PDA

View Full Version : Milling Machine on Lathe

Bones
01-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Was following the thread re:milling on the lathe, which referred back to some pics. of a milling machine mounted on the x-slide to do some simple milling.
My question: what results would on get by milling on a turning shaft with carriage feed engaged? Is this something that is done, or has been tried?
It seems an interesting possibility to me, it wouldnt do anything a regular cutting too wouldnt do, but am curious as to what sort of finish one would get, as well as speed of removing metal.

bones

S_J_H
01-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Typically excellent results if everything is setup properly.
Sometimes called "live tooling". Could use a small milling head or grinding head(tool post grinder), depends if the spindle can be locked into position how versatile it will be.
Can possibly be used for milling , thread milling, grinding etc.

Steve

Teenage_Machinist
01-24-2009, 09:58 PM
One might use a Taig headstock.

Bones
01-24-2009, 10:07 PM
tnks for the reply, will have to see if can find out any info on the subject, now that I know what its called.

bones

Spin Doctor
01-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Was following the thread re:milling on the lathe, which referred back to some pics. of a milling machine mounted on the x-slide to do some simple milling.
My question: what results would on get by milling on a turning shaft with carriage feed engaged? Is this something that is done, or has been tried?
It seems an interesting possibility to me, it wouldnt do anything a regular cutting too wouldnt do, but am curious as to what sort of finish one would get, as well as speed of removing metal.

bones

On most lathes wouldn't the spindle have to be running for the carraige feed to work? Even a Hardinge HLV has an electrical interlock to prevent feeding with the spindle motor off. This is one instance where mounting a Servo type mill feed on the carraige makes a lot of sense. With indexing plates you could do spline and gear work along with long keyways

NickH
01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
You get a very nice finish if you use a carbide milling cutter to machine a turning shaft, tolerance for interrupted cuts is very good too, I cleaned up the shaft on a single phase 3hp motor where some git had stick welded a coupling on the end, came out smooth as silk.
My original motivation for picking up a small milling head for my cross slide was to allow machining of helical grooves, splines, keyways and small gears before I got my mill & mill drill. It's still the easiest way I have for helical milling,
Regards,
Nick

John Stevenson
01-25-2009, 01:22 PM
On most lathes wouldn't the spindle have to be running for the carraige feed to work? Even a Hardinge HLV has an electrical interlock to prevent feeding with the spindle motor off. This is one instance where mounting a Servo type mill feed on the carraige makes a lot of sense. With indexing plates you could do spline and gear work along with long keyways

The Sieg C4 can carry a rear mounted milling head and has a clutch that disconnects the spindle drive but still runs the leadscrew and cross slide screw by it's variable speed motor.

aboard_epsilon
01-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I've got one of these

http://www.lathes.co.uk/amolco/

its suposed to adapt to a myford and boxford ..
so that means southbend as well ..
although ive yet to see a pic of a boxford with one on ...

so can really work out how it will go on a south bend .

all the best.markj

NickH
01-25-2009, 02:16 PM
I've got one of these

http://www.lathes.co.uk/amolco/

its suposed to adapt to a myford and boxford ..
so that means southbend as well ..
although ive yet to see a pic of a boxford with one on ...

so can really work out how it will go on a south bend .

all the best.markj

Lucky beggar,
I chased loads of those but they all went for too much, I think the Myford fit is the reason, (I hope that second hand myford prices hold up 'till I can flog mine & get an Emco VP 10 or 11),
Nick