PDA

View Full Version : Another couple of Gizmos - simple stuff for students and fun

spope14
01-24-2009, 02:03 PM
A few other gizmos, the one I really teach with is the "right Angle Transmission". I got that out of "Projects in Metal", an old edition probably 1995 of so. The basic idea is to create a right angle drive device that runs smoothly without gears. The 5 drive rods are .093 drill rod and weld rod, the students actually design and program a bend jig and make the CNC machine bend the drive rods to 90 degrees +/- 1/2 degree, which means lots of arc adjustment. The handle was kind of rigged up by me, but is now CNC bent. The frame is also CNC manufactured after one student programmed it up because he was a bit irate that i wanted them to manually mill it out. The wheels are manually machined and drilled, the students have to trig out the holes, indicate the drive wheels to .001 or better on center, then drill them on a Bridgeport out of a 5-C collett block, which has to be indicated .0005 to the spindle perpendicular.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/spope14/DSC05135.jpg

The other parts were just made by me and a few students who were trying to make a "wild part" in our own little version of the masterCam wildest part competition in my shop. Start with a 3/8 ball end mill, end with a 1/8 ball end mill. The criteria is to create a .0002 or better "wave", which requires a bit of thought in the increments of degrees in the pattern and some additional use of CAD as a tool and trig to see how they may do it. Fastest part run within the speed and feed criteria as well as meeting the quality criteria is the key, because if you run it too smooth you almost double the time, running not smooth enough does not meet quality. The whole "roughing" and finishing thought and planning process is key as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/spope14/DSC05133.jpg

Just sharing a few simple things. Students love this stuff. They like making tools for the tool box when they are going into the trade and know why, but some just don't get the why until they make a few smaller "gadgets" and gizmos to gain the love and appreciate the true artistry of machining first.

Yes, the students do make air motors as well as parallels, hammers, tap wrenches, and some real cool levels

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/spope14/DSC00520.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/spope14/DSC01961.jpg

Circlip
01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
If you let them use a bit more metal, the right angle drive model could be air powered, and I hope the two Pauls don't come knocking cos someones "Lifted" their Logo's. :D Unless you can appreciate the processes involved in making such "Simple" objects and do a mind map, it's easy to glance and pass on by.

Regards Ian.

danlb
01-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Do the bent peices on the rght angle drive slip into the driving wheel and rotate within the driven one? How smooth is it?

It's a great idea.

Dan

spope14
01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
The legs slip in holes on both the drive and driven. It runs very smooth. The design considerations included:

Right angles having to be less than 1/2 degree error.

Including the bend radius in the figuring between the drive and driven wheel

length of legs - when at the top of the stroke, the legs are flush with the backs of the wheels, when at the bottom of the stroke (the legs almost hitting on the radius of the bend) the legs not being so long they hit the mounting screws- compactness of design....

The wheels were already a size determined by me from the original plan - which had NO dimensions, I kind of interpolated them - don't quite remember how...

The design also had to have exactly spaced holes within .003 to .005 True position of the legs bound up.

The hole diameter for the .093 legs was .101.

Lots of thought went into the right angle transmission, most during just plain making it fit to the wheels and frame which were - as I said, interpolated from a picture.

lynnl
01-24-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking (yeah it's a struggle :D) that sometime a year or three ago we had a link posted here that show that right angle drive in motion.

Anybody else remember that?

dp
01-24-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm thinking (yeah it's a struggle :D) that sometime a year or three ago we had a link posted here that show that right angle drive in motion.

Anybody else remember that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZRKNlY7enM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F58EKhapHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwmG1jnl0I (turn down the sound!)

Doozer
01-24-2009, 05:48 PM
What is this OCC bullshlt? If you want to advertise, put YOUR name on it and be proud of it. To heck with glorifying somebody else. Do you work for them or do they put bread in your mouth? If so, fine. But I believe wanting to be associated with a brand name is for FOLLOWERS not independent thinkers or leaders. I never wear clothes that has any brand logo on them. I may wear a Ford baseball cap. That is because both of my grandfathers came to the United States to work in the Ford stamping plant, and that is the reason I was here to grow up in this great country. But of you display brand names to be cool and be liked by your peer group, you may want to rethink things. You can do what you want. This is just my opinion.

--Doozer

BillH
01-24-2009, 06:07 PM
The students have more talent than both Pauls. If Paul made that, he would of tack welded on some gay looking model rockets and other non functional garbage then farmed out all the hard work to some one to actually make it look decent.

barts
01-24-2009, 06:19 PM
... tack welded on some gay looking model rockets and other non functional garbage...

I would prefer that your posts not dwell on just how model rockets make you feel; I know they're very Freudian and all, but worrying about their sexual proclivities is really off-topic.

dockrat
01-24-2009, 06:30 PM
WHEW!!! Talk about fast thread drift!!!!!:D

Teenage_Machinist
01-24-2009, 06:37 PM
WTF?

Outbursts are weird and off topic.

BillH
01-24-2009, 06:42 PM
WTF?

Outbursts are weird and off topic.

Ok so Barts and Teenage Machinist are gay...

Sanfrancisco bay area?? No WONDER your not chasing girls and talking about health care. Your looking for some government to pay for your aids medicine.

Your Old Dog
01-24-2009, 06:48 PM
WHEW!!! Talk about fast thread drift!!!!!:D

My thoughts exactly! We hadn't gone but 4 or 5 post and blood was flowing freely! I'm going to duck for cover and see what the next 5 post bring :D We'll be looking for an ME.

I don't want to be accused of being On Topic but, neat project and I'll bet the kids enjoyed it a lot.

Teenage_Machinist
01-24-2009, 07:29 PM
San Fransisco Bay Area: The Republic of Unbigotedness!

Gayness: I'm not.

Girls: I did never say I did not care about them!

The angle coupling: I have heard of an engine made that way. LittleMachineSHop sells plans as the Elbow Engine. Is that what you mean, Circlip?

barts
01-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Ok so Barts and Teenage Machinist are gay...

Sanfrancisco bay area?? No WONDER your not chasing girls and talking about health care. Your looking for some government to pay for your aids medicine.

I was trying to point out that using the word "gay" as a pejorative slur is either marks you as a bigot, or someone still stuck in junior high. Name
calling isn't exactly polite or related to machining.

Getting back to machining, I'd like to find some plans for one of those tap wrenches; that looks like a nice project. What I really should make is a big wrench ala the nice Starret tap wrench handles; I used a regular tap wrench w/ the sliding handle to cut some 7/16" threads in 4130; that hurt.

- Bart

Teenage_Machinist
01-24-2009, 08:15 PM
I used one to cut 1/2-13 in CRS, easier but still really tough to do especially without marring everything. Ended up using pipe extensions.

Fasttrack
01-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I was trying to point out that using the word "gay" as a pejorative slur is either marks you as a bigot, or someone still stuck in junior high. Name
calling isn't exactly polite or related to machining.

Getting back to machining, I'd like to find some plans for one of those tap wrenches; that looks like a nice project. What I really should make is a big wrench ala the nice Starret tap wrench handles; I used a regular tap wrench w/ the sliding handle to cut some 7/16" threads in 4130; that hurt.

- Bart

Personally, I put my taps in the mill and use the spindle momentum to drive them. If they're big, you can do it under power too. Makes it go much quicker and with less tricep pain the next morning :D

barts
01-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Personally, I put my taps in the mill and use the spindle momentum to drive them. If they're big, you can do it under power too. Makes it go much quicker and with less tricep pain the next morning :D

Do you have a slip clutch anywhere, or are you just relying on the tap slipping in the jaws of the chuck if something grabs?

- Bart

spope14
01-24-2009, 11:17 PM
What a slam. First, if you want the plans for the tap wrench, email me and I will scan them for you. No problem. I can also provide plans for the RT angle Tranny and even the "Captive nut". It may take time though.

Second - the offensive level. Let's talk about this a moment, the level that a student made. The parallellness of the level was .001 end to end over a 12 inch area, perpendicular within .0012. The slots milled and ground, as are all surfaces, the slots also meet this requirement. The bubbles were drilled in, reamed and put in and one actually shimmed up eonugh to meet a level standard set with a Starrett 12 inch precision level that has the .0005 increnemt bubbles. The offending logos - the "OCC" you can see a bit of was done on mastercam, before "MasterCam Art, which I just got. It was programmed "point to point" and smoothed by the student from a piece of graph paper, then drawn in mastercam, smoothed, and engraved several times before he was happy. I do NOT form opinions and tell a student they can't do logos, unless they are alcohol, sex, drug or such related (though i do let RUGER Logos go, they employ many students and this was approved by the admin). THE POINT WAS THE WORK!!! I have several levels with many different engravings, just had this pic handy on photobucket.

I was showing the work. I always thought this page was about showing off work, learning from others, sharing from others.

I miss THRUD!!!!! Dave, you out there, best to you and blessings my friend.

Doozer, I have posted on this page many years and found many a friend on this page. I have never been slammed like this before. If I were to say what I really think, I would be banned from the page.

Duzzer,
My work is my machining, but also my students. I was "advertising" as you say, my students and their work. You think I am hiding, here is MY real name, my address, and my emails. I have no problen with that. I am proud of what I do, I put MY name on their work. Here is what you request, look forward to hearing from you.

Scott Pope
Machine Tool / Precision Machining Instructor
Sugar River Valley Regional Technical Center
111 South Street
Claremont, NH 03743

Ph (603) 543-4291
FAX (603) 543-4296

email (use both to assure timely contact)
spope@claremont.k12.nh.us
scottpope@verizon.net

Doozer
01-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Scott-
The workmanship on the level and all the students parts looks top notch.
It is a free country. This brand name thing is my personal opinion, as stated before. Many people display their brand allegiance by wearing hats and shirts with designers names or logos on them. That is fine for them. I would not wear that stuff that advertises for someone else. That is just me. I was just expressing my point of view. I see life differently than most others. I know I stand alone on many subjects. Thats fine with me too.
Being a machinist and understanding precision and quality, then seeing the junk that OCC builds, and how the public thinks it is so great especially strikes a cord with me. I do not have a problem with you or your students level. I just have very little faith in the people of the world to be true to themselves. I think it is great that you are a teacher. My good friend is a HS technology teacher, and I help him out with stuff for the class when ever I can. He is teaching about steppers and servos and their drive circuits. His class made a robot and it won prizes at local competitions. I machined many components for it and I am happy to help the kids. So I am not putting down you efforts one bit. I was just going off on why people support brands with such blind allegiance.
--Doozer

wierdscience
01-24-2009, 11:57 PM
Neat projects Scott,looks like you have another batch of talent coming up this year.

I dunno what the big deal is with the Logo's,the kid who made it can do whatever floats his boat,he done good IMHO.I hope he/she didn't see the crapfest that insued.

Teenage_Machinist
01-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Frankly I find this a weird place to have an outburst.

Anyway, that is really impressive. I wonder if I coudl make a level without a reference.

wierdscience
01-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Frankly I find this a weird place to have an outburst.

Anyway, that is really impressive. I wonder if I coudl make a level without a reference.

Depends,do you know how to calibrate a level?

Fasttrack
01-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Do you have a slip clutch anywhere, or are you just relying on the tap slipping in the jaws of the chuck if something grabs?

- Bart

Nope - too cheap. Just snug the drill chuck up by hand for the little ones. For bigger ones I use the chuck key. Then I keep one hand on the on/off switch and one hand on the brake lever. It's a real ass-clencher the first time you try it, but once you get a feel for it and break a couple of taps, its not so bad :D

ProGunOne
01-25-2009, 02:35 AM
Very nice!

Circlip
01-25-2009, 07:09 AM
Gee, sorry Scott. My reference to the OCC logo was meant PURELY as a joke, (thank heavens I put a Grinny in) due to the volumetric outbursts portrayed on the programmes we see. Sadly, what we see on TV and also read on some forums gives an erronious impression of the typical American. Yorkshiremen are often stereotyped as Scotsmen with all the generosity wrung out of them, or that we all idolise an alledged wife beating cricketer.

Regards Ian.

Yes T-M, was looking for a vid clip of the elbow engine.

spope14
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I have never watched OCC or West Coast personally, don't watch much TV at all but for Cold Case and Without a Trace - this because they come on at 4:00 and 5:00 a.m. where I live and this is my only time I have a few free moments.

If I were to watch one of the goofy chopper shows, it would probably be the one with the guy married to Sandra Bullock because I would be hoping Sandra would make a guest appearance.

Thanks for the comments circlip, knew that of your post, got the grinny thing. .

Peter N
01-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Yorkshiremen are often stereotyped as Scotsmen with all the generosity wrung out of them...

Never heard that one, but it's worth remembering :D

Nice work from the students there Scott.

Peter