PDA

View Full Version : Hiding from the law!

HSS
02-04-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't know, but it seems that a lot of people may be hiding from someone or something cause they appear to be afraid to put their location in their ID when they join. Now, I'm not saying it is required, it isn't, but it is nice to know where the person you are posting to, is from.
To add your location, now that you have joined the forum, click on "User CP" in the upper left corner of the screen and then click on "Edit Profile", scroll down to the 3rd block labled "additional Information" and type in "where you live". I promise I won't show up on your doorstep looking for a handout.:D
I just like to know where everyone is doing their finest machine work.
I'll shut up now, cause I am starting to bug me now.:p

Patrick

Liger Zero
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
This always bugged me too.

I mean, it's not like we can figure out your exact address from Ratfink, Arkansas.

Seriously, if "someone" (and this rarely happens despite what the Media says) manages to hack the site and steal the IP addresses, you're more or less located ANYWAY.

Having a location filled in helps us determine the best suppliers to recommend ("Happy Family Tool Post is in the same city as you, Jim") and stuff to that effect.

What I'm getting at is you aren't going to come to harm by at least giving us a state location. :)

Heck I'm an outspoken management hating reform-pushing anti-establishment yahoo who posts using his real name and city of residence on some forums ALONG WITH A PICTURE, and no harm has come to me, yet. :D

Davidhcnc
02-04-2009, 01:03 PM
...check my profile:rolleyes:

PTSideshow
02-04-2009, 01:19 PM
With google earth's street level mapping and pictures. Don't ya know you can drive down every street and look for the open garage doors. And then see your equipment and plan to steal it when your sleeping.

Look for swarf tracked out of the shop and left in the driveway as you make your way to the house.

Don't want the other members to find out that you don't live in possum haller and real in a 37 story apartment bldg in New Yuark city.

Or that you have more then one username and are smoking the membership. After being banned for being a real jerk.

I have heard so many reasons, why not to put it up that most of them shouldn't be on the internet.

So think up way any reason why you should and some can think up six why you shouldn't.

At least the state or country, should be mandatory. I get tired of get bitched out when the parties on some sites are asking for a source and they are in another country and hid the fact.
:rolleyes:

RPease
02-04-2009, 01:31 PM
I don't know, but it seems that a lot of people may be hiding from someone or something cause they appear to be afraid to put their location in their ID when they join.............

I thought I was hiding from my "EX"........now I'm not sure...........Are you HER ???

She's just sneaky enough to pretend to be a guy.........just to trap me.........:D

aboard_epsilon
02-04-2009, 01:35 PM
This always bugged me too.

I mean, it's not like we can figure out your exact address from Ratfink, Arkansas.

Seriously, if "someone" (and this rarely happens despite what the Media says) manages to hack the site and steal the IP addresses, you're more or less located ANYWAY.

Having a location filled in helps us determine the best suppliers to recommend ("Happy Family Tool Post is in the same city as you, Jim") and stuff to that effect.

What I'm getting at is you aren't going to come to harm by at least giving us a state location. :)

Heck I'm an outspoken management hating reform-pushing anti-establishment yahoo who posts using his real name and city of residence on some forums ALONG WITH A PICTURE, and no harm has come to me, yet. :D

DEAR LIGER ZERO
And sign your name after your posts as well, i feel an idiot when i end up replying to liger zero.. whatever that means.

ALL THE BEST.MARK

Liger Zero
02-04-2009, 01:42 PM
A "Liger Zero" is some kind of pretend Japanese Animation Robot from a TV series I helped translate.

Love,
Brian "You can't work here you are too young" Richard
Dark Lord Of The Sith, Keeper Of The Epic Plecostomus, Master Of The Moths.

Dawai
02-04-2009, 01:45 PM
I'll post my address if you'll show up with steaks and beer..

MickeyD
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
"They" know where you are anyway, so you might as well let us know too. The only way to hide from them is to line your hats with lead foil so they can't read your mind. Hold on, some is banging on the doorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Liger Zero
02-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Let them come! They can't arrest all of us! THE FIGHT WILL GO ON!

Doorbell? At this hour? Who could it be? :confused:

--Brian "Will you just shut up and get back to work" Richard
Leader Of The Rebel Alliance, Feeder Of The Squawking Budgie, Mover Of The Creepy Centipede

George Seal
02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Conyers Georgia

Roy Andrews
02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
David i don't drink but i don't mind facilitating. i plan to be down your way on the bike this summer so don't be surprised. what kind of beer do you drink or should i just bring Jack.

as far a my personal info, a person would have to be stupid or looking for trouble to put their name and location on the web. i certainly won't do it! never!

topct
02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
as far a my personal info, a person would have to be stupid or looking for trouble to put their name and location on the web. i certainly won't do it! never!

So who is Margaret or Julene? :D

Carld
02-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Soo, you think the members that post a location are really there??? Don't you think you could say your in Tinbucktwo and really be in Howdydo???

Jim Caudill
02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I think this has been discussed before, but not necessarily on the HSM website. I have been posting on a variety of these forums for better than 10 years. I have always used my name and general location. So has Forrest Addy and several others. I've not heard of any negative ramifications, nor have I experienced any. I participate in a "Car Wash" forum (I do have a self-serve wash) and it is incredibly annoying when other board members talk of their expenses, revenue, etc and no one knows where they are located. You really need a context sometimes to understand what the poster is describing. When someone needed something here on this board (a tool, part, or help), I used to try and figure out their location to see if I could be of some assistance - I don't anymore. Thanks to another member of this site posting his location, I was able to establish contact with him and learn he was our old newspaper boy (whom I though had died years ago) and who's mother lives a few blocks away from me.

I have met other board members and loaned them tooling, gave them advice, met for "field trips", sold a few items, etc. Not a great deal of contact, but, I like to think we benefitted from the contact we've had.

John Stevenson
02-04-2009, 04:31 PM
You can't hide in the UK - it's not big enough :D

MCS
02-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Anyone can be anybody anywhere on the internet, I've seen enough of that.
Then you get preconditions, this post will be ignored by some because there is "Holland" on the right top corner.

Then there is the basic human flaw, we cannot say:

"I was wrong."
"I don't know."
"I did'nt know."
"I don't understand."

"Although my lathe is smaller, I beg to differ."

I tried to Google a picture of a lathe the size of a footbalfield to emphasise the possibilities of "my new lathe", but could not find it.

But you'll catch my drift.

Roy Andrews
02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
So who is Margaret or Julene? :D

SWMBO and PITA daughter.

Alistair Hosie
02-04-2009, 05:13 PM
She's just sneaky enough to pretend to be a guy.........just to trap me.........
so you don't like her but if she was a guy that'd be well ok well said.:D:D:D Alistair ps jus kiddin

Alistair Hosie
02-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Mark can't you work that out I am surprised at you he's Regil Orez :D:D:D Alistair

BadDog
02-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Then there is the basic human flaw, we cannot say:

"I was wrong."
"I don't know."
"I did'nt know."
"I don't understand."

"Although my lathe is smaller, I beg to differ."

I tried to Google a picture of a lathe the size of a footbalfield to emphasise the possibilities of "my new lathe", but could not find it.

But you'll catch my drift.
I beg to differ... :D With the exception of that last statement, I am sure I've said each of those multiple times on this forum alone.

Then again, with my latest lathe, there aren't many I could say that to... :p Well, except for FastTrack and a few others... :D Sorry, couldn't resist a small jab.

David Powell
02-04-2009, 05:23 PM
In a world seemingly long gone, i used to search for and find, model engineers, antique cars, traction engines etc etc. All i needed was some seemingly reliable hint and off I went. The local pub, post office, policeman, postman, garageman, local museum, and Model Engineer magazine were frequently of help. I dont know how much 9 11 has changed things but I still remain certain that" if someone wants to find you they can, if they are sufficiently determined" Obviously you dont publish an exact address and a comment like " I have a pile of gold in my unlocked shed " but to give a general location I consider a courtesy we ought to extend on sites like this. I also never make any comments I wouldnt put on a bill board next to our nearby highway ( Hwy 401 Canada). Regards David Powell.

PTSideshow
02-04-2009, 06:30 PM
" I have a pile of gold in my unlocked shed "
You ain't one of them people that store their gold in mercury are you, for safe keeping!:D

David Powell
02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
I kept telling SWMBO that the best investment would be in used machine tools, that I could use, or fix up and sell. I didnt do much about the idea. Now my savings are down 1/3 and used machine tools are still almost at the price they were previously. No there.s no gold in my shed, nor very much cast iron. Regards David Powell.

Dawai
02-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Look what happened to that ibewgypsie guy..
A scorned woman from the 70s found him, her man started calling him at all hours of the night threatening him. This during a rental eviction and conflict with local authorities. (she still got moved out by the police, lying all the way) She took her eastern star self, her lying was discovered and she is no longer a member of THAT group. (turds float to the top)

If you have a shady past, perhaps it is better to stay under a rock. He (Ibewgypsie) did come back with his real name thou, since his stupid lil son thought he was tough and google brought up his address.. After all he was a guardian angel and ran around with a lil beret on his head. Till he came to my house.. I never saw it again.. he was the father of two, no insurance, fighting for the fun of it, no money involved.. I suggested he become a policeman.. and at least be paid for it.

Posting pictures and locations of things to steal for criminals? well Abate of North Ga did a "friends of the road" and posted everyone address and phone number.. what a shopping list for bike thieves.. whoo hoo.. and because I squawked loudly when they asked for mine..
One of them dope-heads said "it is the guy with the most tattoos in the area" he spent the most prison time.. HA.. I only got seven square feet or so.. Never been to prison tho. THO that guy has since spent a stretch..

May god bless all our friends, and damn the other ones.