PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions are dumb.

Boucher
02-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Newbies often start a thread this is probably a dumb question but The only dumb questions are those ask with the intent to show off what one knows or impress the class. Those seeking assistance even on an elementary level are not dumb. The fear of appearing dumb may be restraining others from asking the same question. There is some tendency to fault askers for not using the search functions or not thinking things through. The search functions do not work real well for the newbie because of the vocabulary of terms. Thinking things through also comes with experience. I recently cut my handle of prematurely on a lathe project. That caused all sorts of grief. I was seriously considering starting over. That sort of mistake teaches you to think further ahead. I have had a small stroke this last year. That has caused problems with memory and thinking processes. This group has been very helpful and I really appreciate the quality of help and experience available here.

Evan
02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
YOU CUT YOUR HANDLE OFF? :eek:

Forgive what may be a dumb question but exactly what handle was that? :D

Carld
02-03-2009, 02:14 PM
You have a valid point but. The thing I like to see is someone trying to work out a problem. If they post a method and ask, "will this work" it's much better than just asking an answer to a very simple thing. I do understand that many have not been taught to think in schools or in life.

When I worked in a job shop, before I asked how to do something I would try to work a process out then ask if it would work or for a better way. When you ask a fellow machinist at work how to do something many times you will get a stare and asked how do you think it could be done. After I gained a lot of experience I understood the wisdom of their ways. They wanted to get me to be creative in my work and thought process.

I was an instructor at one point in my career and found it's better to make people think than just supply an answer. If I just told them how to do something that's all they knew. If I started them thinking it often opened doors they never saw before. The mind is like a huge book and if you don't flip the pages all the time they get stuck together and you loose everything.

A creative mind has to be developed and trained, it is not something everyone has from the getgo. A lot of people go through life never thinking how, why, what about anything in their life. What a droll existance that is. From the time I could talk I asked why, how and what about everything I saw. I took apart everything I could get my hands on much to the dismay of my parents. My grandfather supplied me with tools and I don't know if he meant me knowledge or torment for my parents. It worked though and my life has been spent searching and thinking and working.

Evan
02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
From the time I could talk I asked why, how and what about everything I saw. I took apart everything I could get my hands on much to the dismay of my parents. My grandfather supplied me with tools and I don't know if he meant me knowledge or torment for my parents. It worked though and my life has been spent searching and thinking and working.

Exactly my story too. My grandfather was a civil engineer and when my grandmother complained about me digging up her rose garden to channel water all around when I was maybe 6 he shushed her up with "Leave him be, he's learning hydraulic engineering" :D

Spin Doctor
02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
IN truth there are no dumb questions. But there are plenty of dumb answers

Lew Hartswick
02-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I was an instructor at one point in my career and found it's better to make people think than just supply an answer. If I just told them how to do something that's all they knew. If I started them thinking it often opened doors they never saw before. The mind is like a huge book and if you don't flip the pages all the time they get stuck together and you loose everything..

Have you workerd with any high school kids in the last 10 or 20 years?
:-)
...lew...

Liger Zero
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Lew:

That's almost impossible. I say almost... if you can get them to put the cellphone down...

Carld
02-03-2009, 07:34 PM
No Lew, I taught full time diesel mechanics in the 1980's when I worked for a Cummins distributor in Mo. I probably would have pulled my hair out teaching mechanics or machining at the high school level.

I was a Boy Scout leader and didn't have much trouble teaching and encouraging them but they wanted to be there.

airsmith282
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
i find my self in the place where anything i try i do very well in and iam able to think inside and outside the box as well iam very creative, i also like a good challange cause usally people tell me it cant be done or i cant do it and i have abd habbit of proving them wronge, i hav eonly once failed at a challange set before me to do and it has really made me think alot , but someof the faiuler was lack of proper design that was given and also what had to be done to achive the build and lack of some tools needed but in all i look at it as a lesson and learning experience to and it proves to me that not everything can be done some things are just not going to happen atleast not in the way it had to be done but enough of that , recently i took a 400 dollar end mill that uses replacable carbid cutters in fact was yesterday now this mod is noting new to me my mill s MT2 and this end mill had a 5/8 shaft well its now 1/2 on the nose.
I have done this same thing to other end mills i have moded to make use of them .any how suscess again and the run out is not even noticable the thing cuts beautuiful .. not bragging here but making a good point if you have a end mill in this case that you got your hands on and you need it but you cant afford to order in a shank size to fit then you can mod it to work and i will work great ,, if a factory already makes them with in this case a 1/2 shank wiht 5/8 cutter then why do people say it wont work or its not safe, i think some just dont want to do the job and would rater buy it already done and thats ok by me i dont care. but i needed this cutter and gota hell of a deal on it and dont have 400 bucks to go out and buy one with a reduced shank and i know how to soften the metal and re harden it right so its worth a few hours of my time and 50 cents of mapp fule to save 400.00..

anyhow sorry went on a but if a rant there
no such thing as a dumb question just a wronge answer ..
no such thing as bad student just a bad teacher ,
i teach music amonge other things i do and any that stick it out do well.
using the brain god gave us often yeilds the answeres for us if we think somthing threw and also use some logic and some not , and also use comon sence as well..

tattoomike68
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
IN truth there are no dumb questions. But there are plenty of dumb answers

To a point, "Can I use your welder to fix a gas tank leak?

I guess my point is that if you have to ask, you best let a pro do the job anyway. the pro is better off doing the job and sending the noob down the road then babysitting or letting the noob blow himself up.

When you work as a job shop machinist you do get dumb questions, some fool might bring in pipe for a chain link fence post and want a driveline made. I will try to talk them out of it but if thats what they want I tell them there is no guarantee and do it for cash. Also tell them "see you in a day or two." he is saving money you know....

Oldbrock
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I hate to be picky airsmith, but did you proofread your post? Peter

Boucher
02-03-2009, 08:11 PM
YOU CUT YOUR HANDLE OFF? :eek:

Forgive what may be a dumb question but exactly what handle was that? :D
In my diminished capacity I can not tell in Texacun "If you are pulling my leg". The so called handle is where the part is held in the chuck while working on the left end. This was to include a tapped center hole that would screw on a threaded mandrell when the part was cut off and reversed for operations on the other end. I forgot the threaded hole and there fore did not have a good place to hold the part for the second set of operations. I am starting to feel like a retard playing musical chairs with a Mensa Club.

tattoomike68
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
i find my self in the place where anything i try i do very well in and iam able to think inside and outside the box as well iam very creative, i also like a good challange cause usally people tell me it cant be done or i cant do it and i have abd habbit of proving them wronge, i hav eonly once failed at a challange set before me to do and it has really made me think alot , but someof the faiuler was lack of proper design that was given and also what had to be done to achive the build and lack of some tools needed but in all i look at it as a lesson and learning experience to and it proves to me that not everything can be done some things are just not going to happen atleast not in the way it had to be done but enough of that , recently i took a 400 dollar end mill that uses replacable carbid cutters in fact was yesterday now this mod is noting new to me my mill s MT2 and this end mill had a 5/8 shaft well its now 1/2 on the nose.
I have done this same thing to other end mills i have moded to make use of them .any how suscess again and the run out is not even noticable the thing cuts beautuiful .. not bragging here but making a good point if you have a end mill in this case that you got your hands on and you need it but you cant afford to order in a shank size to fit then you can mod it to work and i will work great ,, if a factory already makes them with in this case a 1/2 shank wiht 5/8 cutter then why do people say it wont work or its not safe, i think some just dont want to do the job and would rater buy it already done and thats ok by me i dont care. but i needed this cutter and gota hell of a deal on it and dont have 400 bucks to go out and buy one with a reduced shank and i know how to soften the metal and re harden it right so its worth a few hours of my time and 50 cents of mapp fule to save 400.00..

anyhow sorry went on a but if a rant there
no such thing as a dumb question just a wronge answer ..
no such thing as bad student just a bad teacher ,
i teach music amonge other things i do and any that stick it out do well.
using the brain god gave us often yeilds the answeres for us if we think somthing threw and also use some logic and some not , and also use comon sence as well..

Ever hear of a paragraph?:D

BMSS
02-03-2009, 09:02 PM
In my diminished capacity I can not tell in Texacun "If you are pulling my leg". The so called handle is where the part is held in the chuck while working on the left end. This was to include a tapped center hole that would screw on a threaded mandrell when the part was cut off and reversed for operations on the other end. I forgot the threaded hole and there fore did not have a good place to hold the part for the second set of operations. I am starting to feel like a retard playing musical chairs with a Mensa Club.

Boucher
There are many here on this site, who are most helpful. They will always try to help out the others, whether they are newbies, or old timers who have come across a new (to them) problem, and are looking for simple advice.

and then ya have the smart a_ _ that jumps on the chance to be "cute" I think Boucher, you have found the latter type. Hope you have a full recovery!

TheAndroid
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
and then ya have the smart a_ _ that jumps on the chance to be "cute" I think Boucher, you have found the latter type. Hope you have a full recovery!

In Evan's defense, I myself was wondering what handle Boucher was talking about. I couldn't visualize what handle on my lathe would wind up getting cut off if I had made a mistake. It would have been nice to know that's what he was making.

FatWheels
02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Boucher,

Fear not, you are in good company! Also, note the little smiley emoticon in Evan's post. I have a nephew who lives with me and every time he gives me a dig he grins and says, "I was smiling when I said it."

I figure if they are going to be rationing out places to sit, I'd best bring my own chair. That's how I see it from where I sit.

Keep asking questions too. I'd have called your a handle a spigot or maybe there's a better term out there. Who's the 'boss' of the lathe terminology, can anyone help?

regards,

Jim

Your Old Dog
02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Exactly my story too. My grandfather was a civil engineer and when my grandmother complained about me digging up her rose garden to channel water all around when I was maybe 6 he shushed her up with "Leave him be, he's learning hydraulic engineering" :D

I used to take everything apart that I could get my hands on. I took the toaster apart, a radio, the glove box in dad's car and at that point dad started locking up his tools. My uncle found a rag out by the garden that I had hidden with 3 shiney new Crescent wrenchs in it. From that point on I was called Bucky Crescent by many family members :D

Evan
02-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I honestly had no idea what you were referring to, so I made a joke out of it. Apparently some people don't share my sense of humor, something I have been told before. Oh well, I would find it very boring to be just like somebody else.

The handle I was referring to is the one you held on to while holding the magazine with the other hand as a youngster. :D

I find it somewhat amusing to see somebody that has just arrived on this BBS making judgements about my actions in this case. Perhaps BMSS should do a search on the threads I have started. They are about 90% on topic machining threads.

jdunmyer
02-04-2009, 07:43 PM
FWIW: I've never heard of that stub left in the chuck after parting off as a "handle". It make sense now, but like Evan, I wondered what Boucher was referring to.

Boucher,
You'll learn about sequence of operations as you go along. I've gotten into building model engines, and have found the necessity of making tiny parts out of much larger pieces of material in order to have a "handle" to grab in the vise or chuck. Experience is about the only way you'll learn a lot of what you want to know, and that experience involves spending a lot of time invested in something that gets tossed into the trash. I figure there was probably less time and $$$ invested than if I had gone to the local community college for some courses.

The first time I attempted installing an ambidextrious safety in a M1911 pistol, I turned that $30.00+ Ed Brown device to trash. The next couple were successful, so I marked that $30.00 down to "lesson learned".

Carld
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Evan, I thought he was refering to his "handle" you described too :D ;)