PDA

View Full Version : 1930's tech meets....1930's tech...

torker
01-24-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey guys! My sled wrecking yard has been just nuts lately...and I'm welding aluminum sled parts like there's no tomorrow.
I had to pull a late nighter last night to finally get this M head mounted on the Ohio.
NOT an ideal setup...but it could work. The head will swing around in three indexed positions (or anything weird inbetween) and it will tilt sideways as well.
In real life I'd have to take the horizontal cutter out to get it back far enough but this is just a trial run so it'll be ok.
TADAAAA...the 90V motor I got from David will work on this!!! I just have to make an adapter plate. Took the old 575V motor off after I took the pics and got the mount figured in my head.
I suppose...to make this set up the best...I'd have to take the overarm support off and mill a big flat on the top of it...flip the mount upside right then I'd gain about 4" of Z. But then I'd bugger the pretty lines of the Ohio overarm :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/IMG_0061.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/IMG_0062.jpg
Russ

A.K. Boomer
01-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Hey guys! My sled wrecking yard has been just nuts lately...and I'm welding aluminum sled parts like there's no tomorrow.

Russ that looks like its going to be one versatile moesheen, (and bombproof)

I couldnt help thinking about your comment about the aluminum sled parts, Personally I will never weld aluminum again --- I have no use for anything thats mild grade stuff and will not take a tig torch to the good stuff with a high "T" rating and turn it to junk, Im just wondering how you get around this?
Are these "sleds" bought from wal-mart or are you just welding up belly pans or something? Anything with a heat treat that is structural is going to be turned to crap --- and unlike steel a typical shop has no viable means of getting the strength back, wut say U? :confused:

torker
01-24-2009, 01:23 PM
Boomer...the main things I weld are tunnel coolers, rads and castings from the drives etc.
I also weld bulk heads...high strength areas. Most is fishplated and is stronger than original. All common sense stuff really.