PDA

View Full Version : air compressor question need help

airsmith282
02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
ok i gota CH 8 gallon compresoer its like going on 3 months ok and its -30 out side today and about maybe +5 in my shop any how the safty gizmo poped on me when cahrging her up with air so charged it again and same this is it possible its to cold or i have a frost build up some where in the sucker as its charging ???????
right now iam warrming the thing up in the house for a few hours to see what happens but just woundeing if it is because its to cold is there a cure other then waiting for warmmer weather to come by...

sidegrinder
02-05-2009, 01:09 PM
Maybe the pressure cutoff switch is frozen. When the relief pops, what pressure is the tank at?

radkins
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
In all probability the pressure switch is frozen in the "run" position and will work OK when it thaws, just make sure the contacts are not stuck for some other reason if it fails to shut off after thawing. Most compressors also (some of the small oil-less ones don't) have an unloader valve from the pump head to the pressure switch to bleed off the head pressure when the unit shuts off, this is to prevent damage caused by excess starting torque on the motor from having to start the pump turning while it is under pressure. Because air compressors are notorious for producing water and some of this water inevitably ends up in the compressor plumbing all sorts of malfunctions can occur if the unit is exposed to freezing temperatures so make sure the unloader also works properly, it should make an audible "hiss" for a second or so after shutting off.

airsmith282
02-05-2009, 09:24 PM
ok i warmed up the compressor in the ouse for a few hours and all is back to normal again thank god for that iam thinking iam goping to move the location of the compressor to a warramer part of the shop m that or move it to my basment where its going to see most of its usage any how and if i need it in my shop then i can always hook up my extra 25 foot cable as well so it will reach the shop , thanks fo rhte ideas and sudjestions as well a few other things for me to keep and eye on to in future..

oh and my compressor charges up to 125 PSI not a bad little unit i like it

d kirby
02-05-2009, 11:35 PM
airsmith282, down here in S.W Ontario I had the same problem with my compressor. I found that when the pressure relief valve blew off the excess pressure, that the air coming out would freeze up. I built a box around the compressor and put a heat lamp inside,that stopped the valve from freezing, no problems since. Nice crisp air right now in North Bay eh!

Dave

isaac338
02-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I had a little 8 gal compressor that'd do that when it was cold - I always figured it was cause the oil was so thick, the motor had trouble turning and it'd throw the thermal overload. It always worked fine after a few trips of the overload.