PDA

View Full Version : South Bend Lathe

flusen
02-01-2002, 12:11 PM
I am currently investigating the purchase of a South Bend 10" lathe. I do not have a lot of information other then the following comment.

"The 10" bench lathe is in magnificent cond. & has some tooling incl. chucks, collets etc. Price is $1945.00"

I am trying to get more information. What are the questions I need to ask other then the obvious? Is the price fair if all accessories are present? Are there different models of the 10"? QCB? Etc, etc.

I currently have a fully equipped Atlas 6" that could finance part of the cost of the SB

Thanks and Regards to all.

Fred Lusen

halfnut
02-01-2002, 02:42 PM
I would love to have a heavy 10 myself.

3 more or less versions of 10" SB, light 10, early heavy 10, later heavy 10.

K and L are the 2 basic designations, L is the heavy 10, I think. The early heavy 10's had a 1 1/4 spindle bore, couldn't use 5C collets like the later ones with the 1 3/8 bore.

Light 10 just had a 3/4 spindle bore.

Later heavy 10's also were available with a D series spindle nose, this is good.

Magnificent condition, if this means good spindle, and frosting still on ways, then this is good price even with no tooling. Who cares about paint, its those important things like the ways and spindle that make it worth money.

A brand new one can be bought for 13k for engine lathe, 16k for the toolroom model. They have gotten cheaper I believe.

http://www.southbendlathe.com

flusen
02-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks. I also joined the SB group this morning and have gotten lots of useful information from them also. I have a whole list of questions to ask the current owner when I speak to him.

Fred

SGW
02-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Halfnut pretty much covered the basics. Either the 10K or 10L is a good lathe. The 10L is heavier all around.

The 10K takes 6K collets 5/8" maximum capacity, and has a standard quick-change gearbox. The 10L takes 5C collets 1 1/8" (?) maximum capacity and has an expanded range gearbox (at least later models do) that can cut 27 tpi and 30 tpi and such. The 10K needs an extra change gear for those threads; in practice, it is usually of little significance.

KenS
02-03-2002, 04:58 AM
"can cut 27 tpi and 30 tpi and such"

A wholly inadequate 480 tpi, actually. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Flusen,

You'll want one with a model number that resembles "CL 8187 ZB" with the last identifiers 'ZB' not so important as the others.

If there's a failing in the machines it's in the flexibility of the bed when compared to toolroom lathes such as Hardinge HLV-H or Monarch 10 EE. Those are massive solid steel and SB uses the familiar double way with V and crossbracing. For that reason shorter Heavy 10s are more accurate ones. The bed could be ordered from three feet to five feet long.
The limitation then is obviously the relatively short center to center span. Mine is a 42" (3.5') bed and can muster up only 22" between centers. Mount a chuck-watch it shrink. Live center? Same. A drill chuck with a medium length bit? You get the idea, and are probably already versed in the issue considering your Atlas. Every job requires an awareness of this factor. This is offset by the large spindle bore capacity and I use a spider of my own making mounted at the left of the spindle as a matter of course now in many cases. I have also come to rely on collets instead of chucks both for accuracy and for the fact that they take less away when not working through the spindle.

All told though, a beautiful thing. Mine is now restored to such a state that I'm often found gazing at it in rapture. My wife is jealous of the attention I lavish upon my lathe and if I could take it to bed with me I would, leaving her to fend for herself.

flusen
02-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Ken,

Thanks for the insite. I have since found out that it is a 10K, not a heavy. I do not know whether it is horizontal drive or underneath. Since the seller said bench I figure it is underneath. Also do not know if it is a 12 speed or 16. There is only one chuck, some collets (do not know how many)and I do not know what else. Do not know if the collets are draw bar or lever type. Until I can get more information and a lot more accessories I think I will back away from this one.

Again thanks,

Fred

SGW
02-03-2002, 12:17 PM
Nothin' wrong with a 10K in good shape.... If it really is in good shape, that's probably a reasonable price.

If it's a bench model, it's probably horizontal drive. Underneath drive would be more attractive.

You could always offer $1500 and see what happens.

flusen
02-03-2002, 01:47 PM
I sent an e-mail to the owner this morning with questions gleaned from responses on this and the SB forums. I will see what I get back from him, if anything. My brother lives in the area of the seller and is a mechanical engineer. He will hopefully look at it on Tuesday. After I get everything together I will make a decision.

Regards,

Fred

KenS
02-04-2002, 04:56 AM
fusen,

SGW is quite right-- the 10K is as fine a machine, plus there are more parts available for it than there are for Heavy 10s. A function of the number manufactured probably.

Are you looking in ebay? I'm asking because there have been a series of SB lathes, and a fair proportion of them have been Heavy 10s with seemingly good prices. I think that the market in them is depressed like the rest is so it may be a good time to be buying.

I'm sure that this site doesn't want to have us engage posting which may pose a potential for legal action and I won't. But I will invite you to email me at krs1948@attbi.com if you are interested in exploring the ebay avenue.

flusen
02-04-2002, 09:32 AM
KenS and All,

First I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post on purchasing a South Bend 10". Here is what I know now. It is a 10K not a heavy 10. It includes the following:

1-Length of bed-48"
2-Horizontal drive-motor mounts on table back from lathe
3-Flat belt on headstock drive
4-Chucks-3 jaw universal, 4-jaw independent
5-Set of 12 - 6-k collets up to 5/8"
6-Drawbar
7-Lantern toolpost w/ toolholders
8-No. 2 MT tailstock
9-1/2" Jacobs tailstock chuck
Serial no. - 13524KAR8 B300NK

What it does not include is large and small face plates, steady rest, follow rest, taper attachment, or a quick change tool post. Along with the price I have to consider shipping from the north east to Dallas. This will run the price to upwards of $2500 which is way to high for this machine. Unless the seller (it is not on e-bay) can come way down I think I will pass.

Again thank you everyone.

Fred

Thrud
02-05-2002, 12:18 AM
Fred

See if he can move on the price, but if it is in good shape it might be worth the drive up there yourself. You can rent a trailer or put it the back of a truck. Should take you no more than a week there and back. Nice trip, why not? Better yet, make your brother pick it up and drive down to you!

Dave

etcetera
02-07-2002, 01:55 PM
Unless you are in a hurry, I would wait. I picked up a 10" southbend for $750. It looked pretty rough, but the ways and headstock were in excellent condition, and it included quite a bit of tooling. I spent about 2 months looking, and my local machine dealer found it for me.

Patience is the ultimate requirement in getting a good deal.

Eric

Thrud
02-07-2002, 11:10 PM
Eric
I second that sentiment completely. Deals do come around, but you hav to keep an eagle eye out for them and jump them when you have too.

Dave

flusen
02-07-2002, 11:23 PM
I again would like to thank everyone for all your comments, suggestions, and advise. I have decided that regardless of how good that machine happens to be I will pass. As has been said another one will come along. In the meantime I still have a smaller lathe.

Thanks all,

Fred

RightWay
08-31-2002, 11:28 PM
I just purchased a Southbend K10. I believe its a '71 model. Good shape with 6K collets, 2 chucks, steady rest, Quick Change Tool Post (BXA), 5 BXA tool holders (3 are Aloris), 1 BXA Cutoff Tool, 1 BXA Boring Bar Holder, 1 BXA Knurl, 2 Live Centers, 2 MT2 Chucks, and a box full of cutting tools to include mostly carbide. It is the floor model and it sits on a metal cabinet with drawers one one side and a door on the other side. I bought it on Ebay for $1477. So you can find good deals and prices there. Just be careful how you bid.

flusen
09-03-2002, 01:51 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RightWay:
I just purchased a Southbend K10. I believe its a '71 model. Good shape with 6K collets, 2 chucks, steady rest, Quick Change Tool Post (BXA), 5 BXA tool holders (3 are Aloris), 1 BXA Cutoff Tool, 1 BXA Boring Bar Holder, 1 BXA Knurl, 2 Live Centers, 2 MT2 Chucks, and a box full of cutting tools to include mostly carbide. It is the floor model and it sits on a metal cabinet with drawers one one side and a door on the other side. I bought it on Ebay for $1477. So you can find good deals and prices there. Just be careful how you bid.</font>

flusen
09-03-2002, 01:53 AM
Sorry for the bounce of your original message and for the late reply. I have been gone for the past 10 days and just returned. Thanks for the comments on your 10K and e-Bay. I will keep it in mind.

Fred

iabrinker
08-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Dear Flusen
I could'nt help seeing your queston about the Heavy 10".
I have one for sale it is also in imaculate condition.It has been refinished with 4 differnet chucks, Turret quick diconnects, and 3 four position mic stops with lots of other acsessaries plus this has a beautiful water tight cabinet base with drawers.
A wonderfull piece for any shop.
3-hp 3phase moter.
First $1200.00 takes it. e-mail me for info(jabrinker@hotmail.com)