PDA

View Full Version : A new welder on the way and a question.

G.A. Ewen
01-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I just ordered a Miller Diversion 165 AC/DC high frequency TIG welder. Looking forward to getting to know it.

My question; Do any of you own a Lincoln MIG-Pac 180? I'm thinking of getting one and would like some feedback. Do you like it for light work? Ever used it with a spool gun on aluminum?

rbjscott
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Just a thought why not stay with Miller. I have a Lincoln Tig and Miller Mig.and have no complaints, both are larger than the ones you are considering. My old tig was an Ecco-Tig by Miller--one fine Machine. Any major Mfg. will be fine.

rancherbill
01-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I just ordered a Miller Diversion 165 AC/DC high frequency TIG welder. Looking forward to getting to know it.

My question; Do any of you own a Lincoln MIG-Pac 180? I'm thinking of getting one and would like some feedback. Do you like it for light work? Ever used it with a spool gun on aluminum?

I am looking at the same thing, I think. It is the Power Mig 180C. The Mig Pac 180 appears to be the same thing. It is the Canadian Retail unit. I'm in Canada, where have you seen the Power Mig 180? I can find the Mig Pac at the normal welding outlets.

The Power Mig and Mig Pac 180C appear to have Continuous output vs the Mig Pac 180T which is a Tapped transformer with, I think, 5 or 6 output settings.

G.A. Ewen
01-26-2009, 05:36 AM
rancherbill,

For those of us in Canada the MIG-Pac 180 is on sale at CTC this week. I did a comparison of the specs on the Lincoln Electric web site and they appear to be the same as the 180T.

rancherbill
01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
rancherbill,

For those of us in Canada the MIG-Pac 180 is on sale at CTC this week. I did a comparison of the specs on the Lincoln Electric web site and they appear to be the same as the 180T.

I think the Continuous is better that the tapped. I think it give more flexibility in the long term. They both have the same options in spool guns etc.

What's the price at Canadian Tire? I've sent some emails to get prices at their other outlets.

macona
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
FWIW, that spoolgun for the lincolns is a total POS. Really flimsy. Motor is smaller than one out of most toys. Made in china, but so is the Miller cheap-o spool gun.

G.A. Ewen
01-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I think the Continuous is better that the tapped. I think it give more flexibility in the long term. They both have the same options in spool guns etc.

What's the price at Canadian Tire? I've sent some emails to get prices at their other outlets.

I always liked the Lincoln tapped system. I got the MIG-Pac from CTC today for $599.99. In my area the best price that I could find for the continuous rheostat machine was $300,00 more. Everything else about the machine is the same so I couldn't justify the extra cost. (which by, the way, is more than enough for the spool gun) Going out to the shop tonight to test it out with the Flux-Core wire.

rancherbill
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I always liked the Lincoln tapped system. I got the MIG-Pac from CTC today for $599.99. In my area the best price that I could find for the continuous rheostat machine was $300,00 more. Everything else about the machine is the same so I couldn't justify the extra cost. (which by, the way, is more than enough for the spool gun) Going out to the shop tonight to test it out with the Flux-Core wire.

I'm off to Can Tire to get one in ten minutes. It's a good price. Nobody is flexible on price for the Continuous Tap units.

SWMBO innocently said "Why don't you use your Canadian Tire Money?" My forehead is still sore from the "Doh ! :eek: " experience. I have been carefully saving it for a while. I forget that you can actually use it to buy stuff:D . So I 'pay" $120 less cash. :)

Thank you to you and my wife. :)

G.A. Ewen
01-30-2009, 07:56 PM
My MIG-Pac 180 works dandy with the flux core. I ordered the spool gun today.

I Miller TIG arrived today so I play with it a bit this weekend.

rancherbill
01-31-2009, 09:51 AM
I had a Billy Mays day.

As I said I was off to Canadian Tire yesterday. Just prior to leaving I checked stock online. I was pleasantly surprised, the local store, in town of 20,000, had stock and all the close 'big' stores in Calgary were out of stock. That's unusual. So I was off to the local store.

I found them in the store and cue Billy Mays
http://images.broadwayworld.com/photoops/shieldschicago/rookeShieldsBackontheBoards008-vi.jpg

There was one there that had the BONUS pack tied on top of it. The bonus pack included a real Lincoln Electric chipping hammer, a real LE brush, a real LE pair of gloves, a real LE soapstone holder, and a Real LE pack of soapstones. Now i have doubles. They look like regular ones, but, they have real LE logos so obviously they will make me weld better and look more professional (NOT).
A $47.00 dollar value FREE.

So, i carefully compared the two products. They were the same except for the bonus pack tied on top.

But WAIT there's more.
http://images.broadwayworld.com/photoops/shieldschicago/rookeShieldsBackontheBoards008-vi.jpg
I spun the box around and was another price tag on the box. It was $449.99. I guess it was leftover stock from a previous sale and had been marked down by the local store manager. I went to the cashier and it scanned at the sale price, I gave her my CT money and I was off.

I still am smiling at the good deal. It was on 'sale' for $150 off and found a box that was an additional $150 off plus I got a Bonus pack valued at $47.00
:) :)