PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbee

fdew
02-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Hello from another newbee

Just a quick introduction. Questions will follow (Grin)

I have always been interested in and worked around mechanical things. For the last 16 years I have been a self employed Mechanical Designer. I learned years ago that the best way to design was to make a lot of visits to the shop and listen a lot.

About 20 years ago I bought a used lathe and mill and used them for repairs and a occasional small job. last year I bought a antique clock (Synchronome). It was cheep because it was missing a few parts. I made the parts and found I really enjoyed it so for Christmas my wife gave me a steam engine casting kit. I am having a ball, and giving my knowledge a real stretch. Also giving one of my vendors some fun as he teaches me a few tricks. Usually I am sending him drawings. Now he get's to say, "How are you going to do that"
I found I needed to add some tooling (Grin) and I figured out how to add X and Y digital readout to the mill for $40, so with the help I have found on the web I am cooking.

Anyway, I have been lurking for a while and I am sure I will have questions.

Thanks in advance

Frank

garagemark
02-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Hey Frank. Welcome, I'm a two day member myself.

You mentioned a rigged up DRO for forty bucks? Give up some particulars. I have forty bucks! :D

Carld
02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the site Frank.

fdew
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
It's crude, but here is the story. I found that I could buy a 6 in and a 8 in digital caliper on ebay for $40

My mill has a travel of 7.4 X 18 inch

The trick is to mount one end to the machine and NOT hard connect the other end. This allows me to exceed the range of the Calipers with out pulling them apart. I setup the X so that I can easily adjust where the 8 in range is.

Pictures are attached linked. BTW The reason for the extra holes and other oddities is that I used what was laying around for mounting.

It is hard to see, but there is a shim under the caliper in each clamp so that the part that needs to slide can.

It seems to work fine.

The good news is that I have digital readout and it didn't cost a lot.
The other side is that in order to get it I had to make a few compromises.
I must pre load the caliper with my thumb in one direction, I can do this.
It is possible to setup the X caliper in such a way as to destroy it.
I may decide to remove the depth rod from the caliper, as it sticks out.

Easy upgrades, Use a 12 in Caliper on the X axis,
Fasten the free end with a spring or ......

Overall, I am glad I did it.

http://lbpinc.com/x.jpg
http://lbpinc.com/Y.jpg

Frank

10KPete
02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the club Frank. It's good to see another 'inventor' hanging around.

Pete

Liger Zero
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Alright! More nOObS!

Welcome welcome, these people are great. Ask a question and you will get many answers, ideas, tips and much feedback. No question is too stupid for these folks. :)

They helped me settle on a particular collet system for my lathe and pointed me twords a few vendors. How cool is that?

Oldbrock
02-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Welcome aboard, but where are you? US, GB, Aus? Peter

fdew
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Welcome aboard, but where are you? US, GB, Aus? Peter

I am up here in upstate NY. I am working in the shop because it is next to the furnace and we are frozen up near solid here.

Proud member of New Yorkers for global warming.

Frank