PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Repair

madman
01-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I made a earlier post. I meant to say i would like to know if my econo tig 150 could weld the intercoolers that are located beneath the track of a snowmobile. Like tips on doing the repairs and so on. Torker got me thinking (Oh No Thinking LOL ) about doing this type of repair on sleds. Thanx Mike

Phil McCrackin
01-30-2009, 11:24 PM
I don't see why you could not weld up inter coolers. As long as your machine is capable of the desired thickness.

You may have to ' back gas' it, but the machine should be able to handel it.

rebel54
01-30-2009, 11:52 PM
When you back gas a aluminum part that is being welded, is this a continuous flow of gas?

Phil McCrackin
01-31-2009, 09:38 AM
When you back gas a aluminum part that is being welded, is this a continuous flow of gas?

Kind of. Generally you plug up both ends of the pipe. One end is the 'intake'/'pressure' side that is connected to the gas bottle and the other which I call the 'exhaust', has a small hole to allow a little flow.

This can be accomplished through various means (i.e. tape, mechanical plugs......) Some people argue about whether the exhaust hole has to be on the top or the bottom because of the gas density's, however I have done it both ways with equal success rates.