PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Identification

Bill Graham
01-25-2009, 02:13 AM
I picked found an old, neglected, metal lathe at an estate sale today, the price was right and after a quick inspection I thought at worst I could use some of the tooling & chucks on my 10" logan. I looked all over and couldn't find a manufacturer stamp, plate, or inscription, but using a borrowed tape measure it looked like it was an 11" lathe and the spindle matched my 1 1/2 x 8.

Got the beast home and got my first oops; found that what I thought was 1 1/2 x 8 was actually 1 5/8 x 8. I've looked over every inch of this lathe and can find no manufacturer identification of any kind. There misc casting on some of the parts including the bed and there is also a serial number stamped in the far right side

How do I go about finding out who made this lathe? Is there a website somewhere that leads you through identifying machine attributes to correctly identify?

What kind of additional information can I post that would make it easier to assist me?

Thanks

Bill Graham
Phoenix, AZ

Fasttrack
01-25-2009, 02:17 AM
A picture might help! :)

Also, you can see if you find it on www.lathes.co.uk . It doesn't have every lathe manufacturer, but it has a pretty good number. Usually if you post a picture, someone here will recognize it.

tigmusky
01-25-2009, 10:47 AM
let see a pic someone here will get you pointed the right way.

Bill Graham
01-26-2009, 01:47 AM
here's a link to a webpage where I put photos of headstock, carriage, tailstock, and ways.

http://www.techstool.com/garage/lathe2.htm

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Bill Graham
Phoenix, AZ

Mark Hockett
01-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Bill,
It looks like a 1920-1930 South Bend.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page6.html

Bill Graham
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Mark,

Thanks, that looks just like mine ( but without any southbend identification ).

I think with some cleaning it should turn out to be a nice machine for me, and with it now being properly identified I should be able to find any missing pieces I might still need.

Thanks again for your help.

Bill Graham
Phoenix, AZ

Teenage_Machinist
01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
+1 on southbendyness. My school has a lathe like that left over from when they had a metal shop .

Oldbrock
01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
looks like SB to me, go to practical machinist site and go down to south bend lathes and give them the serial # they will identify it for you. Peter

tiptop
01-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Bill,

Just a guess, but I would say somewhere between 1927 and 1931 SB. The South Bend Forum will have your correct answer.

Jay