PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight 6000 lb Scissor Lift...

Mike Burdick
01-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Harbor Freight is an interesting store.... Sometimes I get the feeling the Chinese are shown pictures of things and then are told to go out and mass produce them by scaling off the photos . Here's an auto lift and I'm curious if it's actually safe. Anyone ever seen one or have one to know if they're for real?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/98100-98199/98168.gif

I'm not in the market for one...I'm just curious...

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=6000+lb+capacity+scissor+lift&Submit=Go

dp
01-23-2009, 11:05 PM
The safety lock on that life reminds me of a very effective bolt cutter. I'm just sayin'... :)

v860rich
01-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Don't know about HF's lift, but I used to use one very simular to it made by
Rotary Lift that was safe. It would lift my crew cab, big block, dually and still was safe to work under.
THANX RICH
People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people.

Paul Alciatore
01-24-2009, 02:05 AM
I have seen HF stuff in their showroom. I would NOT get under any vehicle that was held up by ANYTHING from HF. NEVER. Actually, I would stay at least as far from it as it is off the ground: it could break on one side and tip over. If it's holding up a Volkswagen, double that distance as the car may roll.

Just my humble opinion.

winchman
01-24-2009, 05:03 AM
Seeing as how the lifting height is only 48-53", I don't think it's made for working under.

I'd be concerned about it self-destructing in the early part of the lift. The hydraulic cylinders would be almost horizontal when it's collapsed enough to slip under a Honda. If the frame will take that load, it shoud be OK once the car is up to working height.

Roger

alanganes
01-24-2009, 06:04 AM
I don't know anything about these, but do find it interesting that one of the three units shown in the link above is made by a company called "BEND-PAK".
It probably doesn't mean anything, but if I were buying something to pick up cars, I don't want it made by someplace named "Bend..."

I'm just sayin' :)

macona
01-24-2009, 06:07 AM
Bend-pak is actually a larger company that does all sorts of lifts:

http://www.bendpak.com/

PTSideshow
01-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Sometimes I get the feeling the Chinese are shown pictures of things and then are told to go out and mass produce them by scaling off the photos

You have to take any photos that you see now a days with a table spoon of salt. It probably is a photo of the car and the jack photo shopped together. They have had others in the printed catalogs that show each of their jacks and parking lifts in use in their parking lot with real cars and people.

First off how it works with the overseas manufactures is. A company here contacts them at a trade fair,expo, or one of the hundreds of magazines put out by trade associations.

They than give the company samples, and or drawings of what they want. The company then gives them a price for a good, better, best quality, fit and finish. On container loads or ship loads of containers.

Everything that is sold by any of the tools companies, Northern, Grizzly, Clarke, the auto supply companies and any house brand. Is made in the same factories as they tend to specialize in a type or class of tools.

You get to pick the color, packaging, and brand name. Just because it is sold by any other company. It doesn't make it better.

If you look at the catalogs they all have items that have two or three levels of price and duty cycle for electric tools.
Then you have the companies that package and assemble tools and items made outside of the US or Canada. Doing what the unindited criminals in Washington call value added. Then call it Made or assembled in the USA.

You can thank K-mart's parent corporation for the knock off trend as they started it with the Lesney matchbox trucks and cars. They couldn't get the deal they wanted form the company. So they bought one each of the styles and took them to Hong Kong, had them change the paint colors, wheels and not pay attention to the clean up of the casting other than removing the sharp edges. Flat packed them on a blister card, called them Road Champs.

Lesney took them to court and after a protracted legal/court proceeding, Lesney lost. It then became open season on everything to be knocked off. And the demise of American industry and manufacturing of all items began.

I know this because I lived next store to a guy that was in the toy dept at K-mart's corporate and was involved in the lawsuit and taking the soon to be knock offs to the overseas companies. So now K-mart is added to the list along with Sears stores in danger of doing a Circuit City with in the year.

We have gone over on this forum about the HD motorcycle parts. No matter how little work or assembly if it fits the guide lines it can be labeled" MADE IN AMERICA " "MADE IN THE U S A " There is a tool and equipment supplier for the auto parts world that does it with sub standard parts from Mexico and tools and equipment from overseas. They have the boxes made and printed here and then place the items in them and the instruction sheets. Along with the hardware package that was picked and bagged by a local handicap company.

Which qualifies as a made "MADE IN THE USA"

Your clothes,food,health and beauty products and a lot of the ingredients are imported into this country.

If you haven't figured it out yet, Welcome to Clinton/Gore/Bush I II/Channey global village, new world order planet. They wanted to bring the 3rd world and the rest of the world to the same level. And they are, they are bringing us down to the 3rd worlds level!

As to the safety of items produced by any of the companies to work under or around. I have had a American made jack come apart will lifting the car it came with. And we have local news about some shlup that gets pinned under a car or truck because the stump or cinder blocks broke about once a year.

In our litigious society, do you think that if they were crushing people left and right. That we wouldn't have heard about from some sleazy lawyer or law firm on the 24hour talking head entertainews networks.

Or that HF lawyers would have taken them off the market. Or corrected the defect.

Harbor Freight started out selling salvage nuts and bolts, and what ever else they could buy at the warehouse at the docks auctions. With one page add in the back of magazines, It is now one of the top ten privately owned companies in the US.

As of last year, all the stores/outlets and everything else to do with them were owned by the family that stared it.

In closing you have to remember
"God had a plan when he had the words Lips,Lawyer,and Liar all start with the letter L." "Most Politicians are lawyers, so plan accordingly" if their lips are moving they most likely are lying :eek:

PTSideshow
01-24-2009, 07:05 AM
As to HF selling Bendpak, I have bought Milwaukee electric tools from them. They buy up the factory rebuilt/overstock inventories when they can't sell them to anybody else.
:D

alanganes
01-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Bend-pak is actually a larger company that does all sorts of lifts:

http://www.bendpak.com/

Thanks, I knew that. Just a (lame) attempt at humor.
Keeping my day job.

hitandmissman
01-24-2009, 08:58 AM
This type of lift is used for wheel or brake service not for getting under the car or truck. Stay out of there.

gnm109
01-24-2009, 12:11 PM
="God had a plan when he had the words Lips,Lawyer,and Liar all start with the letter L." "Most Politicians are lawyers, so plan accordingly" if their lips are moving they most likely are lying :eek:

I hope you never need a lawyer. You seem to be preoccupied with them as objects of your scorn.

Mike Nash
01-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Anyone with good sense knows you have to properly support the vehicle after lifting.

http://www.abrasha.com/misc/image00111.jpg

From http://www.abrasha.com/misc/women.htm

winchman
01-27-2009, 02:39 AM
"It probably doesn't mean anything, but if I were buying something to pick up cars, I don't want it made by someplace named "Bend..."

If you think that's bad, how about a reporter whose name is Elaine Lies.

From a recent article on Reuters:
"The broader Topix rose 4.8 percent to 805.49. (Reporting by Elaine Lies)"

Your Old Dog
01-27-2009, 07:26 AM
I have seen HF stuff in their showroom. I would NOT get under any vehicle that was held up by ANYTHING from HF. NEVER. Actually, I would stay at least as far from it as it is off the ground: it could break on one side and tip over. If it's holding up a Volkswagen, double that distance as the car may roll.

Just my humble opinion.

I agree. I am amazed at how shabby the welding is on my pipe bender, 20 ton press and engine lift. Someone needs to tell them to turn up the heat on the welders :D

Your Old Dog
01-27-2009, 07:33 AM
I hope you never need a lawyer. You seem to be preoccupied with them as objects of your scorn.

Amen. Yesterday I was awarded 2.7mill for having my ankle crushed at a gas station. My attorney worked the past 3 weeks with no time off on my case. I got calls from him on the weekends and evenings to discuss the case. The jury had to answer something like 40 questions on the judges list to reach a verdict. All but one question were unanimous. When an attorney goes to work for you the attitude changes. This firm earned it's 1/3 cut and I don't begrudge them one bit. Now, we wait 30 days for notification of an appeal .

NickH
01-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure I like the look of the scissors style lifts, this is my portable lift;

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q158/magicniner/MxOnLift.jpg

It has a 5500lb capacity, it is definitely solid enough to work under, I had a friend's Toyota BJ40 Landcruiser up on it last week, rock solid!
I bought it after doing a full suspension rebuild on SWMBO's MX5 on axle stands. Believe me after that it's plenty high enough.
The top frame is H shaped allowing access to engine, box, axle and exhaust. Adjustable arms with adjustable rubber pads allow you to lift what you like.
Italian though, not Chinese,
Nick

pcarpenter
01-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Nick-- the lift looks solid enough, but it would appear you have it sitting on a driveway made of bricks!

My dad has a Chinese made 4-poster lift. Truth be told, most of the lifts of that design are made in such a fashion that you would actually have to crush (vertically) some really heavy steel tubing. Even if its got bits of Chinese workers imbedded in the steel, that would still take some doing. He had a 5k# plus pickup on it for a long period of time and I believe its rated to 10K. Of course, this doesn't have much to do with the bolt-cutter design of the original post. I would agree its not for working under...you couldn't stand or sit under it very comfortably and there is no room to roll a creeper around. Its probably just for doing tire rotations, brake work etc. It would be interesting to read the manual and see if it specifically warns off being under the car while on the lift.

Paul

NickH
01-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Paul,
Everyone thinks that it's stone blocks, often even when they're standing on the drive. It's actually impressed concrete in excess of 8 inches in depth, great for jetwashing away those annoying oil drips,
Nick

winchman
01-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I see some ramps. Do you have to put the car on the ramps to get the lift under it?

Roger

PTSideshow
01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Amen. Yesterday I was awarded 2.7mill for having my ankle crushed at a gas station. My attorney worked the past 3 weeks with no time off on my case. I got calls from him on the weekends and evenings to discuss the case. The jury had to answer something like 40 questions on the judges list to reach a verdict. All but one question were unanimous. When an attorney goes to work for you the attitude changes. This firm earned it's 1/3 cut and I don't begrudge them one bit. Now, we wait 30 days for notification of an appeal .

My point was about lawyers as politicians and that if their lips are moving they are lying!
Most Politicians are lawyers, so plan accordingly"
I have a number of friends that are lawyers and a judge not politicians remember those famous words "depends on what is, is" and look at the lawyer politico's in Ill. Detroit with more to be going down with the new payoff scandal. and Washington. from $90,000 in the freezer to the bridge to no where.

Get real lawyers are like every other job, some good some bad.
As YOD said when you needed them you need them you only hope that you get a honest one !:D

gnm109 you can't take the net and posting to serious.:eek:
As to my sig line I never did play a lawyer. Just a professor, background people and zombies along with a judge! As the foghorn leg horn said" It's a joke son "

And YOD, glad it has worked out for you, I know its been awhile since it happened. Now don't you go all up town on us poor folk!

Your Old Dog
01-28-2009, 10:02 AM
............. Now don't you go all up town on us poor folk!

I'd get kicked all the way back home! They wouldn't want me :D

Alistair Hosie
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
too dangerous to get under that contraption you would need a much wider base sorry not for the faint hearted but great for getting his lordship out of his favourite bed or smoking chair:DAlistair

NickH
01-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I see some ramps. Do you have to put the car on the ramps to get the lift under it?

Roger

Yes, I need to lift the back an inch the roll the lift under the MX-5 but that's because the job I did on the suspension included fully height adjustable coil oer shock units & I lowered the car some.
I make a mean rod for my own back :D
Nick