PDA

View Full Version : OT - towing a truck with a plow??

Metalmelter
01-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Here's my situation. I'm trying to bring home a good work truck I can have for cheap. It's a Ford F150, 8ft bed, standard cab with a Meyers plow up front. It runs but died - probably something silly since it's been sitting for a year. I want to flatbed this thing home. The flatbed company says I need to remove the plow first???:eek: You have to be kidding me. You mean each time a truck with a plow that dies on the road you have to leave the plow behind? I don't think so... Is this guy just playing me for an idiot or something?? That plow is over 600lbs and I'm going nuts over this. Driving it home is not an option at the moment. Do they make rollbacks that can handle the length of this truck with a plow?? I hope so :confused:

Nick1911
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Depending on how far you're going, I've used a tow strap before to move dead cars. It's very effective in that capacity.

Metalmelter
01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Thought about that tow strap but all one needs is for that to snap and the trouble begins. Plus, that's generally illegal around here as well. I just wanted to see if there were any tow truck operators on the board that might have done this before. I think it can be done...;)

Andrew_D
01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Already posted my ideas on PM

Best of luck getting the new toy home!

Andrew

Metalmelter
01-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks Andrew ;) I'll have to look later. Looks to me the PM site has gone down. I can't get there and it times out. Oh well...

doctor demo
01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know about back east in the winter, but out west you can get anything towed or hauled. I was once in the unfortunate situation of needing a tow in the midle of the night in the midle of nowhere. One call to AAA and a tow truck came out , looked over the situation, radioed for a biger truck and left. An hour later the larger truck showed up , hooked up and away we went. F 450 four door with a 25' two axle flatbed equipment trailer behind.
The only glitch was the driver was not hapy about having to drop the drive shaft while a 20mph wind was kicking up a mini sand storm under the truck.

Steve

wierdscience
01-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Could you bring a battery out and lift the plow?That's probably what the guy is worried about,dragging the plow on and off.

Also an operator with a 2-ton roll back truck will usually haul more weird stuff than a guy with a 1-ton rig.

Roy Andrews
01-28-2009, 09:55 PM
take the blade off and put it in the bed. unless it's a big v plow you can just slide it then stand it on end turn it and lay it into the bed. push it to the front and strap it down. they slide and move the best right on the face of the plow.

x39
01-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Do as Roy says, he knows what he's talking about. I've done the same numerous times.

v860rich
01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
You just need to find a guy with a large wrecker equiped with a wheel lift. We tow them with that setup.
THANX RICH
People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people

Metalmelter
01-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. The wheel lift I hadn't thought about and will look into that. The plow, according to Meyer's specs, is anywhere between 550 to 600+ lbs. I don't think I can get that into the bed to easily without dropping something :eek: The plow works and will lift with a separate battery, so with that raised all the way up I might have a chance. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Your Old Dog
01-29-2009, 08:27 AM
The cutting edge of the blade is the problem, it's hardened steel and would likely damage their cable. Ask them if you prepare a 2" diameter pipe by slitting it and putting it on the cutting edge of the blade will they do it.? Does it absolutely have to go up blade first?

Removing the blade should simply be a matter of removing 2 bolts, the chain and the hydraulic lines. A simple matter. Two or three guys could then lift it into the back of the pickup bed and tie it down. If the plow guys are talking about the plows super-structure then tell them to go Pis$up a rope :D

Metalmelter
01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
If the plow guys are talking about the plows super-structure then tell them to go Pis$up a rope :D

LOL :D An old piece of pvc slit would do the trick. Not a bad idea ;)

pcarpenter
01-29-2009, 11:33 AM
My guess is that their concern is the breakover angle as they try to pull it onto a flatbed (tilt bed). The distance from the front axle to the front of the plow is (obviously) a lot longer than the distance from the front axle to the front bumper without the plow and the plow is likely to hit the bed before the tires start up the ramp. My guess is that this makes even the mounting frame an issue as the plows I have seen have a fairly low attachment point that also will potentially hit the bed before the truck starts uphill.

Of course, the cable explanation sure makes sense too as they would have to go under the plow blade to get to tow hooks or an axle etc.

Paul