PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Source

madman
01-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Of machines. I have been lucky since all the Layoffs i have a couple guys helping in my shop. I am also getting the hydronic heating system going soon. Then i can work on my engine projects, I found this site from looking for a boring machine and a honing machine to do Big Bike Engines. I was surprised at the Pricing very reasonable indeed. You do have to request pricing so here you are
www.sj-mc.com

jkeyser14
01-25-2009, 06:00 PM
They may be cheap, but not after you ship them here from China... Take a look at the company's address.

camdigger
01-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Say what you like, but this is the first source I've seen for new shapers. Too bad they're so big (16"+). I've been considering a shaper for years, but funds and opportunity have never come together at the same time...:rolleyes:

Cam

lazlo
01-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Pretty neat. Is that a copy of the Cincinnati?

http://www.sj-mc.com/en/UploadFile/2006_10_3_63092_11638.jpg

Mcgyver
01-26-2009, 11:52 AM
theres a similar effort out india as well.

I get this image of a bunch of chineese or indians formulating their business strategy hunched over a 1940's tool catalogue left somewhere by some GI......either that or they've seen so many come in on the scrap barges they thought we were going through them like hot cakes so it would be a hot selling if reverse engineer one.....I mean come on, we like shapers because we like neat old machines, but tell me there's a business case in putting them into production now? :D

Michael Edwards
01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
theres a similar effort out india as well.

I get this image of a bunch of chineese or indians formulating their business strategy hunched over a 1940's tool catalogue left somewhere by some GI......either that or they've seen so many come in on the scrap barges they thought we were going through them like hot cakes so it would be a hot selling if reverse engineer one.....I mean come on, we like shapers because we like neat old machines, but tell me there's a business case in putting them into production now? :D

Here is a link that has some offerings from china as well as india.

http://www.machinetools.com/MT/machines/index.tmpl?page=listview&lvt=Group&MachineID=2265&MachineClass=&CNC=&start=1

If you like something a little more modern like a cnc shaper...

http://www.machinetools.com/MT/machines/index.tmpl?page=detail&ListingID=116772286234960405

ME

Mcgyver
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
yeah i could use a cnc shaper right about now.....making another twenty cartridges for drehblitz QC tool holder....if you've ever seen them they have a fairly complex profile, curves, angles, lots of surfaces...a cnc shaper would be perfect!

lets see, i have the shaper, steppers, home made controller boards that more or less work, power supply, ........nah, I do NOT need another project to do to finish the project to finish the project and so on :)

Teenage_Machinist
01-26-2009, 01:11 PM
CNC Shaper:: GAH! MY BRAIN! :D :eek:

I suppose that within my lifetime "old iron" shapers will become almost completely exhausted. I'm not sure what a shaper does that a mill doesnt, other than some oddities such as non round holes and square corners that make it a secondary, and use of offhand ground tools, which make it good for HSMs and for roughing out work.

Anyway, while a shaper does not initially seem suited to CNC, I think that if you used indexable tools it could work pretty well.

One could incorporate ram position sensing sort of like spindle encoding for a CNC lathe. If the ram was able to be moved with some amount of precision, one might add usefullness to the machine by mounting a small milling head on the end of the ram.

madman
02-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I get guys coming in my shop and saying why do you have that old thing here(my 14 inch elliot shaper) I tell them cause i like it. I buildt a plc controlled(thanx dave cofer) and a large ground table extension plate for mine ,But have yet to finish finall assembly. Its at 85 percent completion. Just Punch in number of rotations and puch button till done will be nice. Also i never ever seen anything like it elsewhere. I think the old stuff still has merit in the home shops. Some people just diont know what can be done with these old machines, handy indeed.

hardtail
02-08-2009, 05:23 PM
There was a Van Norman boring bar for sale on Edmonton craigslist or kijiji, don't know if it would suite your purpose or not??????

hardtail
02-08-2009, 05:23 PM
There was a Van Norman boring bar for sale on Edmonton craigslist or kijiji, don't know if it would suite your purpose or not?????? I could probably pick it up and hold onto it for a decade or so............grin