X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hwingo
    • Sep 2007

Help with new indexing head

Does anyone own or have a working knowledge of this Semi-Universal Dividing Head? I've purchased a new B-0 model and instruction manual is not written well and I need some help.

Harold

For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
    Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.
  • SGW
    • Apr 2001

Exactly what do you need help on?

There is quite a bit in Machinery's Handbook about doing dividing.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• NickH
      • Feb 2007

I have a Vertex model which appears Identical, I have used it to generate Square & Hex ends on round components and also for gear cutting, what do you need to know?
      Regards,
      Nick

Comment

• Ken_Shea
        • Aug 2006

Harold, (or others)
        PM me with your email address and I will send a number of files that I have saved and that you will find useful, including instructions.

I would post the links but all that was saved were the files.

Ken

Comment

• Lodsb
          • Feb 2009

Mine was of very poor quality, paid $300 new for it. What I did to improve it was to mesh the worm tight, then attach a drill motor to the crank shaft and let it spin and spin. Tighten the mesh and spin again. After a few hours most of the backlash was gone.

The holes in the index plate are another matter - some are .020" off from the others. It will take considerable time to replace these. There is an inherent error correction - it's split 40:1 and doesn't cause problems on small work, so the incentive to fix these is low.

Using the head is simple fractions. divisions/40 and finding a hole plate that works out to support the remainder. If the remainder is 5/7, that would equal 25/35 or 25 holes on the 35 hole circle.

Comment

• JoeFin
            • Jul 2007

What makes it a “Simi-Universal” Dividing Head?

Doesn’t look like it does any thing different from my plain Ol’ Dividing Head

Last edited by JoeFin; 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• hwingo
              • Sep 2007

Hi Guys!

First light has yet to come to Alaska and already many have responded to this post. I thank you!!

Here is my question ....... and problem. Most dividing heads have "neutral gear". When in neutral gear one can freely rotate the work without having to use the hand crank. I cannot seem to find any instruction in the manual regarding "neutral gear". Does this unit have "neutral" and if so, how do I engage neutral?

Thanks Guys.

Harold
              For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Comment

• Ken_Shea
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by hwingo
                Hi Guys!

Here is my question ....... and problem. Most dividing heads have "neutral gear". When in neutral gear one can freely rotate the work without having to use the hand crank. I cannot seem to find any instruction in the manual regarding "neutral gear". Does this unit have "neutral" and if so, how do I engage neutral?

Thanks Guys.

Harold
                It does, it is engaged by not turning the crank

Comment

• NickH
                  • Feb 2007

Remove the handle & dividing plate & you will see an adjustment for the worm mesh, take the worm out of mesh,
                  Nick

Comment

• hwingo
                    • Sep 2007

Hi Nick,

Thank you for providing this information. I will give this a try today. Really appreciate your response.

Harold

Comment

• dp
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JoeFin
                      What makes it a “Simi-Universal” Dividing Head?

Doesn’t look like it does any thing different from my plain Ol’ Dividing Head
                      A universal dividing head comes with and uses a stack of gears. Here's an example:

Wide selection of tooling and accessories for the manufacturing and metalworking industries. We offer quality inspection, measuring, cutting, power, and hand tools.

Comment

• rmack898
                        • Dec 2007

I have always been under the impression that a universal dividing head had gears or some other provision for it to be driven off a power table feed enabling it to cut a spiral or helical gear.
                        Mac

Comment

• hwingo
                          • Sep 2007

This too was my impression. Gears are necessary to cut spirals for it to be considered a "Universal Head".

Harold

Comment

• JoeFin
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dp
                            A universal dividing head comes with and uses a stack of gears. Here's an example:

http://www.hhip.com/products/catalog...php?CatPage=86
                            Mine has a stack of gears and it is a Dividing Head. It also has a "Through Bore Spindal"

I also have an Old Cincinnati "Super Spacer" which has a stack of dividing plates and an adjustment dial.

I sold the 1 that had the box of gears ment to run off the X table feed and turn Helical Gears. A Company named "Boston Gear" bought it

Dp

Now that I scrolled down the page of the link you provided I see what your talking about.

So what is the difference between a Dividing Head and a "Super Spacer"
                            Last edited by JoeFin; 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Gears on a universal dividing head are also used to make divisions not achievable by just using index plates. Divisions like 51, 53,57,59,51,63 etc, etc..
                              These have to be geared so you gain or lose one tooth by the time you make 40 cuts. You have to remove the index pin holding the index plate steady. It can be pushed in and locked. Now your plate being geared to the main dividing head spindle will advance slightly or retract slightly to compensate for the one tooth.
                              Loved the old No.2 B&S Universal Mill together with the B&S Universal Dividing Head. And yes - with a Universal Dividing Head you should have a Universal Mill. Good way to cut spirals.

Comment

Working...
                              X