PDA

View Full Version : Mill drill VS Burk Milrite

gearhead
02-01-2009, 10:55 AM
A potential deal has come up involving a Burk Milrite (no tooling, or powerfeeds). The Burk is in pretty good shape but all manual machine. The other side of this deal is an import mill/drill (tooling and a powerfeed on the table). The mill/drill is also in pretty good shape.

I'm trying to make the decision on which is the better deal. I ALWAYS prefer to buy old american iron before anything else, but in this case I have to way out what I need to buy and what comes with the machine.

Any advice would be greatfully accepted.

KiddZimaHater
02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
A Burke Millrite vs. an Import Mill/Drill?
Go with the Millrite.
I don't know how 'big' the mill/drill is, but a Millrite is about 3/4 the size of a Bridgeport, and very stout.
Mill/Drills have a bad reputation when hogging out material and for side-loads.
Powerfeeds aren't THAT important. Just get a good workout, and crank those handles.:)
Make surt the Millrite has an R8 spindle.
If it does, then all you need to get started making chips is a vise, clamping kit, and some collets.
Remember, tooling-up your shop is the most fun 'wild-goose chase' around.:D

rmack898
02-01-2009, 11:21 AM
De Ja Vu, read this http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=32659&highlight=burke

lazlo
02-01-2009, 12:28 PM
A Burke Millrite vs. an Import Mill/Drill?
Go with the Millrite.
I don't know how 'big' the mill/drill is, but a Millrite is about 3/4 the size of a Bridgeport, and very stout.

I've had a Millrite for a couple of years now, and I love it -- like KiddZ says, it's 1400 lbs, and basically a 3/4 sized Bridgeport -- perfect size for a small home shop. And considering that most didn't have the nod head, they're a lot more rigid than their smaller size would indicate.

I upgraded to the Millrite from a Taiwanese (Enco Precision Brand) Mill/Drill, and they're simply no comparison. The Mill/Drill is 660 lbs, and nowhere near as rigid as the Millrite.

Doozer
02-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Chevrolet Vs. Yougo

The choice is that easy.

--Doozer

MickeyD
02-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Unless the millrite is totally clapped out it will be a much better machine than an import mill/drill. The mill drills are not all bad, but a Burke is an order of magnitude better. It took a serious machine to Lazlo to upgrade - twice the weight and table size.

johnnyd
02-01-2009, 03:57 PM
somewhere, there are 2 articles about installing a Bridgeport type powerfeed on a Millrite. I think one is in HSM or MW.

gearhead
02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the information. Gear.

4GSR
02-01-2009, 08:24 PM
I was 13 years old when Dad let me run and play on his Milrite mill he had back then. Just the right size back then, for a 13 year old. Wore out every endmill he had back then! At fifty something, I wish I still had that mill. Oh well, that's life! I'm happy with my 645 Index mill I have now.

Ken

gunbuilder
02-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I agree, the Millrite beats a China mill-drill any day hands down. Better with a R8 spindle.

I am soooooo glad I didn't buy the first mill-drill I saw. Bought a Burke Millrite on the Bay, didn't pay anywhere near as much as a Bridgy. It is a little lighter than I should have, but at the time easier to move and use. At some point (soon) I will make a power window motor fit for a power feed, then make Evan's PWM power supply and I will be set.

Thanks,
Paul

rode2rouen
02-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I was 13 years old when Dad let me run and play on his Milrite mill he had back then. Just the right size back then, for a 13 year old. Wore out every endmill he had back then! At fifty something, I wish I still had that mill. Oh well, that's life! I'm happy with my 645 Index mill I have now.

Ken

I've got a 645 as well, and I will testify, it can wear out end mills very nicely! :p

Ken, what spindle taper do you have? Mine is B&S #9.

Rex

LAZYBONES
02-02-2009, 12:43 AM
I would add that a Bridgeport J head will graft onto a Mil-Rite so sllck you would think it came that way from the factory. Easy too. No adapter needed. Just a little finagaling.

gearhead
02-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Looks like the Milrite is hands down the winner. The spindle is R8 and the motor is 110 volt. I'll post some pictures when I get the machine....Again thanks to all who took the time to give a comment....

panchula
02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
There's a Yahoo group for Burkes at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/burkemills

They're a knowledgeable, helpful group.

-Mike