PDA

View Full Version : Talking dogs

Evan
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Not wanting to hijack Johns thread on his new dog I decided to post this separately.

J Kings picture of his dog attending the mill in John's thread took me by surprise. I can tell him what sort of dog it is as we have one too. He is a cross between an Australian Shepherd and a Border Collie. We got ours as a pup a little over a year ago and he is the most intelligent dog we have ever seen, and we have had some very smart ones.

We have three right now, one that isn't all that different from the English Sheep dog. He is a Giant Alaskan Malumute and is the biggest and friendliest lump you will ever meet. He cannot bark but loves to talk in long drawn out howls and grumbles. Unfortunately he speaks only Doggish but he gets his point across.

http://metalshopborealis.ca/pics5/dogt.jpg

Then there is our Karelian Bear dog that has been mentioned on various ocassions here. She has been taught to talk a few words of English but is very shy about cameras and I have never been able to catch her saying she wants "out" vocally on camera. She does like to talk and uses a lot of sign language including a great deal of very clear body language such as head tosses, nods and even spinning in a circle to pretend to chase her tail if we have missed giving her the narcotics for her epilepsy. Her favorite pastime is trying to kill something for which she is handsomely equipped.

http://metalshopborealis.ca/pics5/dogl.jpg

Then we have the new boy. He is a class clown. He loves attention unlike the Beardog and is eager to please. He comes when called (unlike the Beardog) and is one of the most easily instructed dogs I have ever met. He picks up on everything immediately and it usually only takes a single talking to or session of instruction to teach him something new.

He is also the most vocal dog we have ever had and the variety of sounds he can make is amazing. He started out by imitating some of the nonsense sounds I would make for him when he was a puppy. As usual, I don't train the dogs but instead give them lessons in a very simple vocabulary that uses sentences of no more than three words. I teach them the names of various items including things like "ear", "nose", "eyes", "chair", "kitchen" etc. I also teach them to say what they want and the Beardog was the first to actually imitate the word "Ooowwwtt" as it is easy to say since it resemble a howl. She uses it appropriately.

The new dog, Snoopy, is a real whip and picked that up right away. He then proceeded to start saying "Hi" when he greets us as that is what I usually say to him each time I see him. He seems to take this sort of thing and work on it in his spare time to practice and improve his abilities. After a while he began greeting us with a very clear "hello". There is absolutely no mistake what he is saying and he uses these words appropriately and often. He also knows how to say "Run" or "Run-run" which is what we say to him when it is time to go out for a run. He began asking specifically for this although he pronounces it as "Rarr-Rarr" or just "Raarrrr". He will then motion for you to follow him and will take you to the back door if you do.

This is Snoopy talking to me. Following this picture is a link to a one megabyte video clip of him talking. He first says "hello" when I ask him to and then he asks to "Raarrr", or go run. That is followed by a somewhat eager and therefor sloppy "Owwwtt" as he wants to go out to run, his most favorite pastime. He puntuates his statements with little barks that mean "YES". Sitting up also means yes as well as "please" if he crosses his paws quickly.

http://metalshopborealis.ca/pics5/dogsnoop.jpg

http://metalshopborealis.ca/misc/snoopytalk.wmv

mochinist
02-02-2009, 02:06 PM
lol john should have fun with this thread

quasi
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Evan, is your new dog's inside of his mouth brown or pink. My brother says the Mounties dog training school only trains dogs with brown mouths. They have found them to be much smarter than pink mouthed dogs.

Your Old Dog
02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Fine. But does he have a conception of verbs? When you've taught him be a good dog or no sniff Dad's arse then we can talk about how smart he is. :D

Dawai
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
When a woman comes to visit.. my 100lb pitt bulldog runs up and bury's his nose in her crotch.. I just smile and say, "I taught him that"..

When he backs off real fast snorting.. I wonder?? UHHHWWWEEEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2bxb4AE0OQ My dog, he says Elllloww.. when you pull up in a car, and Mama when he wants something as a snack.. it tickles his nose.. so he sneezes..

Errol Groff
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Since we are alking about dogs here is somethign I just came across on rec.woodworking.

A Dog's Purpose (please read to the end)
(From a 6-year-old's perspective).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old
Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and
their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were
hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the
family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the
euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would
be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though
Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the
last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few
minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any
difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death,
wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human
lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next
stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good
Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'

The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they
don't have to stay as long.'

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like.

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy-ride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be
pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and
nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

Evan
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Fine. But does he have a conception of verbs? When you've taught him be a good dog or no sniff Dad's arse then we can talk about how smart he is.

Sure he does and so does the Beardog especially. Snoopy is still learning as he is just a youngster but the Beardog has a fully developed concept of language for her intelligence level. I can ask her to be quiet and "Lika promise no bark!" "Later ice cream!" when I put her out in the garden area. Normally she will bark whenever she sees deer or moose (every day) but if I make her promise not to bark she won't because she knows that she won't get to have some of my ice cream later. As she is positively addicted to ice cream this is something she doesn't forget. She has an obsessive-compulsive one track mind and once it is fixed on something she doesn't let anything distract her. Ice cream is one of those things.

old-biker-uk
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I had a talking dog, he used to wander round the village telling people he worked for the bomb squad, was a drug sniffer, did airport security etc. etc.
Got rid of him in the end, I just couldn't stand all the lies - he never did none of that stuff.
Mark
(the old ones are the good ones)

Sophiedoc
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Recently someone wrote an article on parts or all of the" talking gene" labeled "P" something missing in dogs.Maybe this gene can be made perfect and all dogs will talk someday.Been trying to get my Brit to talk for years but so far most sounds aren't very good.The gene thing fascinates me because in the past I was told by speech therapists they had larynx defecits which wouldn't allow speech?

NickH
02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
And there was me, reading the title of the post & assuming it's machining related 'cos it don't say OT.
Should have guessed, this place really is going to the dogs :D
Nick

Evan
02-02-2009, 07:52 PM
The gene thing fascinates me because in the past I was told by speech therapists they had larynx defecits which wouldn't allow speech.

They can manage a few things that are similar to the sounds they normally make. "Out" is an easy one to teach because it resembles howl. One of the things I do is to teach them voice control. I do that by teaching them to "whisper" which is to make very quiet sounds like the little barks Snoopy makes in the video. It's very difficult for them to control their voice and it seems to take a great deal of concentration as it doesn't come naturally.

When Snoopy says "hello" if comes out more like "Heh-row". He can't manage the L but then neither can the Japanese. :D
The problem isn't in the larynx, it is capable of making all the sounds they need. As example a human only needs a buzzer held to the throat to make intelligible speech. The problem is in the shape of the mouth and the lack of the right type of teeth and lips to make stops, fricatives, plosives and sibilants.

Your Old Dog
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Recently someone wrote an article on parts or all of the" talking gene" labeled "P" something missing in dogs.Maybe this gene can be made perfect and all dogs will talk someday.Been trying to get my Brit to talk for years but so far most sounds aren't very good.The gene thing fascinates me because in the past I was told by speech therapists they had larynx defecits which wouldn't allow speech?

Well I can tell you I've had 3 Labs and all three have tried to speak when they were around 8-10 months old. They each tried it for about a week or more before giving up.

I can also tell you that all three were males and they all didn't start cocking their hind leg to whiz until they were within a few dayws of being 1 year old, one of them on his birthday. I find that amazing.

I'd like to thank the forum member who posted this for me when I lost my bud Ralff. It brought me tremendous comfort when I needed it.

From Lord Byron on death of his dog.
Near this spot
Are deposited the Remains of one
Who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.
This Praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
If inscribed over human ashes,
Is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG
Who was born at Newfoundland, May, 1803,
And died at Newstead, Nov 18th, 1808.

millwrong
02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Ah , yes, I recognize the middle of the Canadian winter. It's the time that one's coffee cup is more important than anything else. It's the time when someone thinks their dog vocalizes. Or the necessity of experimenting with propane containers. I personally am teaching my begonia's to stir my morning oatmeal...It's minus 20 Celsius, and I understand that a low is coming in this week, which means more roof shoveling.And all is well in Canada in early February!:D

Evan
02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Did you watch the video?

ProGunOne
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
She (Zoey 3 mos. in this pic) can't talk (yet) but she was sure interested in the video. I have caught her on many occasions watching the television. She is a smart pup which means I'll probably start limiting her tv watching. :p

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/1023/zoey066kv3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MCS
02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Haha, I've got a cat with a general interest in motorcycles, whether real or on television. Here he is watching the Assen TT.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w154/bestwel/IMG_3183.jpg

Circlip
02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
That cat's just Assen about. Last two dogs we had were an Allie and a Scottie. Scottie came three years after the Allie as a pup and after a few weeks was convinced HE was an Allie with short legs.

Only time a dog needs to talk is if it can't make you understand its needs. Whenever I picked up the micrometer to go out to the workshop, the Alsation would be at the door before me no matter how I tried to disguise my actions and would let me into the shop, and then take the guard position laid across the doorstep. When working outside on car or bike or whatever, the Scottie would slowly and quietly nonchelontly walk across, pick a tool up and walk away to "Keep it safe" somewhere, oh what bl**dy fun that was :rolleyes: It's a real bitch when you're practising Alzheimers for later life.

Regards Ian.

Dawai
02-04-2009, 07:39 AM
A young cowboy from Wyoming goes off to college. Half way through the semester, he has
foolishly squandered all his money. He calls home. "Dad," he says, "You
won't believe what modern education is developing! They actually have a program here in
Laramie that will teach our dog, Ol' Blue how to talk!"

"That's amazing," his Dad says. "How do I get Ol' Blue in that
program?"

"Just send him down here with $1,000" the young cowboy says.
"I'll get him in the course."

So, his father sends the dog and $1,000.

About two-thirds of the way through the semester, the money again runs out.
The boy calls home.

"So how's Ol' Blue doing son?" his father asks.

"Awesome, Dad, he's talking up a storm," he says, "but you just won't believe this - they've had such good results they have started to teach the
animals how to read!"

"Read!?" says his father, "No kidding! How do we get Blue in that program?"

"Just send $2,500, I'll get him in the class."

The money promptly arrives. But our hero has a problem. At the end of the year, his father will find out
the dog can neither talk, nor read. So he shoots the dog.

When he arrives home at the end of the year, his father is all
excited. "Where's Ol'Blue? I just can't wait to see him read
something and talk!"

"Dad," the boy says, "I have some grim news.

Yesterday morning, just before we left to drive
home, Ol' Blue was in the living room, kicked back in the recliner,
reading the Wall Street
Journal, like he usually does. Then he turned to
me and asked, "So, is your daddy still messing' around
with that little redhead who lives in town?"

The father exclaimed, "I hope you shot that stupid dog before he talks to your Mother!"

"I sure did, Dad!"

"That's my boy!"

The kid went on to be a successful lawyer, and then he went on to become
the Governor of Illinois.