PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Quick Change Collet Set - R8

platypus2020
01-29-2009, 12:41 AM
I just got a Grizzly #T10068, quick change collet set, for use in my milling machines with a R-8 spindle. Its a 16 pc set, with collet ranging from 1/8" to 1". The looks, feel, along with actual fit and finish is top notch. I used it today in my Jet JVM 836-1 mill and it works great, end mill changes are quick and the whole assembly has a very solid feel to it. I was somewhat surprised by one lines of Grizzly's catalog ad, extolling the virtues of Taiwanese manufacturing using German CNC equipment, to make this item, but the whole new catalog for 2009, "selling" Taiwanese manufacturing as a benefit. The set with shipping was about $225.

Jack

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/platypus20/?action=view&current=t10068004x.jpg

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/platypus20/?action=view&current=t10068012x.jpg

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee214/platypus20/?action=view&current=t10068018x.jpg

macona
01-29-2009, 12:48 AM
Nothing quick change about that. Its just another ER collet chuck set.

Taiwan is better than China by far.

platypus2020
01-29-2009, 01:39 AM
I didn't what to confuse anyone, it listed in the Grizzly catalog as a Quick Change Collet Set, so thats the name I used.

Jack

www.grizzly.com/products/t10068

oldtiffie
01-29-2009, 01:59 AM
And so far as I can see - and the text says - that it is an R8 and not an ER set.

You should be happy with those.

lugnut
01-29-2009, 02:28 AM
Jack I had a set of those for my little Grizzly X2 mill and I like them. They are faster easier to use than changing out individual R8 collets. I let them go with the X2 when I sold it because they was MT3 and my newer Grizzly X3 mill has a R8 spindle. Grizzly said they was ER-40's but I'm not sure they was. I bought a 3/4 ER-40 collet and it would not fit. I plan on getting a set just like the one you have, but it's not on the top of my list. First comes a DRO setup.
Mel

platypus2020
01-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I got the set as a birthday present from the wife. On a piece of paper in the set and printed on the arbor, it says R8 x EOC 25. I did a quick google and EOC is a collet type, didn't find any EOC 25s, but did find a lot of EOC 8s and EOC 16s. I would have preferred a DRO or a couple of power feeds for the older Bridgeport, but a gift is a gift, and better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Jack

GKman
01-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Nothing quick change about that. Its just another ER collet chuck set.

NOT. Look at it.
http://grizzly.com/products/R-8-Quick-Change-Collet-16-pc-Set/T10068

GKman
01-29-2009, 07:18 AM
I got the set as a birthday present from the wife.

Jack

Nice looking tools. Your wife wouldn't have a sister that's unattached, would she?

wierdscience
01-29-2009, 08:16 AM
NOT. Look at it.
http://grizzly.com/products/R-8-Quick-Change-Collet-16-pc-Set/T10068

Those look more like TG-100 collets to me.

jdunmyer
01-29-2009, 08:44 AM
I bought a similar collet setup before I got my B'Port, then never used them. A link here that showed nearly all conceivable collets tipped me off that they are NOT ER- collets, but something similar, "used on milling machines". I ended up cutting off the R8 shank and making a flange for the 7X10 mini-lathe spindle so I'd have a collet set for it. Works great!

Exactly what is the advantage to this "Quick Change Collet setup" anyway? I don't see that it's faster than R8s, the main thing is the ability to put drill bits directly into the collets.

Bill Pace
01-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Whatever they are, they are definitely in the same family as the ER's -- real close.

There may not be any huge advantage as to the "quick change" over, say, R-8 but I for one do love my ER-40 set (which looks really similar to this) It came with the same assortment of sizes.

I think youll come to really enjoy them....

torker
01-29-2009, 09:50 AM
deleted...wrong place...

jkilroy
01-29-2009, 10:14 AM
If they are TG's they are probably TG 75's but those usually go for big bucks, $25 ea. and up. Looks like a home grown variant, but should work well.

patty boy
01-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Timely post. I've been considering the same set, but have been hesitant because they are not ER's, and Grizzly quality is all over the place. I think I'll go ahead with them after reading your post.

Thanks for the info;)

torker
01-29-2009, 11:12 AM
DOH!!!!!!! Sorry for the podercoat question...yeesh!

kc5ezc
01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Jack: Do you have any more info on the neat looking vertical head for your little atlas horizontal? I have the basic casting but no prints or other info. I do best when I follow someelse's lead.
Thanks
kc5ezc@cableone.net or PM me if you have info to share.

Mark Hockett
01-29-2009, 03:23 PM
If they are TG's they are probably TG 75's but those usually go for big bucks, $25 ea. and up. Looks like a home grown variant, but should work well.
TG 75 do not go to 1", TG 100 go to 1"

Bruce Griffing
01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
I have a similar set. The taper is of course R8, but the collets are not. They are not ER either. Mine, at least, are Ortlieb.

PaulT
01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
If that set isn't ER type (and it probably isn't as they'd be dumb not to say so if it was), I'd go with a R8/ER holder and collet set from www.maritool.com instead. Good quality and prices, great support.

I don't know about "quick change" with these types of collets and holders thou, I use them a lot on my CNC-BP mill but if you are running carbide endmills you have to crank them up to factory torque specs (60 to 80 ft-lbs on ER32) or they'll slip on you. I had to make a special fixture to do this, its too much to try to do in the spindle. I bought a cheapo R8 to int40 adapter and put mounting plates on it so I can pop it in my vise, when using endmills I tighten the collets in that fixture.

Paul T.

patty boy
02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I bought a set of Grizzly's quick-change collets (#T10068) with the R8 adapter. The finish is excellent, and the runout is zip. I'm impressed with the workmanship.

Nonethelsss, I'm disappointed in them.

The adapter tightens the collet using a threaded ring. When the ring is removed, which you must do to change collets, it's difficult to get the threads started again.

Worse, the collet does not release when the clamping force is removed. It continues to grip the tool. The threaded ring has to be removed and the collet pried out of the holder. Quick change it's not.:(

I could bevel the threaded ring so it would start easier, but I see no easy way to get the collet to release when it's clamping pressure is released. This must be a design problem, and I don't see an easy answer.

I'll probably return the set to Grizzly

S_J_H
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Worse, the collet does not release when the clamping force is removed. It continues to grip the tool. The threaded ring has to be removed and the collet pried out of the holder.

I thought those collets were similar to a ER collet- in which first you snap the collet into the nut,- before inserting into the chuck.
The way you describe it sounds like you are putting the collet into the chuck and then screwing on the nut which is not the way ER collets work.
Steve

platypus2020
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
yes the collet snaps into the nut before you put in the holder, and when you loosen the nut, it pulls the collet out of the holder. So far my set works fine, my only regret was not getting it sooner.

Jack