PDA

View Full Version : 5c collet chuck

klemchuk
01-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Has anyone got am opinion on the quality of the 5c collet chuck that is sold by Little Machine Shop. I realize it's made in China.

John

Liger Zero
01-28-2009, 03:45 PM
I'll second a request for information. I too am considering a collet chuck and this is one of the options on the table.

John Stevenson
01-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Got one, LMS gets his from the same factory as mine came from and the quality is top notch.
Ground all over and once dialed in to the backplate I can't get any reading on a 0.0005" indicator.

Liger Zero
01-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Is it a direct bolt-on replacement for the standard 3-jaw or do I need an adapter? My lathe is a Clarke mini-lathe, same as the Horrible Freight and Gristly ones.

Alistair Hosie
01-28-2009, 04:58 PM
I bought one with a d1-4 camlock it's a beauty delivered all in 99 a great deal. from Chronos UK they send to the states.Alistair

Peter N
01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Got one, LMS gets his from the same factory as mine came from and the quality is top notch.
Ground all over and once dialed in to the backplate I can't get any reading on a 0.0005" indicator.

I take it that's from Ketan at ArcEurotrade? Got mine on Monday and it does look very well finished, but only just machined the backplate, so I haven't got round to testing/checking it yet.

Peter

ahidley
01-29-2009, 08:50 AM
I bought a Chinese one and it was a direct bolt on to my HF 3 in 1. No back plate required (the 3 in 1 came stock with a 5 inch chuck)

Your Old Dog
01-29-2009, 09:00 AM
Is this the one we're talking about? I have a nice set of 5c's but no lathe chuck.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3047&category=

Peter N
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Is this the one we're talking about? I have a nice set of 5c's but no lathe chuck.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3047&category=

Yep, that's the same as the one I've just finished fitting, except the chuck key is different on mine as it has a straight shank with the safety-neurosis spring.

I can confirm that the runout on the inside nose taper is less than 0.0005", and I get about 0.001" on a 1" piece of silver steel (drill rod) around 2" out from the chuck.

Mind you, I did curse a bit earlier on today...when I was getting about 0.015" runout on it.
Spent ages trying to 'set' it with the backplate and getting nowhere until I took it off and spotted the bit of squashed swarf between the D1-3 spindle nose taper and the matching taper in the backplate :o

Peter

Your Old Dog
01-29-2009, 10:41 AM
well if that's the case I see one in my immediate future:)

topct
01-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Keep in mind that they would stick out at least 4 inches from the end of the spindle. On a small lathe this is quite a bit.

I'm looking at the LMS ER collet chuck or a home made one for my SB9.

Duffy
01-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I bought mine from CDCO Tools and the fit and finish are first rate. I have to fit it to a D1-3 camlok back plate, but the two pieces came to $174.00. A great deal I thought.

ProGunOne
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Bought one a couple of weeks ago from CDCO myself for $139.00. Have yet to mount ot try it.

3t-
02-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Looking at getting one of these also so am looking for opinions on the "adjustable" version vs the non.

CDCO goes about $140 for the non adjust

LMS goes about $200 for same version

LatheMaster gets $280 for the version with the 4 set screw adjust-ability to eliminate run out.

Any thoughts on one vs the other would be appreciated

BobWarfield
02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Mine was excellent. Was a shame it languished on a shelf for a year and a half before I finally mounted it.

I got the accuracy and repeatability down to a few tenths.

One thing to note--the outside of the chuck is ground too, but it isn't at all accurately registered to the taper. Be sure you line up on the taper when mounting!

Here is an article on how I went about mounting mine:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCColletChuck.htm

Cheers,

BW

Spin Doctor
02-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Keep in mind that they would stick out at least 4 inches from the end of the spindle. On a small lathe this is quite a bit.

I'm looking at the LMS ER collet chuck or a home made one for my SB9.

All the more reason IMO for someone (Grizzly, JS, Lathemaster, somebody) to pressure the machine builders in China to build their small lathes with a larger spindle that takes a 5C internally. I know it would add costs as the shafts are larger in diameter and the bearings would be a bit more. But I would think it should be doable. In the smaller lathes like the 9x20s a 5C collet chuck is just to damn far out from the spindle bearings IMO. Heck the work is farther away from the front bearing than the front one is from the back