PDA

View Full Version : OT: Economy and Buffalo, NY car show.

Your Old Dog
02-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I know the economy really sucks. People being layed off left and right. I expected to be the only one walking around at the car show when I got there at 11:30 this morning for a show that opened at 11 AM.

The place was damn near packed. One room had the Lexus, Infinity, Jaguar, BMW and Mercedes in it. That room was nearly standing room only. All the Domestic stuff was in another large room. It was extremely busy.

I think people are poised to buy but waiting for the prices to sink that we've all been told to expect. But the dealers are sending a message in the news cast that business is brisk and cars are selling well :D

I suspect that an economy is steered by confidence and information. Well, the information is tainted so people are waiting for the prices to sink. I'm left wondering, if everyone is waiting for the prices to drop severely, what good will buying a new car do to help the economy? If it should happen that cars valued realistically at 20K end up selling for 13K I don't see it being of much help. We are in one hell of a a pickle.

Spin Doctor
02-07-2009, 06:18 PM
It deosn't cost anything to dream does it?

andy_b
02-07-2009, 09:47 PM
I suspect that an economy is steered by confidence and information.

you nailed it my friend. if people are worried they won't have a job next week, they sure aren't going to go out spending money. and our fearless leaders tossing phrases around like "if we don't do something immediately this recession may never end" certainly don't help things.

i don't know about anyone else, but i'm not buying much of anything except food and fuel until i see where this mess is heading. i know that means that i am indirectly contributing to making the problem last longer. in fact even if i get some type of "stimulus check", it will be spent to pay down the few remaining bills i have. which is exactly what the govt does NOT want.

andy b.

barts
02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm shopping for a new car... I like the Jetta Sport Wagon w/ the TDI... getting another fuel efficient car seems like a good idea to me. My 1985 CJ7 is just too much of a PITA...

- Bart

Your Old Dog
02-08-2009, 07:40 AM
I guess the point I'm making is that there is money out there and that people need or want new cars. The problem is all the dialog from the media and the politicians is scaring them away and the need for a stimulus package is still being created rather then reduced by all this talk of doom and gloom.

As for people still being able to dream, yes but they paid $8.00 a head for the privilege. I doubt there were many out of work people there who paid the money to get in.

Give the people the correct information they need to conduct their lives and they'll take it from there.

mbensema
02-08-2009, 08:12 AM
This is the problem with a deflationary environment. When prices are coming down, or people expect them to come down further, they wait so they can get the best deal. The news media certainly is fueling a lot of this as well as the hysteria coming out of Washington. The economy is bad for many people, but there are many more that have not been effected and most likely will not be.

Once the media starts talking about the bottom or a recovery instead of things getting worse, the people on the sidelines will come out. The problem then will probably be a shortage of products since so many companies have been scaling back production and will not have enough inventory on hand to meet the recovery demand.

Circlip
02-08-2009, 08:39 AM
One of the causes of the present problems for the economy, the great god CAR. Some dipstick on this side of the pond has suggested the Govm't gives us all 2000 for our old uneconomical cars if we go out and help the economy by buying a new one which will help the ailing car industry. :eek: Another bit of rocket science from our illustrious chancellor of the exchequer, since the British tax payer is bailing the banks out, he is ADVISING the banks not to take huge bonuses?? :rolleyes:

I really think, politicians worldwide should all be wearing togas' and learning how to play violins, cos we've got plenty of fuel.

Regards Ian.