PDA

View Full Version : Ipod or similar

John Stevenson
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Not up to speed on all this latest gadgetry so a request for something similar to an I pod for storing music and files but a bit more advanced than those cheap MP3 players.

Needs to be small, portable and simple, no palmtops etc.

Has to be USB powered.

Ideas please ?

Liger Zero
02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Sony Walkman. I've had mine for three years. Its USB powered, holds about 200 songs (new ones can hold more) and it can display small video and store pictures if you want.

Sound quality is very good. Three years old and the battery still holds 75% charge.

dockrat
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
John, I'm for the Ipod. I have one with 160 gig hard drive..have over 3300 songs and all my pictures and videos on it and it aint even 1/3 full. The battery seems to last for days running all the time and it can also run off the USB port.

Mcgyver
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
I use an ipod and drop it in a speaker cradle in the shop. Use it as much for audio books as music. Hardware is great but you have to endure itunes

dp
02-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Not up to speed on all this latest gadgetry so a request for something similar to an I pod for storing music and files but a bit more advanced than those cheap MP3 players.

Has to be USB powered.

Ideas please ?

I use my Blackberry cell phone. You can always use an iPod, of course. The local digital toy stores have a number of alternatives to iPods that are under $50US. They're all throw-aways now. Some will act like external drives for you PC in addition to holding music or what ever.

lazlo
02-03-2009, 08:41 PM
John, it's really a matter of user interface, and it's really hard to beat the iPod at that.

You might consider going to the store and trying to scan through a playlist or sort through the album list...

Note that none of these devices will survive very long in a machine shop...

mochinist
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I have had a creative zen for awhile, but it is time to upgrade and I'll probably go with an Itouch. They want you to use itunes but there are ways around that.

check out creative though also
http://us.creative.com/products/feature.asp?category=213&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=8860

aboard_epsilon
02-03-2009, 09:06 PM

Has to be USB powered.

Ideas please ?

you need a "pen-drive" perhaps

search ebay ..is able to go on a keyring ...looks like a dongle ..
available in many sizes 2 gig 4 gig 6 gig 8 gig etc ...
it don't play them ..........

to have anything like itunes ..requires the damned thing to near enough take over the comp

you delete the songs off your comp ...and it deletes the songs off your ipod next time you plug it in.....and when its putting songs on your ipod .............uses "all" resourses.......zero left.

hate ipods .

all the best.markj

Teenage_Machinist
02-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I say iPod. If your going for "playing" like the CD players of old. :D

You said storing. If you just want to have a drive to hold stuff, use a flash drive as per Epsilon

Apple has a way of getting stuff right. A bit like old iron vs import, I guess. Its like the difference between an import with quarter inch paint, no feed, and a flanged spindle and a similar sized USA made that has a tumbler, camlock or theaded spindle, camlock tailstock, ect.

BMSS
02-03-2009, 09:14 PM
John,
It would be hard to top using an iPod. They are fairly rugged. The iTunes interface is a little tricky, but if you can post here, you can easily master iTunes.
When I am working out in the shop, I plug my iPod into an old set of powered computer speakers, and let it play my music all day long. Sounds great, works fine that way.

Walter
02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
I use an older sony mini-disc walkman. I refuse to cope with ipod's, the software, and it's restrictions. For the shop I just burn CD's with what I want and keep the remote for the cd player in my pocket.

aboard_epsilon
02-03-2009, 09:16 PM
my brother bought a couple of clone ipods ...they were garbage ...no menus ...guess work ...imposible to work out ...and Chinese instructions that lead you no-where ..so be careful

all the best.markj

barts
02-03-2009, 10:43 PM
An IPod Nano is quite compact and rugged, using flash rather than a drive.
Of course, if you have a computer in the shop already, just hook the audio from that to some computer speakers and you're all set. Any old machine will do, and you can also use it to lookup stuff if you have an internet connection. Keyboards are cheaper to replace than reference books....

- Bart

GadgetBuilder
02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I too vote for the Ipod -- a Nano, the older, smaller version. I bought a used one and it works well - 2gb holds several hours of music. It charges from the USB. Got a rubber sleeve for it at Radio Shack for $2 on sale - keeps it from getting beat up. Got a $15 gadget that plugs into the lighter in the car and broadcasts the Ipod's music on FM to the car radio.

I read that ITunes is a pain so I use WinAmp with a plugin for the Ipod that does much of what Itunes does as far as syncing the Ipod contents with music on the hard disk.

WinAmp can capture music from Net radio stations, break it into songs and save them in individual files. If there is a little voice or commercial junk on the beginning or end it can be removed with an MP3 trimmer. I don't know whether this is legal but it sure is easy to do with free software from the net, even for us old geezers who aren't into all this new-fangled stuff :D

John

lazlo
02-03-2009, 10:57 PM
I read that ITunes is a pain so I use WinAmp with a plugin for the Ipod that does much of what Itunes does as far as syncing the Ipod contents with music on the hard disk.

I don't like iTunes either, but you pretty much sync your music collection once, and don't need to mess with it again, unless you buy and/or download a lot of music.

DFMiller
02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
An Ipod. Nano's are simple. Itouch is cool. Battery life is best on the Classics I think.
Dave

Ries
02-03-2009, 11:26 PM
The original is still the greatest.

I-pod.

They are the best designed, have the best battery life, and are, dollar per hour used, usually cheaper than $50 throwaway clones.
I buy mine refurbished, from the apple website- they are the same as new, except cheaper. With 4 people in my family who use ipods daily, and two of em teenagers who tend to lose em, wash em in the washing machine, or snowboard with em, I have bought a few.
I use mine, which has 5000 songs on it today, in all three cars, in the shop, in the house, and take it on trips. I have cables to plug it directly into my stereos in all the above places- except when I take a walk, I almost never use headphones.

I dont understand what is difficult about I-tunes.

I dont buy anything online from I-tunes- I just use it on my computer to manage my music collection.

Its bog simple, never crashes or does anything it isnt supposed to, and is free with macs.

I rip from CD's, or buy online downloads.
Personally, I am old fashioned enough that I like having a backup, in physical form, so I often buy CD's, especially from smaller bands that I feel can use the support.
In the house, there are 1000 or so vinyl albums, which I am slowly cherry picking and digitizing, a couple thousand CD's, and a few hundred cassettes of oddball stuff like javanese gamelan music I bought in Java...

But its possible to do it all online, and buy downloads from amazon, or direct from most record companies, or from individual artists. There are hundreds of sources of free, but legally questionable downloads as well. My kid has the "bit torrent" thing down, and can produce, in 5 minutes, for free, virtually any music ever recorded.

dockrat
02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Geeez all you guys dissing Itunes!!!! My Gawd, ya'all design in CAD and write G CODE!!! Itunes is a walk in the park compared to that IMHO. :D

Edit: Ries posted while I was typing. I totally agree with all he says but add that it is also free with a PC. I used to pack 200 plus CD's in binders on my boat when I go sailing. Now I have it all on a classic that is smaller than my pack of smokes.

dan s
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Geeez all you guys dissing Itunes!!!! My Gawd, ya'all design in CAD and write G CODE!!! Itunes is a walk in the park compared to that IMHO. :D

I think that's kind of the point, we are smart. Apple designs software for the average brain dead yuppie. For example awhile back itunes used to automatically try and convert all your mp3 to their compressed format (2005ish).

Mark Hockett
02-04-2009, 12:43 AM
John,
I'm with dp on this one, I use my Blackberry. It will hold a lot of songs. The number depends on the micro card you install in it, which I think can be up to 8gb. It has video, camera, Internet, blue tooth and even a very nice point by point GPS. The GPS is voice actuated, just say where you want to go, it will find it, give you the address, phone number and lead you there. It also works as a cell phone. I use mine in the shop with blue tooth stereo head phones to listen to music and for hearing protection. When a call comes in I just hit a button on the headset to pause the music and that answers the phone. The Internet is not as nice as an iphone but it retrieves my email, checks ebay and lets me check this BBS with no problems.

JRouche
02-04-2009, 01:47 AM
I hate to jump on the band wagon but really, the ipods are great. I have one for my four mile walks and Bronwyn has one for her up and coming walks. LOL I have learned to use itunes to my benefit. Dont allow it to sync up on plugging in the ipod. Just like any software, dont go with the manufactures default settings. They will want you to go online, and sync yer ipod and take control. Just turn ALL that stuff off. Use it manually and it works just fine. JR

macona
02-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Sold my ipod when I got my iphone. No sense carrying two devices when one will do everything.

I use a program called Air Sharing on the iphone to handle my files. It allows me to put and access files on the iphone through any computer with a web browser that is on the same wifi network as the iphone. Works great. It also allow you to view the files on the phone like excel files and others.

Circlip
02-04-2009, 05:33 AM
BSR or Collaro John, they come with a variety of case colours Reds, Tans, Greens, you can stack up to 10 Albums on them, background noise is a bit hissy, but that's drowned out with the lathe or miller running.

On modern terms, all C/D's are dumped on to laptop and playlists compiled and downloaded to a 1G Archos in wifes case, and cos she got MP3'd, she had to MP3 me with a 1G Creative MuVo, but I mainly use it to Muve data.

RegardsIan

Mcgyver
02-04-2009, 07:48 AM
I dont understand what is difficult about I-tunes.

it not so much difficulty, more that its a pig. I have a lot online and itunes is slow and cumbersome compared to winamp - it works fine for loading the ipod but falls short as a player/manager for a big collection, I guess if i'd never got winamp i wouldn't be so critical of itunes. just my experience, ymmv

Davek0974
02-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Go for the iPod Touch 32gb

I have had the classic iPods but the Touch i got at christmas knockes all of them into a pisspot:)

I use it for email, games, videos, a pda of sorts as well as music in the car and workshop. Plus, having no moving parts, its practically bulletproof unlike the hard disk versions.

I have my entire CD library plus enough videos for a weeks holiday on mine and its still not full.

Dave

vinito
02-04-2009, 08:10 AM
While you guys were all off discussing Itunes, Sony has continued closing their Big Brother grand grip of control.

To be more specific, I would recommend you look closely at ANYTHING made by Sony that you might consider buying. I feel that with any MP3 player you should be able to drag & drop a music file from your PC and listen to it in the player. Sony wants you to pay & pay every step along the way, so many of their players require you to convert files to their own format, then use their software to load it into their players. One step in this procedure is to check that it is legal content, which in my case prevented me from loading music files I created myself from scratch as well as over half of the standard music files I legally own. It is a major, time-consuming pain in the butt and I eventually threw the player away, which was a nice piece of hardware otherwise. Their DRM crap made it nearly impossible to load any content into the player.

I for one will never buy anything from Sony for the rest of my life (for the above reason among a few others). Too bad too, as they are capable of making some slick hardware. There are other fish in the sea. If you are considering a Sony product, at least make sure you will be able to use it once you get home. If you see that it requires Atrac files or requires their software to use it, I'd say step away and buy something else.

Berniep
02-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I bought an IPOD just for Itunes. I was already using Itunes before I got the IPOD. Tried winamp and some others for music organizations and back then (about the time Apple put out their second Ipod) Itunes was way better. Been hooked on Ipods since. Currently have the square Ipod 8 gig nano and love it. Great battery life and very small. Also Have an Iphone but I mainly use it for internet and a little video, and Oh yea sometimes I make a phone call with it.:D

Mcgyver
02-04-2009, 08:28 AM
I for one will never buy anything from Sony for the rest of my life .

I too boycott sony, extortionists. For me it was a some computer game the kid just had to have. I finally break down and get one home only to find out that the game was useless unless you subscribed at $10 a month to some online community thing - nothing on the box about that and software is opened so not returnable. Cheap Dad says no bloody way, kids in tears with his life ruined and the lifelong boycott of sony begins :D

Your Old Dog
02-04-2009, 09:14 AM
If per chance you just want it for music in the shop and you plan on playing bagpipe music there is a cheaper way.

There is a sollution available that is more durable, don't use batteries and aren't as detrimental on your hearing as bagpipes. You can get used chain saws on ebay for not much money. :D

mochinist
02-04-2009, 10:40 AM
John,
I'm with dp on this one, I use my Blackberry. It will hold a lot of songs. The number depends on the micro card you install in it, which I think can be up to 8gb. It has video, camera, Internet, blue tooth and even a very nice point by point GPS. The GPS is voice actuated, just say where you want to go, it will find it, give you the address, phone number and lead you there. It also works as a cell phone. I use mine in the shop with blue tooth stereo head phones to listen to music and for hearing protection. When a call comes in I just hit a button on the headset to pause the music and that answers the phone. The Internet is not as nice as an iphone but it retrieves my email, checks ebay and lets me check this BBS with no problems.check out slacker mobil if you have the unlimited data plan on your phone, its basically a radio station that you can program to your taste in music and no annoying dj
http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/slacker-blackberry-available-84492/
http://www.slacker.com/

Liger Zero
02-04-2009, 11:14 AM
While you guys were all off discussing Itunes, Sony has continued closing their Big Brother grand grip of control.

To be more specific, I would recommend you look closely at ANYTHING made by Sony that you might consider buying. I feel that with any MP3 player you should be able to drag & drop a music file from your PC and listen to it in the player. Sony wants you to pay & pay every step along the way, so many of their players require you to convert files to their own format, then use their software to load it into their players. One step in this procedure is to check that it is legal content, which in my case prevented me from loading music files I created myself from scratch as well as over half of the standard music files I legally own. It is a major, time-consuming pain in the butt and I eventually threw the player away, which was a nice piece of hardware otherwise. Their DRM crap made it nearly impossible to load any content into the player.

I for one will never buy anything from Sony for the rest of my life (for the above reason among a few others). Too bad too, as they are capable of making some slick hardware. There are other fish in the sea. If you are considering a Sony product, at least make sure you will be able to use it once you get home. If you see that it requires Atrac files or requires their software to use it, I'd say step away and buy something else.

Funny this is why I shy'd away from the iPod, exact same reasons. Had no idea Sony had decided to go this route.

I drag and drop whatever the %&(* I want onto my Walkman using Windows Explorer or Media Player if I'm ripping from a CD. Never had an issue.

...be sure I'm looking carefully if I decide to get another Sony, I don't want some megacorp telling me I can't play an MP3 I created 10 years ago because it doesn't have the right DRM stamp.

lazlo
02-04-2009, 11:24 AM
it not so much difficulty, more that its a pig. I have a lot online and itunes is slow and cumbersome compared to winamp - it works fine for loading the ipod but falls short as a player/manager for a big collection,

iTunes also isn't great for managing tags either. ITunes also insists on installing the QuickTime suite as part of the install, which is a huge bloat on it's own. And besides the bloat, it's got a garish interface that's completely focused on the Apple iTunes storefront.

Funny this is why I shy'd away from the iPod, exact same reasons. Had no idea Sony had decided to go this route.

Apple/iPod only enforces DRM on AAC files purchased from iTunes. There are no restrictions on MP3's.

Timleech
02-04-2009, 01:15 PM

I drag and drop whatever the %&(* I want onto my Walkman using Windows Explorer or Media Player if I'm ripping from a CD. Never had an issue.

...be sure I'm looking carefully if I decide to get another Sony, I don't want some megacorp telling me I can't play an MP3 I created 10 years ago because it doesn't have the right DRM stamp.

I bought a little Sony walkman MP3 about June last year, no such issues with that.
It's an OK device, my one complaint is that the 'random' play doesn't seem terribly random, and if you have a mix of file types it's even less random.

I gave my son a Cowon D2 with DAB radio for Christmas, he's very pleased with it, very good sound quality. Rather more upmarket than I would get for myself :rolleyes:

Tim

dilligaf
02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I use the archos and love it i can even record tv with it and watch as i walk on the treadmill. check it out they are great.
http://www.archos.com/?country=global&lang=en

thanks
Jason

mlucek
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
If per chance you just want it for music in the shop and you plan on playing bagpipe music there is a cheaper way.

There is a sollution available that is more durable, don't use batteries and aren't as detrimental on your hearing as bagpipes. You can get used chain saws on ebay for not much money. :D LMFAO !! :D I think there's a similar solution for accordion music too :p:rolleyes:

I was jogging at the beach last fall and heard something akin to donkey's braying/hyenas screeching/etc ..... and it got louder as I got closer to the parking lot ....

I'm thinking WTF ?? Why am I hearing that insidious noise at the friggin' beach ?? Turned out some guy was practicing his bagpipes at the dang beach !! Geez, how embarrassing is that ??!! He was upsetting the tranquility of the beach, my ears were starting to bleed, the surfers were running from the water screaming, heck, even the porpoises were screeching and the sharks swimming away for their lives, small kids were yelling for their mommies, big kids cranked up the volume on their ipods, pulled up their saggy drawers and skate-boarded away as fast as possible ....

BadDog
02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I hate radio with all the BS "personalities" that try to be cool but just get on my nerves. I also get tired of hearing the same CDs play the same songs over and over. Combine that with my frequent travel at the time, and I'm a bit of a techno nerd, so she thought she would get me a "nice" MP3 player with (knowing me) lots of memory. The result was a Zune in my stocking for Christmas. It was nice for travel, works well and smoothly plugged into the computer, powered by USB, over all very satisfied, though she paid too much IMO.

After I quite traveling so much, it mostly just sat in my desk. Then I wanted to listen to it in my shop. About the time I started pondering that I ran across a smoking deal on an Altec Zune speaker docking station. Specs looked good, and it had a remote. It, along with the Zune, now set on a shelf high and out of the way at the back of my shop. The remote at hand, I choose "Shop Mix", hit "shuffle", and I've got about 20 hours of non-repeating music including only songs I really like. The speakers handle the volume just fine if I want to punch it up, and it stays clear/sharp when I turn it down. Very satisfied over all...

531blackbanshee
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM
i believe that if you are "pc minded"that an 8gb sandisk is very hard to beat.
if you are "mac minded"then go ipod.
i was already a pc guy and the ipod my stepson had was a pain in the rear to take all of my existing wma's and mp3's and convert them to aac.
not to mention i was already used to managing my music with the windows media player,which you can do with most anything "but" an ipod.
i now have a 1gb sandisk and love the fact that i can drag and drop music into the sync list and then unplug and head back to the shop with my changed out music in just a few minutes.
i found almost anything that accepts wma or mp3 to be more user friendly than an ipod.
ipods are usually the more expensive as well.
my.02,
leon holmes

Alistair Hosie
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I bought three sony walkmans two 4 gb and one 8 gb at christmas for present the hold an amazing amount of music and widoes complete films quite a few as well look up amazon Sony NWZA816B 4GB video walkman MP3 alistair ps they have an 8gb version as well You wont be dsiapointed JOhn they sound and look fantastic

laddy
02-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Hey,
My son gave me his old IPOD. I never had one. He showed me how to load my cd"s of 1940s and 1950's songs to the computer then to the Ipod. Got that done. Still have 23 giga bites of room. No more CD's . I went for a walk. Have to get out the glasses to see the screen. No! The sun is too bright, can't see the screen. Got it started but 10 minutes later it stopped. Have to get the glasses out again to see. ''''' If I erase the CD'S loaded to the computer they will erase it from the IPOD if reconnected. This is too much trouble for my old ragged a** like mine. . Good luck. Fred

dan s
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I just use a plain old radio in the shop, because I listen to Cubs games (am radio) in the summer, and I'm not paying for satellite radio. the rest of the year I just listen to the local rock/alternative/classic rock Fm station.

John Stevenson
02-04-2009, 06:51 PM
No Ipods are out, I just have a thing with Apple and all that.
Fancy phone is also out as mine is a dead simple contract phone that serves as [a] clock and [b] as a phone.
No answerphone, no text no sod all else.

Yes I can draw in CAD and G Code but portable stuff to me is all over hyped, if it can't do 1763645844 different things at the same time it's not cool [ or is it hot this year? ]

I have been in business now for God knows how many years and I'm still not in the phone book, like all the best whores if you want me you know how to find me :D

I have this little MP3 player but it's on AAA batteries and they don't last.
I have looked all over for one on AA's but can't find one even though there is room to fit one.
What is it with AAA batteries, my portable phone has these and even with new batteries and on charge all night it last about 20 minutes on a call and give one beep then shuts off but stick it back on charge and after 10 minutes it says it's fully charged ????

I'd like to put some audio books on a player of some kind but the problem I have now is if I stop the 'tape' or whatever I have to go back to the beginning. Pause only works for a couple of minutes before it switches off and it's a fresh start.

Very infuriating.

aboard_epsilon
02-04-2009, 07:07 PM

you have the skill and the equipment

take its guts out and cnc your self a big mp3 player that holds its guts and recharge-able lr14 hp11's

all the best.markj

BadDog
02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
For what it's worth, the Zune remembers where you left off. I generally pause it when I close up in the evening, then resume whenever I get back out there, perhaps even a few days later. Of course, that's on a doc with full-time power. I don't recall what it does on battery...

And I'm with you on the phones. I just want a dependable phone. No text garbage, I don't even care about a camera. Back a few years ago when I got my current phone, I thought I wanted one, but i was wrong. I think I've used it maybe 3 times. Now I'm looking for a "simple" phone that is both robust and supports bluetooth so I can use with my motorcycle helmet comm-system. It seems like if you want BT with "hands free" and "voice", you have to take a whole raft of other garbage. ARghh!

Mcruff
02-04-2009, 07:18 PM
to have anything like itunes ..requires the damned thing to near enough take over the comp

you delete the songs off your comp ...and it deletes the songs off your ipod next time you plug it in.....and when its putting songs on your ipod .............uses "all" resourses.......zero left.

hate ipods .

I have been using an Ipod for 3 years and unless you have a stone age computer not a single bit of this is true, none of it.
I vote for an Ipod or a Zune. I use my Ipod in my motorcycle helmet, in the shop and in my car with the aux jack.

mochinist
02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
For what it's worth, the Zune remembers where you left off. I generally pause it when I close up in the evening, then resume whenever I get back out there, perhaps even a few days later. Of course, that's on a doc with full-time power. I don't recall what it does on battery...

And I'm with you on the phones. I just want a dependable phone. No text garbage, I don't even care about a camera. Back a few years ago when I got my current phone, I thought I wanted one, but i was wrong. I think I've used it maybe 3 times. Now I'm looking for a "simple" phone that is both robust and supports bluetooth so I can use with my motorcycle helmet comm-system. It seems like if you want BT with "hands free" and "voice", you have to take a whole raft of other garbage. ARghh!I got a zune for xmas the year they came out, damn thing wouldnt work on the OS I was using at the time though, of course every other mp3 player would work just fine including apple. What OS you ask, Microsoft XP media center 03.

As for the phone, texting is great when you have a yappy wife, sister, and mother. So much easier to just reply with a yes or no and then hit send.:D

mochinist
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I have been using an Ipod for 3 years and unless you have a stone age computer not a single bit of this is true, none of it.
I vote for an Ipod or a Zune. I use my Ipod in my motorcycle helmet, in the shop and in my car with the aux jack.Yeah I bet none of the guys on this forum have a stone age computer, probably no one on dial up either:p

BadDog
02-04-2009, 07:35 PM
I got a zune for xmas the year they came out, damn thing wouldnt work on the OS I was using at the time though, of course every other mp3 player would work just fine including apple. What OS you ask, Microsoft XP media center 03.

As for the phone, texting is great when you have a yappy wife, sister, and mother. So much easier to just reply with a yes or no and then hit send.:D
Yeah, I remember talking to you about your Zune. No idea why you had so much trouble. Mine worked fine on XP in several flavors, and now on Vista of several flavors. <shrug>

As for the yippie wife, that's what Caller ID is for...

aboard_epsilon
02-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I vote for an Ipod or a Zune. I use my Ipod in my motorcycle helmet, in the shop and in my car with the aux jack.

My brothers laptop could not handle it ..at all ......needs 512 ram minimum

my 1 gig ram AMD 3000+ could barely cope .you could not surf the net when it was doing its thing.

his new comp a quad core handles it OK .

In fact he bought that new comp 3 months ago just 'cause his 2 year old hp laptop could not cope

the damned prog was designed for macs ..was it not?

it's like the Norton of media progs .

all the best.markj

ulav8r
02-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Got my wife a Sansa Clip for Christmas, 4 Gig. Loaded about 860 songs on it using Windows Explorer, still room left.

After teaching her how to turn it on and off, left it with her. She loves it.

My daughter got a 30 Gig used Ipod for the granddaughter, has about 2700 songs on it, many not appropriate for a five year old. Have not been able to download it to a PC because it is a Mac format. Apparently it will have to be re-formatted to be able to use it with a PC.

Mcruff
02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
My brothers laptop could not handle it ..at all ......needs 512 ram minimum

my 1 gig ram AMD 3000+ could barely cope .you could not surf the net when it was doing its thing.

his new comp a quad core handles it OK .

In fact he bought that new comp 3 months ago just 'cause his 2 year old hp laptop could not cope

the damned prog was designed for macs ..was it not?

it's like the Norton of media progs .

all the best.markj
Well my 2 1/2 year old Gateway with 512mb ram will surf the net run my Ipod and open several other apps at the same time, been doing it this way for a long time. In fact my Ipod is running as I type this and so is my Cadkey cad software.

The latest version of Itunes (8.03, what I run) requires 512mb ram and a 1gz processor and fast access internet, no dial up for the Itunes store, only the streaming video requires more. I don't use the video as its to small to comfortably watch.

Your Old Dog
02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
................I'd like to put some audio books on a player of some kind but the problem I have now is if I stop the 'tape' or whatever I have to go back to the beginning. Pause only works for a couple of minutes before it switches off and it's a fresh start.

Very infuriating.

I have several pocket sized CD players that will play MP3's AND allow you to determine if you want to "start where you left off" or "start at the beginning". This is done with a simple slide switch on the side of the units. Unless it absolutely has to be something that has to fit in your shirt pocket you should look at one of them as they are more durable and much cheaper.

............And I'm with you on the phones. I just want a dependable phone. No text garbage, I don't even care about a camera. Back a few years ago when I got my current phone, I thought I wanted one, but i was wrong. I think I've used it maybe 3 times. Now I'm looking for a "simple" phone that is both robust and supports bluetooth so I can use with my motorcycle helmet comm-system. It seems like if you want BT with "hands free" and "voice", you have to take a whole raft of other garbage. ARghh!

Sounds like you want a TracFone. Mine cost me something like $130.00 per year for about 1000 minutes of talk time and no long distance charges. I just have to buy more time every year and they always have specials like buy 400 minutes and we'll double it AND give you 200 bonus minutes and 1 year service. I'm on my third year with them. Just check your zip code when you sign up for coverage. If I use my zip code they want to give me a service that has slightly less coverage then if I use the zip code from the next town over. I use it because it's in a different county and gives me phone numbers in the 716 and 585 exchanges. Can't beat their deal with a stick and it works damn near everywhere anyone Else's phone works. BTW, my Motorola TracFone flipfone supports still pictures and Blue tooth.

aboard_epsilon
02-04-2009, 08:42 PM
370,000 hits for itunes freezes computer

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=itunes+freezes+computer&spell=1

1,620,000 for computer-slow with ipod

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=ipod+computer-slow&meta=

itunes slows computer

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=itunes+computer+slow-down&meta=

could go on for ever, but I wont say any more on it ....

all the best.markj

lazlo
02-04-2009, 09:01 PM
iTunes is definitely a resource pig, and it got a lot worse with 8.xxx

spope14
02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
I have an RCA 8 gig MP# player with photo storage and it shows them as well. It also has an FM radio and I set-up a folder for files I wish to carry from the computer. Easy to use, synchs with any player on the computer, plays any music file, easy to use. I can hook it to a set of speakers and blow the place away.

Mostly I use it for the FM radio option these days as I do not have a radio in the classroom or in my home shop, so I hook it to old computer speakers and go. I have used it to store pictures of the shop or projects in action, machines and even machine parts to show to people when I am traveling or go out to find info for servicing. Even scanned a couple of drawings and stored them in JPG from the scanner and stored the actual drawing files to show quick or put on a computer to show when I arrive somewhere.

I like it. Price for an 8 gig I-Pod, $149.99 (hell, call it $150.00 and be real), or this rig was $49.99 (probably $80.00 now)

mlucek
02-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Saw a news blurb saying that Micro$oft Zune sales were down 54% while iPod sales were up 3% (probably during the holiday season)

Mike

mochinist
02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I remember talking to you about your Zune. No idea why you had so much trouble. Mine worked fine on XP in several flavors, and now on Vista of several flavors. <shrug>

As for the yippie wife, that's what Caller ID is for...it specifically didn't work on the 03' media center, it did work on the 05', it was in some fine print on the back of the box.

For a phone, I see this one marketed to the older generation on late night tv. It has huge buttons and almost zero functions besides a phone. http://www.jitterbug.com/Phones/

they even have a one touch model lmao
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/computer/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://www.jitterbug.com/images/Phones/OneTouchBackground.jpg

Timleech
02-05-2009, 03:14 AM
Fancy phone is also out as mine is a dead simple contract phone that serves as [a] clock and [b] as a phone.
No answerphone, no text no sod all else.

Yes I can draw in CAD and G Code but portable stuff to me is all over hyped, if it can't do 1763645844 different things at the same time it's not cool [ or is it hot this year? ]

I have been in business now for God knows how many years and I'm still not in the phone book, like all the best whores if you want me you know how to find me :D

I have looked all over for one on AA's but can't find one even though there is room to fit one.
What is it with AAA batteries, my portable phone has these and even with new batteries and on charge all night it last about 20 minutes on a call and give one beep then shuts off but stick it back on charge and after 10 minutes it says it's fully charged ????

I'd like to put some audio books on a player of some kind but the problem I have now is if I stop the 'tape' or whatever I have to go back to the beginning. Pause only works for a couple of minutes before it switches off and it's a fresh start.

Very infuriating.

Someone else mentioned Minidisc, might be worth you looking in to that.
Now they're out of fashion, you can pick them up dirt cheap.

Tim

kmp
02-05-2009, 04:51 AM

Very infuriating.

Pity you have a thing with Apple John; my son who is attached to his Ipod 24/7 is the term I think, has an external battery pack that has 4 AA batteries which last a couple of days listening to music. He tells me that any player that has a screen will have less duration as the screen is a power hog. He hates the latest Ipod as he cannot switch the screen off and uses his old 120Gb one continually.

He suggests that if you look for a reasonable player you should be able to find an external battery pack that takes AA cells, he suggests looking at somewhere like play.com for examples. A friend of his has just got a Sandisk 8Gb player that uses micro SD cards so you can have the capacity you want or can afford (he thinks player was £55 ish). He says audio playback with the screen turned down (important) is about 20 hours on the internal rechargable. With the screen up the duration is less than 5 hours and his advice is if you want it for video look elsewhere as it is not the best. Internal battery is charged through USB lead and he also says that you can get plenty of "emergency" battery packs with either NiMH or dry batteries with USB output that would give you the capacity you need.

Regards

Keith

Mcgyver
02-05-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't like apple either, makes me feel ripped off, like I'm paying for all the BS tripping and mega dollar packaging (hey, its more than 'feel', I am paying for it). Part of working on grumpy old man status is developing the ability to be pissed at many many things :)

BUT

my uncle who was a philosophy professor says happiness is when pleasure is greater than pain. For me the convenience and performance outdo whatever about apple annoys me and the result is I'm happy in the shop listening to music or audio books.

you know of apple pain, but know not how much pleasure it might bring.... so you can't know if you'd be happy with it or not

garagemark
02-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Sandisk brand. USB powered, no software needed, holds as much as you want to buy (I have a 2 gig), is bullet proof, inexpensive, and easy to use.

How's THAT for an endorsement.

mlucek
02-05-2009, 01:48 PM
What sold me on the iPod, was/is, I plugged the iPod into my PC and it just worked. No fooling around with configuration crap. iTunes ripped my CD's as I inserted them into my PC & downloaded them to the iPod and was good to go.

IT WORKED, SIMPLE.

That's what sold me, intuitive interface and it WORKED right off the bat. That's how I sold the iPod idea to a buddy.

Why do you think Apple has something like 75% of the market for portable music players ? Yeah, there are a lot of people who consider Apple as their demi-god :rolleyes: and can't do anything wrong (Apple has stumbled on a number of occasions, but seems to learn their lessons). But for the general populace, the market numbers tell the truth. It's a great product. Sure, it's not perfect and it has its quirks, but I wouldn't buy anything else if I was in the market !

Mike

Liger Zero
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Apple/Mac/iPod is great for the masses who don't want to fiddle. Me, I like tuning and tweeking and adjusting and optimizing. Computer programs, machine processes, cars, my bicycle, all works in progress.

mlucek
02-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Apple/Mac/iPod is great for the masses who don't want to fiddle. Me, I like tuning and tweeking and adjusting and optimizing. Computer programs, machine processes, cars, my bicycle, all works in progress.
I do that all the time too. I bang out computer code all day, so am no stranger to fiddling/tweaking/thumping/general mayhem when it comes to computers (PC's/Mac's/Sun boxes/etc.)

John Stevenson
02-08-2009, 06:45 PM
OK so I took the general advise and bought an Ipod off Ebay.
4 Gb with cheap docking station, doesn't look original.

No disk but I was told I could download the software from the Apple site.

So get it back and it's full of stupid head banging music.

So this software tells me how to buy itunes and all this crap but not how to download MP3 files I already have.
So far tonight I have spend 2 and a bit hours and all I have managed to do is format all the crapoff it and download 15 songs i didn't want off a CD.

How do I get these book files onto the damn thing?

It has a menu for audio books on the scren but no audio book menu on the itunes screen so where do you drop this ?

Tried copy paste- no go.
Tried dragging mp3 folders into the Itunes program, no go.

This thing measures about 0.3" thick and I'm sorely tempted to see if I can get it to 0.010" thick on the hydraulic press.

I see now why I didn't want anything made by apple.....................

aboard_epsilon
02-08-2009, 07:36 PM
it's been a while since i had it on the computer.

i don't think you can drag and drop files into the itunes prog whilst ipod is connected ..

so disconnect ipod ...drag and drop into i tunes mp3s mp4s itunes folder on computer

then plug in the ipod ..it then sincs with the prog

all the best.markj

barts
02-08-2009, 07:38 PM
I do that all the time too. I bang out computer code all day, so am no stranger to fiddling/tweaking/thumping/general mayhem when it comes to computers (PC's/Mac's/Sun boxes/etc.)

I also work in a bit mine (kernel work at Sun), but I really appreciate gear that just works. Ipods work. Even at Burning Man, in the dust. The user interface on the IPod is easy to use (Itunes less so, but I don't use that).

So this software tells me how to buy itunes and all this crap but not how to download MP3 files I already have.

Import them to add them to your music library.

Like many things w/ computers one has to grok the abstraction underlying the user interface; in this case the idea is that you have a library of music,
which can be added to by ripping music from CDs, downloading via the Itunes store or importing existing MP3 files...

If all else fails, typing what you want to do into google often returns
useful results:

how to add mp3 files to ipod

leads to

http://ipod.about.com/od/addinganddeletingsongs/ss/adding_mp3s.htm

- Bart

John Stevenson
02-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Yup can drag files into Itunes but only into the music directory, copied some files into audio books folder, still had the plus sign but it always goes into music.

Got the dummies book on the Ipod but none of the screens match my software.

One page says go to preferences and select the Ipod tag, even has a picture, but mine has no Ipod tag.

That ten thou is looking more like 5 thou.........................

PaulT
02-08-2009, 08:07 PM
So get it back and it's full of stupid head banging music, you know the stuff to fück ******* by .

John, I know you're mad at your iPod, but that was a pretty ugly comment, how about editing it out so you don't uglify up this whole forum?

Paul T.

dockrat
02-08-2009, 09:06 PM
John I found this when searching how to convert mp3 audiobooks for itunes...maybe it will help you

Trent
12-28-08 4:38PMOk I have iTunes 8. I was playing around and found an easier way to turn mp3’s into audiobooks… I’m not sure if it works with everything but let me know.

First, put the file in your itunes library.
Second, find it (probably in music)
Third, right click the “song.”
From here:

Get info >Options > (where it says “Media kind: Music”
change the “music” to audiobook in the dropdown list.)

Click ok and it should be moved to “audiobooks” under “library”

lazlo
02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Apple/Mac/iPod is great for the masses who don't want to fiddle. Me, I like tuning and tweeking and adjusting and optimizing.

I think you're confusing the player (the iPod) with the hosting software (iTunes, WinAMP, whatever).

If you want to rip, encode, tweak, sort, tag your files, just use a third-party hosting software. The other players are no more tweakable than the iPod.

mochinist
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I think you're confusing the player (the iPod) with the hosting software (iTunes, WinAMP, whatever).

If you want to rip, encode, tweak, sort, tag your files, just use a third-party hosting software. The other players are no more tweakable than the iPod.shush, he sounded cool when he said that

Berniep
02-08-2009, 10:42 PM
You can drag individual song files to itunes but I am pretty sure that you have to add whole folders under "File/add folder to library"
If you have an audio book that you just want it to remember where you left off, right click the song file and click the first option "get info" then click the options tab and check "remember playback position" you can even turn it up from this screen, sometimes spoken word stuff is not as loud as others.
If you have a bunch of files to do this to you can CTRL click each one to highlight as many as you want before you right click. The screen that comes up is a little different than the single file screen but all the options are there.

Berniep
02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
How do I get these book files onto the damn thing?

It has a menu for audio books on the scren but no audio book menu on the itunes screen so where do you drop this ?

Tried copy paste- no go.
Tried dragging mp3 folders into the Itunes program, no go.

Ok I just reread your post and think I can address it a little better.
The thing about folders still stands
You have to get them into the "library" then you can set them to the audio book menu. Your Ipod wont show an audio book folder until there is an audio book on it. You can click the File menu in the Itunes program and add files and folders to the Library THEN you can right click them in the music library and change them to audio books or just change them to "remember playback position"
ALSO you have to set the option to sync(transfer to your ipod) audio books in your ipod options.
Those options are ONLY available while the ipod is connected to the computer.
When you hook up the ipod you will see it under "devices" on the left. Click your device and you will see the you ipod on the main screen, there is where you will see the various tabs to click for the different options.
The second tab "Music" is where you choose the options about what gets put on the Ipod. If you don't have a lot of stuff you can just set it to sync everything.

gellfex
02-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Here's the scoop. There's an amazing thing out there, a free open source firmware for certain models of mp3 players called Rockbox. You just buy a compatible player if you don't have one and install the software. This software allows you to do what you want with your player, not what some autocratic silicon valley baron or Japanese engineer thought you should do. It allows bookmarking of any file, and any number of bookmarks, so you can listen to a book, then listen to some music for a while, and return to your place in the book, or the other 4 books you're listening to. You can format your own "while playing" screen with the info YOU want, like time playing AND time to go, and choose any combination of the file info to display. It drove me nuts that some players would only show the file title and not the file name. You can program just about any variable you can think of. It also has numerous plugins like a calculator, chess clock, calendar and games. It also plays movies, handy for keeping the kids quiet on a long flight without dragging along a DVD player. www.Rockbox.org

As for hardware, I've been buying 2gB Sansa E250's for my family. They look like Nanos or Zunes, but are a little thicker. You can get refurbs for $30, they have a micro SD slot so you throw whatever additional memory you want into them. 8gB cards are under $20. It also has a user replaceable battery, not a quick switch as you need to take out 4 tiny screws to get the case off, but doable, as opposed to Ipods and many others. The only bummer is they use a proprietary USB like Ipod, but that's pretty common.

Rockbox is geekware like Linux, you need to actually read the manual, but if it's to your taste your mind will be blown.

Orrin
02-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Pardon me for a slight hi-jack of this thread. I need to learn some new jargon. I need to know what "sync" means, such as in this thread:

i now have a 1gb sandisk and love the fact that i can drag and drop music into the sync list and then unplug and head back to the shop with my changed out music in just a few minutes.

and...

then plug in the ipod ..it then sincs with the prog

I've Googled until I'm blue in the face and still don't know. Can "copy" be substituted for "synch"?

I was a power plant operator for decades and synched (synchronized) generators to the system every day; but, I don't understand this new music jargon.

Tx

Orrin

gellfex
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Pardon me for a slight hi-jack of this thread. I need to learn some new jargon. I need to know what "sync" means
Orrin

Yes, it means copy in this case. It really means to create mirrored images of the relevant data in both the device and the PC. It's probably misused in the case of an Ipod, since the ipod doesn't create much new data to be "synched" back to the PC. It's far more applicable to a PDA, like a Palm which predated the Ipod, in which data flow in a synch is bidirectional.

John Stevenson
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
John I found this when searching how to convert mp3 audiobooks for itunes...maybe it will help you

Trent
12-28-08 4:38PMOk I have iTunes 8. I was playing around and found an easier way to turn mp3’s into audiobooks… I’m not sure if it works with everything but let me know.

First, put the file in your itunes library.
Second, find it (probably in music)
Third, right click the “song.”
From here:

Get info >Options > (where it says “Media kind: Music”
change the “music” to audiobook in the dropdown list.)

Click ok and it should be moved to “audiobooks” under “library”

Brilliant that worked but talk about jumping thru hoops, noting in the book about this, in fact hardly sod all about audio books in the book, it's all about buying off Itunes.

Problem now is i have two Tom Clancy books in audio books and they are all mixed up between the books.
Must be some way of defining a folder to keep them seperate but so far it's eluding me.

Small son who programs for a living and drives Solid Edge has helped but basically gave up on it and I'm about ready to.

Some one has offered to show me a cheap MP3 player that you load from windows file manager. If that's even 10% more intuitive I may cut my losses and use this as packing under the boring tool on the big TOS...............

lazlo
02-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Problem now is i have two Tom Clancy books in audio books and they are all mixed up between the books.
Must be some way of defining a folder to keep them seperate but so far it's eluding me.

John, get Small Son to find out how to tag the audiofiles for chaptering, and put each set of audiofiles in a separate folder.

If you already own the Clancy audiobooks, you can readily download them already chaptered for the iPod.

Adding Chapters to audiobook files - step by step guide

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=202606

John Stevenson
02-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Have you read that link ??????????????

You are freaking joking.......... rip this, use excel to work out the times...... ear of bat,...tongue of newt.....

Forget it I might as well pay someone to read to me while I work.

What happened to plug and play ????????????

lazlo
02-09-2009, 06:28 PM

You are freaking joking.......... rip this, use excel to work out the times...... ear of bat,...tongue of newt.....

Small Son. :)

Seriously, just have Small Son download the chaptered version of the Clancy audiobooks.

John Stevenson
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Yup got the chaptered versions but when they are put into the audio books folder they are all mixed up.

My small son has given up, Solid Edge is easier :rolleyes:

gellfex
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Forget it I might as well pay someone to read to me while I work.

What happened to plug and play ????????????

John, with Rockbox, the player shows up as a drive, you drop the files in a folder, Rockbox automatically creates a playlist for the folder. Done. You can set up recursive folders just like on a drive without all that Itunes nonsense. And you can play stuff you got from other sources than Itunes.

Itunes and Ipods "just work" only if you do what they want you to the WAY they want you to, and they pretend there's no other sources for media on earth than Itunes.

John Stevenson
02-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Right, Download the rockbox files and ran the install.
tells me it's not setup to my player, go to select player and get a big list, click auto detect and it tells me I have an unsupported device.

Itunes accepts it and it has the Apple logo on it.

This is just getting past silly, so far I have spent about 3 hours on this, I could have read the damn book in that time.

gellfex
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
John, you needed to check first if your player is supported by Rockbox, that's list at the top of the Rockbox homepage, first thing you see. If it's not, it simply won't work. If you're not sure of your model, see if there's an "info" selection in the settings area. If it is supported, but you've got a detection problem, just follow the manual install instructions in the PDF manual. Don't lose patience, this is like any other puzzle we figure out in the machining biz. Once you know, you know.

John Stevenson
02-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Yup read that as well, it's an Ipod Mini 2nd gen 4Gb but when I select this it says not supported.
Tried the 1 st Gen as well and same, these are the only two mini's on the list.

Downloaded the manual install for the Mini 2nd gen but when unzipped I can't find any files to run, these are all spurious extensions to me , no exe's etc ?

motorworks
02-10-2009, 05:28 AM
John
They are rigged NOT to work!

I purchased one for my wife on April17/08
Died over Xmas this year.
Tried everything and now I am in the prosses of shipping it back to Apple!
Good luck!!
eddie
ps Did you happen to save any of that
head banging music!?

John Stevenson
02-10-2009, 07:22 AM
No, in the process of getting it to work I reset it back to factory standard.

Not interested in that stuff, drove too many miles with big end bearing shot to appreciate this stuff.

Heard some 'music' the other week playing on a car stereo, I asked what the hell it was and was told it was garage music.

Well I had 19 years in the trade and never heard anything like that ?

PaulT
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
So get it back and it's full of stupid head banging music, you know the stuff to fück ****** by .

John, what's up with this, you seem a like a pretty sharp guy, why are you making us all that participate in this forum look like a bunch of dumb ass clowns by leaving such a nasty and lame racist comment like that in your post?

There is a lot of useful information in this forum, I've recommended it to some friends of my teen age sons interested in machining.

So now I have to be careful to only recommend it to the white friends of my sons so I don't make my whole family look like a bunch of stupid racists?

C'mon John, you seem like a sharp guy, this isn't 1930 anymore, we need to move on in our thinking a little.

Was that comment ok with all you other guys?

If so I guess I'm done with this forum.

Paul T.

mochinist
02-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Was that comment ok with all you other guys?

If so I guess I'm done with this forum.

Paul T.Makes me think less of John...but maybe the word has different meanings or isn't considered as offensive over there as it is here in the US???

Regardless it doesnt make me want to leave the forum, there is racist everywhere and they usually kick their own ass when they speak.

Liger Zero
02-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah John, we all know that music, the car/truck you drive, your political leanings, and the sports teams you follow determine your worth as a human being and your employ-ability.

Very cute.

gellfex
02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Yup read that as well, it's an Ipod Mini 2nd gen 4Gb but when I select this it says not supported.
Tried the 1 st Gen as well and same, these are the only two mini's on the list.

Downloaded the manual install for the Mini 2nd gen but when unzipped I can't find any files to run, these are all spurious extensions to me , no exe's etc ?

John, its great that you have a compatible player, but you're reminding me of my dad, who refuses to read instructions! In the PDF manual it says to extract the ZIP directly onto your players root directory. Then you do the same for the font package. The you run the "ipodpatcher.exe" bootloader software. It's all in the PDF manual. You downloaded that, right?

If you get it working and the fonts are too small for our tired old eyes to see, DONT PANIC. this is easy to fix, you go to the "extras" page on the website and download a "theme" called "BIGFONT". This is what I use with a few modifications.

John Stevenson
02-10-2009, 02:36 PM
OK will try that and also look at the files sent to me by PM's thanks.

Also edited my other post for the PC delicate users of this board, sorry but I'm not racist but equally I don't do PC just to conform with others.

I get this guy comes round here and he's one of the most racist guys I know, 6' 6" , 300# all solid muscle, he banged into the door frame last week and i thought the shop was going to fall down.
Does doors on nightclubs at weekends.

Oh forgot to mention he comes from what was the Gold Coast and is dark black but if you want racist jokes he's the man.
Gets most of them off the other black doormen.

What music, what car/truck, what politics, what sports team ?
I don't listen to music, this is for talking books, I'll drive anything with a wheel at roughly each corner no matter what make, there is only one political party - self , sports ? give over and yes I have been self employed for that long I am unemployable.

Start work at what time ? do what ? get stuffed.

mofugly13
02-10-2009, 08:58 PM
...sorry but I'm not racist but equally I don't do PC just to conform with others.

:rolleyes: puh-leez!

I think it's more of a matter of respect for your fellow man.
I frequent a site with a lot of self-avowed rednecks, and even there a comment like yours would make you a member of the band.

John Stevenson
02-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Gellfex,
Read the manual, installed the software to the root drive as directed and followed the manual to the letter.

Only problem is it still stays connected and nothing happens.
Once unmounted there is no rockbox folder just the fonts listed.

Connect back to Itunes and still no rockbox but now when i try to add another book I get the message that there is no room on the drive as it already has more on it than it's capacity.

Not a problem because as soon as I have finished this book today I'll format it and start again.

Installing music is Ok it's just the way it handles these books.
Music is listed under music in folders like hits 100
Books are listed under audio books as seperate files all together even though they are listed as seperate books in a play list ?

Playlist reads
Hits 100 [ music ]
Clear and present danger [ seperate mp3 files ]
Long way down [ seperate mp3 files

Etc

In music I see hits 100, then music files which is how I expect it.
Under audio books i just get all the files, no playlist / folder names

Perpahs this is how it should work ?

gellfex
02-11-2009, 09:59 AM
John, it sounds like Rockbox is not booting. Are you sure you successfully ran the bootloader patch? In the manual it describes what should happen when you run it. When the Ipod boots up it should look nothing at all like it did originally.

PaulT
02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Also edited my other post for the PC delicate users of this board, sorry but I'm not racist but equally I don't do PC just to conform with others.

Thanks for doing that edit John, PC or not, who knows, but I think it was for the best.

Paul T.

Your Old Dog
02-11-2009, 01:55 PM
If this thread makes it to 100 and he still hasn't figured it out I may go ahead and buy me a CNC Mill after all. I always thought I was too dumb to use one :D

John, I bought my box of pet rocks an Ipod and they figured it out. Does this mean you're dumber then a box of...............

Never mind, just thinking out loud. :D

John Stevenson
02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
LOL :D :D :D :D
What is it a sign of when you still have a sense of humour in signs of adversity.??

bob_s
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
LOL :D :D :D :D
What is it a sign of when you still have a sense of humour in signs of adversity.??

Dementia? ... . . . . . .

dockrat
02-11-2009, 03:10 PM
If this thread makes it to 100 and he still hasn't figured it out I may go ahead and buy me a CNC Mill after all. I always thought I was too dumb to use one :D

I'm in for #100 go buy the CNC :D

John Stevenson
02-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Right found the problem, it's not a mini, it's a Nano but 2nd generation.

from the manual:-

Warning: If your Nano has a stainless steel back and plastic front, it is a 1st generation
and is compatible with Rockbox. If, on the other hand, your Nano has a one-piece
aluminum body it is a 2nd generation Nano and there is currently no Rockbox port
available. Do not attempt to install the bootloader on a 2nd generation Nano

John Stevenson
03-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Update:-

Right found out a lot in the meanwhile.
Main thing is that Apple only wants you to buy music from ITunes, full stop.

Audio books are second class.

So we find the audio boks that are available but these are in MP3 format, the Ipod will play MP3 but treats it as music files.

Audiobooks are MP4b files.

So if you download this free program from here.

http://www.freeipodsoftware.com./index.php

It takes a series of MP3's and stitches them altogether into one MP4b file, now this sounds like a step backwards but the Ipod can read this and remember where you are even though the book file may be 10 hours long.

Neat trick is you can be listening to two different books at the sane time and it remembers where you are on both books at the same time.

So to redress it now works and works well but all the information to get it to do this has come from many places, none of them supported by Apple or Ipod.

Another reason never to buy a Mac.....................