PDA

View Full Version : tig welding steel what gas?

SDconcepts
02-01-2009, 08:56 PM
i have a small tig welder from Harbor Freight and i'm wondering can i use the argon/co2 mix i use for mig welding or do i need to go straight argon? also can i weld stainless with this if i get the right filler metal?

macona
02-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Nope. Straight argon, helium, or helium/argon mix.

Stainless is what tig is used most for I would say.

rode2rouen
02-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Don't use the argon/co2 mix for TIG.
For general TIG use, on virtually all weldable metals, straight argon is the ticket. If you find yourself doing heavier aluminum work you might consider an argon/helium mix.
Using the correct filler metal is as important as the correct gas.

Rex

Berniep
02-02-2009, 10:59 AM
If you use the mix, the co2 in the mix will react with the hot tungsten and burn it up, use straight argon only as others have suggested. Stainless can be welded without filler if the fit up is tight enough. You can use stainless filler on regular steel. I think you could use regular filler on stainless but it would not be stainless anymore.

sbmathias
02-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Stainless filler is VERY nice to run. Wets well and makes a beautiful bead, on regular and stainless steel. Always nice to run if you want to afford it, and you don't have to machine it afterwards (it can get very tough).

macona
02-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Stainless looks nice on steel but forms a very hard, brittle weld. Make sure you use the correct filler for the job.

NickH
02-09-2009, 05:36 PM
We should all take good notice of the naming of our favourite processes
MIG, MAG, TIG, TAG, MMA.
The I is for inert gas i.e. Not CO2,
Nick