PDA

View Full Version : Federal Planer

tiptop
01-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi All,
I got a new toy today and it is about as cute as a bugs ear. It is a Federal Planer, the table is 36", it has a 26" stroke, the height capacity is 7" and the width capacity is 9". Here are some pictures I took after unloading it from my truck. lugnut came over with me to pick it up and it was about all we wanted to lift. Thanks Mel.

http://photos.imageevent.com/aatiptop/toolspage/federalplaner/websize/Federal%20Planer%20001.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/aatiptop/toolspage/federalplaner/websize/Federal%20Planer%20002.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/aatiptop/toolspage/federalplaner/websize/Federal%20Planer%20003.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/aatiptop/toolspage/federalplaner/websize/Federal%20Planer%200043.jpg

It seems to run out pretty good, I have not done any tests as to it's accuracy but I did shave a little metal with it before I bought it and brought it home.

Jay

johnnyd
01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I am S-O-O-O envious. (see my remarks over on PM)

lane
01-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Now that is plum cute. I have ran shapers bigger than that. That is neat I would like one that size. Can I borrow it ,I need to re machine the table on my tool and cutter grinder. I guess not you on other side of the country. Have a sister in Dallas Oregon.

Carld
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
That's about the cutest little bugger I have seen. :D

wierdscience
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Cute machine,when do we chips?:D

tiptop
01-30-2009, 11:22 PM
johnnyd,
I am just a sucker for old stuff and it does look kind of cute next to my Gray planer.
lane,
You can borrow it anytime, just come on out. By the way Dallas is just 45 minutes away from here.
Carld,
Ya, I have been working my buddy who owned it before me for about two or three years to sell it to me when he got ready to unload it.
wierd,
Well, I not sure since I am in the middle of totally re-wiring my shop. I haven't got to do any machining for about 4 months since I started the addition. Since it is wired and belted I should take it out for a test run probably just to make sure I did not shake it up driving home. It looks like its about time to buy a video camera cause shapers and planers look much better on video.

Jay

Richard Wilson
01-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Very nice!
I'm building one a bit smaller than that in the UK (24" table) and what is bugging me is how the table reverse mechanism works. OK, youve got a straight drive at the back of the planer, and a cross belt at the front, but there must be some kind of clutch mechanism triggered by the table to make it reverse, its just I can't figure out how it works.

Regards
Richard

tiptop
01-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Richard,
It is all mechanical, the same as my large Gray. I will send you a PM.

Jay

doctor demo
01-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Nice Jay, So when are You going to start that new shop wing?

Steve

tiptop
01-31-2009, 03:59 PM
Steve,

I have not finished up the last one I started. But I tell you if I find many more "I just can't pass up" deals, I will have to.

Jay

Mcgyver
01-31-2009, 04:21 PM
very nice Jay, great that the old machine is being looked after

oil mac
01-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Jay,
You are 100% correct, Your Fedaral is as cute as a bugs ear, It even has my littleTom Senior put in the shade, Seeing a belt driven planer taking a cut, is fascinating, My little Senior is "spot on" for accuracy, but being hand powered is hard work, These machines even in baby size, are extremely heavy to lift, Glad you obtained such a rare little machine
Richard, There is another website, called Wormwood Planers, more or less a sister machine to the Federal, and in the site is shown the kicker mechanism, for reversal of direction. You possibly could make up a copy it is fairly simple. At or around the 1890-1900/s period, The British machine tool & tool dealers Buck & Hickman, advertised for sale Federal planers, imported into the U.K. by their firm

Silverbullet
02-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Well now if all negotiation goes well, I too will be a proud owner of a beautiful federal planer. The man has a shop left to him by an uncle with complete overhead drive system, the planer a shaper and a number 2 mill with a shop built vertical attachment. The old machinist who owned it was well known around his area has a really good one. I'm expecting it within a few weeks , I'm trading items to get it. Ill have to build a super structure to mount the overhead belting it takes to run it. I may have to do some trial and error. Don't know what speed the machine requires , to fast belts fall or twist during reverse. Ill use smallest pulley on the motor and hope at first.
Anybody have any literature or specs, any help be appreciated. Thanks

Max McGrumpy
02-03-2017, 02:14 PM
Thread necro!

Might be a better idea to post a new thread, and the more info you can give us the better. Model/serial numbers, heck pictures would help too. If you have trouble attaching photos check out the thread at the top of the forum.