PDA

View Full Version : Help finding Bison Drill Chuck

Mike Hunter
02-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Does Bison make a drill chuck with an integral (R-8) shank , if so who carries them

Thanks

Mike

JCHannum
02-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I am not aware of any manufacturer that makes a drill chuck with an integral R8 shank. Most will have a Jacobs taper, and use a JT adapter to mount it to the machine.

New England Brass carries an extensive line of Bison and other tooling.

http://brassandtool.com/Chucks-Drill.html

BadDog
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Albrecht (and Rohm?) make an integral straight shank, but never seen an R8.

Mike Hunter
02-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Jacobs and Albrecht both make them with R-8 shanks. I havenít been too happy with Jacobs lately, and Albrechtís are a little pricier than Iíd like.

Iíve had great success with Bison products, generally outstanding quality, and fairly moderate price. Iím hoping that Bison makes one with an R-8 Shank, or even an integral straight shank. Just had a chuck come off the arbor during a drilling operationÖ. It ticked me off.

Boucher
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Spi also makes a keyless chuck with intergral R8 shank. On sale at Enco for $109. I have never seen or used one so I don't know what quality they are. I have been fighting the same problem that you had.This started on a Albrecht with a Jacobs socket and R8 to Jacobs adapter, running a 2 3/8 hole saw to scarf the end of sch 40 pipe. This was some used eq that I bought so I don't know if it was screwed up before or if I did it. It has been giving trouble drilling holes 1/2 to1". The fix here is to run the drill bit in a collet. The hole saw remains a problem until I get a R8 collet with a 1/2" hex. I have a Bison 6" 6 jaw run true chuck on the lathe. The quality and performance are good considering the price. If I were doing it again I would buy a Buck.

pcarpenter
02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I wanted to say Rohm does too. If Rohm drill chucks are as nice as their Lathe chucks, they are a bargain to be had. I see them on sale from time to time at close-to-asian prices.

Mari-tool is a US company right here in Illinois. As I recall, the proprietor is a regular contributor over at the PM site. Here is their offering at a pretty decent price I would say:

http://www.maritool.com/p87/R8-DRILL-CHUCK-TOOL-HOLDER-BRIDGEPORT-MILL-16mm/product_info.html

Edit-- one other thing that appears nice from the picture (I don't have one) is that this chuck appears to be substantially shorter than the typical 5/8" keyless chuck. I have a Jacobs and its rather long. Add the chuck length and a drill and its likely to be an annoyance in the mill, requiring a lot of knee elevation to switch between it and an end mill in a collet. As such, I use it on the lathe. This one from Maritool looks much more reasonable.

Paul

BadDog
02-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I've got a 1/2" Rohm chuck for use on my mill (though it uses a JT adapter), and it is VERY nice. Comparable to Albrecht in my opinion. I've also got an ENORMOUS (something like 15" or so) Rohm 4 jaw that is superbly made. I wouldn't hesitate to go for a Rohm...

Mike Hunter
02-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I've got a Rohm chuck here too, not bad, I may look into them. I don't know anything about Maritool, are they US Made or rebadged imports.

Mike

pcarpenter
02-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Maritool is US made (here in my state--Illinois). That's what I was getting at...its a US tool company with a chuck at about the price of a good import (the SPI is over $100 on sale). I have no attachment to them and have not met the proprietor, but he is a regular over on the PM site as I recall and I got the impression he makes the tools himself. It seems like this is one of those cases where you can deal straight with the maker of the tooling and not even really pay a premium. This chuck is half the cost of the equivalent Jacobs and the jacobs has no arbor. Others here have commented on the quality of their other tooling.

What was appealing to me was that the chuck appears to not be obnoxiously long like most keyless chucks of that capacity. Finish looks really top notch and they give hardness specs.

If you click on the "about us" link on thier site, you get the following plus a phone number where you can call the owner direct to talk to him. Can't do that with most of the other companies:

MariTool is a new company but is backed by over 2 decades of CNC machining experience. We believe in providing to our customers the highest quality products at the absolute best prices. We also pride ourselves on our customer service and stand behind our Precision Tool Holders, Collets and Machine Accessories 100%. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase or your purchased item(s) does not fit your application you may return it in its unused condition along with your packing slip within 7 days of receiving your order. We will gladly refund you the entire purchase price of your item(s) less shipping.Thank you for visiting MariTool and for considering us for your next purchase. If you have any questions, concerns or would just like to speak to me directly please feel free to contact me at 708-557-5910.With Kind Regards,
Frank Mari
Owner / Operator MariTool

Mike Hunter
02-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Paul

Thanks

I Talked to Frank (Mari Tool) this morning; chucks are German made, assembled with US shanks by Mari Tool. So I ordered one, Frank seems like a standup guy, trying to provide quality at a decent price.

Mike Hunter
Hunter Restorations
www.Hunterrestorations.com