PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hear from Mcgyver since the hacking handheld propane cylinders thread?

Your Old Dog
02-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Just want to make sure everything is ok :D

torker
02-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Yep...I just found him...stuck in the top of a tree here in BC :D
He said it was quite a flight here from Ontario...

Mcgyver
02-01-2009, 09:25 AM
haha, you guys crack me up, still alive and kicking.

I have to use up the propane first before i can get in trouble....to that end was running the Rider Ericsson last night and took some videos....now have to figure out how to get them on utube....

I do know of a guy who experimented with these little cylinders and apparently they can take quite a whopping! In a vacant lot he dug a pit, built a big fire, put some water in one, plugged it and plumbed a high pressure gauge up so it was visible. watched the gauge (binoculars or telescope i guess) and says it blew around 2000psi. The explosion was big enough everyone called 911 and no parts of the cylinder were ever found...thinking quickly he walked around looking confused asking others what just happened.

i will not attempt this, i will not attempt this, I will not attempt this....

:D

aboard_epsilon
02-01-2009, 10:18 AM

I have to use up the propane first before i can get in trouble....to that end was running the Rider Ericsson last night and took some videos....now have to figure out how to get them on utube....

I do know of a guy who experimented with these little cylinders and apparently they can take quite a whopping! In a vacant lot he dug a pit, built a big fire, put some water in one, plugged it and plumbed a high pressure gauge up so it was visible. watched the gauge (binoculars or telescope i guess) and says it blew around 2000psi. The explosion was big enough everyone called 911 and no parts of the cylinder were ever found...thinking quickly he walked around looking confused asking others what just happened.

these days in the UK ...youd get five years for even thinking about that, never mind acting it out

all the best.markj

pressurerelief
02-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Mythbusters tried shooting a hole in a Propane cylinder in order to reenact a Bond sequence. The Bond Myth was busted. The cylinders have a decent safety factor built in. The handheld DOT 39's do not have the safety devices when compared to a 20# BBQ cylinder. If you heat them to failure the result is quit sudden and visually pleasing. You Tube "BLEVE", Boiling Liquid Vapor Explosion.

I have done just about everything you can in order to destroy a cylinder. Sub contracted to the Govt to assist in testing. They even paid me for it. Does not get much better than that.

P/R

David Powell
02-01-2009, 02:34 PM
The fellow who did the tests on the propane tanks is still very much alive and active in Model Engineering. He will be 93 this spring. Hes not our oldest member, he is 95, still driving and world travelling. They both say they always have something to do, and dont know how they ever found time to go to work!!! regards David Powell. ( Toronto Society of Model Engineers)

madman
02-01-2009, 03:06 PM
HUH they can explode? Noone ever told me that? I cut the tops of of two empty 100 pound tanks of Propane in my buddys garage with his Plasma cutter, A guy walked in while i was doing this a beer sittin on the tool box beside me and he ran out like something was wrong, I was just Laughing. I use exhaust from vehicle and after fill the tank with water prior to cutting the tops off, I just never tell the gawkers, I had a good laugh and the tanks worked great in my homemade dual stack waste oil heater i used to use.

Doozer
02-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I had an empty hand held propane tank that I wanted to use as a boost accumulator for my supercharged 7hp Tecumseh engine. I drilled the openings I needed with a hole saw and drill bits. I think if one wanted to cut one in half with a hack saw, it would be safe. I fit my tank to the air horn of a Mikuni slide carb, and used a GM smog pump for the supercharger. The motor would get into detonation, so I made the ignition timing adjustable. It was on a mini-bike. It did so many wheelies, that the steering neck broke off. I made a new one with Timken bearings, and replaced the Puch moped forks with ones from a '72 Suzuki 125 dirt bike.
--Doozer

brian Rupnow
02-01-2009, 03:49 PM

McGyver---When I was a kid about 13 years old, me and some buddies did the same thing---UNINTENTIONALLY with a can of condensed milk, while on a camping trip!!! We never did find out exactly how the can got into the fire pit, but it sure got exciting for a few minutes when that sucker blew!!!

Stepside
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
The neighbor accidently put a couple of "C" cells in the fireplace. Cost a rug, a couch and all kinds of mess. Seems like they would clean out the ashes every 30 days or when there wasn't room for a fire anymore. Afterwards the fireplace was clean but the living room wasn't.

oldtiffie
02-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Thread/post title (by YOD):
Anyone hear from Mcgyver since the hacking handheld propane cylinders thread?

Text:
Just want to make sure everything is ok :D

YOD, when I read that I had visions of Mcgyver having his dick in his hand when his hand got hacked - yep, that too!!

Would YOU type a reply????

PS.
Glad it turned out OK Mcgyver with no serious damage and that all the important stuff is (still?) in good working order!!

gunbuilder
02-01-2009, 10:52 PM
The neighbor accidently put a couple of "C" cells in the fireplace. Cost a rug, a couch and all kinds of mess.

That reminds me of what a boss did once with a 7.2V RC battery pack and a 12 volt power supply. One or two cells went off like a grenade. In an open Radio Shack store, burned a hole or two in the carpet.

Oh well.

Thanks,
Paul

David Powell
02-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Some 30 odd years ago I worked at an Amusement Park literally in the middle of Toronto. Video games were in their infancy and our electrician/ electronics fellow made up some of his own circuit boards for them. He was just coupling one up to the power supply when the manager walked in. Well there was an almighty bang when he threw the switch , capacitors, resistors, transistors etc leapt off the board and a cloud of magic smoke billowed across the workshop! As calm as a cucumber he simply said," once in a while you get a defective component and it causes this." After the manager left our autopsy revealed that we had coupled the 10 to 1 transformer the wrong way round and instead of 10 volts we had fed the outfit 1000 volts! Happy memories. Regards David Powell.

rowbare
02-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah everyone did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5udSWJcZo

ok so I am slow....

slugger
02-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I had to blow a few of the Colemans up- I took a square nose shovel, poured gasoline on it, set the cylinder on the burning fuel and ran back to where I had a rifle already pointed in the right direction. The went on spectacularly. About the thrird one, I shot a hole in the shovel so I called it good.

Never could get one to light off without a flame source nearby. Didn't try tracers though!

Fun stuff

rolland
02-02-2009, 07:19 PM
the best way to get one to explode is use movie propane, its the same stuff they put in pistol bullets that make the car explode in a huge ball of fire.