

Just something that you might keep in mind, if you weren't already aware...

I say......go for it.....

Regards,

Rodg

mbensema
08-11-2003, 10:05 PM
I have made deals off line, sometimes they want to get rid of the item and cash in hand is better then a chance at a new auction. Contact them and see if they will work out a deal, sometimes they will and sometimes not.

Mike

jfsmith
08-11-2003, 10:36 PM
I have worked deals on a second chance from some dealers, which means if the person who wins doesn't pay, you may get a chance. Plus I have worked side deals with people for end mills, parts and materials.

Jerry

Rich Carlstedt
08-11-2003, 11:41 PM
I won't bid on reserve auctions !
They are hypocritical
If a guy wants 100 bucks minimum, then he should start out there....PERIOD
So what if he gets no bids...he isn't going to sell it anyway..starting at 10 is stupid..

I ask you guys, would you go to a live auction where the auctioneer could say " no dice" after you bid for a while...I doubt it..You would yell your lungs out..so why support it on ebay !
Big waste of time

the purpose of an auction is to "get a deal"...seems to me, the only one getting a deal here is the seller!

Paul Alciatore
08-11-2003, 11:57 PM
I've both bought and sold on E-Bay. Not a lot but enough to get an appreciation of the process.

On several occasions I have asked the seller what his reserve price was. Some answered and some didn't. You might stand a better chance of getting an answer if you wait until a day or two before the auction's end. Anyway, no harm in asking.

As for bidding, I always bid through a sniping service. It has the same advantages as using your friend: I can decide what the item is worth TO ME and bid that. It also avoids the bidding frenzy thing which often drives the prices up beyond what the item is really worth. Your bid is only placed in the last 10 of 15 seconds of the auction which prevents anyone from bidding higher via a manual bid. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. I am prepared for the result either way. If you want a free sniping service try www.vrane.com (http://www.vrane.com) . They allow one free snipe at a time.

As for making the seller an offer, I don't see why that shouldn't be done. All he/she can say is Yes or No.

Paul A.

abn
08-12-2003, 02:24 AM
If the seller is not local for a face to face deal...I would scrutinize his/her feedback before dealing. As stated, you wont have the little protection ebay offers nor a third party record of the transaction. I've dealt with people off ebay, but only locals.

Thrud
08-12-2003, 03:00 AM
RR

Obviously the bonehead is a piker - don't bother.

The way I look at it, if you want $100 minimum, start minimum bid there. Otherwise you are yanking my pud and wasting my time. If I think it is worth the money, I will bid, but life goes on.

I remember biding for a Starrett indicator for my collection and winning it in an unreserved bid of $5. The guy bitched and moaned that he had paid $100 for it (doubtful) and he had the nerve to ask for a $10 Handling fee over the $3 he posted for USPS. I sent it despite my feeling that it was him that set the ground of the sale...it took 8 weeks to arrive - took his bloody time!

Another fellow shipped a Starrett/Webber accessories kit by fedex air before I could get to the bank for a US money order. Talk about service - and free at that! I called the guy and told him he should not do that when he doesn't know me - a knob would have burned him. A real gentleman.

I am glad not all eBay-er's are weinners.

G.A. Ewen
08-12-2003, 09:08 AM
My Ebay experiance has been the same as Thrud's. I got a real nice B&S micrometer for ( if I remember right ) $18.00 but the S&H was just ridiculous. ( total $47.50 US ) On the other hand just recently it cost me only $22.50 S&H for a 10 lbs tool makers vise. Both items were from the upper US. Now I always ask for shipping cost before I bid. Maybe we need to start a thread on who are favorite Ebay sellers are.

Michael Az
08-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Be sure to read the tearms of sale well before you bid. Like others have mentioned, some sellers will stiff you for shipping and handling. One machine seller lately has posted a $300 charge for loading when you get there to pick up the machine! We are talking small machines also and I have noticed he doesn't get many bids. Just yesterday I emailed a seller that has a bridgeport going through live auction with a 15% buyers premium and told him I wouldn't bid with a premium. His answer was a form letter I'm sure telling me how to get registered for the auction.
Michael
Michael

mayfieldtm
08-12-2003, 11:37 AM
If the guy's Minimum price (reserve) is higher than your Maximum Bid, then...
Thats all she wrote.
If he is being overpriced, you will probably find a better deal soon.

Tom M.

ibewgypsie
08-12-2003, 01:33 PM
Sorry, I usually don't read them all when I am really busy. If you want me quick, email me.

Negociations, Well, I buy things all the time that I see a (0) feedback bidder win. Odds are that the deal is going to fall through and the seller be stuck paying ebay fees and no income.

I got my leblond lathe like that. I can almost read the email now, you mean it weighs what? and they want what to pick it up and deliver it? (I went and got it) I wanted to haul it in my honda civic.

You have no protection from ebay on off auction items. Of course, you have very little protection anyways.

Ebay has gone to hell, You can no longer research people to see where they live. It is common to see sellers bidding thier own auctions up. No way to know for sure, but look at the history. A few bad people ruin a good thing.

I miss ebay when it was a private ownership.

Selling, it has gotten really bad. (0) feedbackers that buy, ebay gets thier fees even if you never get paid. You can file a non-paying bidder fee form if you do it in the specified time, with all the t's and i's dotted and crossed. And they never throw them off ebay, and if they do, they just change thier name and come back.

Ragarsed Raglan
08-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Guys,

Thanks for all the advice. I've tried to contact him, with an offer to negotiate. No reply to my email (as yet). I am beginning to think the guy is a complete and utter blithering idiot. He cannot see that the item he is trying to sell is overpriced on his reserve. After 2 auctions, and the second auction closed with him being offered £12 ($18 USD) less than the first auction top bid!!!

Thanks again brothers for the advice, much appreciated.

RR