PDA

View Full Version : General digital calipers

wierdscience
02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Got a suprise for Christmas,someone gave me a set of General brand digital calipers.I have a few of their layout tools which are decent,but never even looked at their measuring tools

6" does decimal inch,fractional inch and metric,big enough readouts,OFF button,zero set button,.001" resolution.Nice and smooth movement they actually feel as good as my Mitutoyo digitals.

I don't think they actually turn off,just the display goes off,soon as you move the reader head they wake up and the display comes back.

Checked them against my gage blocks and they are dead on over the entire length of the scale.

Been using them for over a month now and the battery is still fresh,lots better than my China quill scale.

Didn't know how handy the fractional setting would be,but after sorting 10lbs of drill bits in short order I like it alot.

$44 not bad at all.

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-general-digital-caliper-general-digital-caliper-price-43-99-6--pi-2278941.html

Bill Pace
02-05-2009, 09:12 PM
I got a pleasant surprise when in the local bearing store and waiting on my order to come up, I idly picked up a common dial caliper lying there for the help to use and was running it in & out -- quickly thought "hey this thing is really smooth", looked at the brand and it was a General:eek: Really got to running it in & out and by golly that thing was as smooth as any Ive ever felt, cant speak for accuracy, but for smooth ----

wierdscience
02-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Yep,I like that these are smooth.Still made in China,but waaaaay better than HF.

I got rid of the depth stick on mine today,it was in the way really.

fdew
02-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks, That is worth knowing. Any idea if they make a 12 in? I bought a 6 and a 8 in to make into a digital readout for my mill. They don't feel nice at all. When they die it would be nice to move to something a bit better.

Frank

wierdscience
02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks, That is worth knowing. Any idea if they make a 12 in? I bought a 6 and a 8 in to make into a digital readout for my mill. They don't feel nice at all. When they die it would be nice to move to something a bit better.

Frank

I don't know if they make a larger pair.I wish they made a lefthanded pair.They would be easier to read when measuring an ID on the lathe.

Paul Alciatore
02-07-2009, 01:11 AM
I don't know if they make a larger pair.I wish they made a lefthanded pair.They would be easier to read when measuring an ID on the lathe.

Now there is an idea that needs to be done. I can't tell you how many times I wished I had a left hand pair. Does anyone make them?

Oldguy
02-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Here you go. Take your pick of three styles of left handed calipers ;

http://grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=left%20hand%20caliper

Glenn

wierdscience
02-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks for that Glenn,never noticed they had them.