Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • airsmith282

Bed fram compressor stand

well i needed to get this thing into my warm basment and needed a stand so went and cut of the last of my bed frame material for now welder her up and added on a Chipboard/apsenite wood top and painted her up ,, i weight tested the fram my self and shes pretty darn stronge so it will have no problems holding my 100 lb compressor

• radkins
    • Sep 2008

Yep, I would think it would safely hold a great deal more weight than just that compressor!

Comment

• winchman
      • Aug 2003

Looks good.

I've tried using bed frame material for a couple of things, but I found it hard to work with. It seemed to be much harder to saw and drill than scrap steel from other things, and almost impossible to tap. I was able to weld it OK. I've never trusted it for anything really important, though.

Any idea what grade of steel bed frames are made from?

Roger
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• JCHannum
        • Nov 2001

Bed frame is the steel equivalent of using sash weights and free weights for cast iron. It is made from whatever is available and is very variable, even throughout the same piece. It can be OK to machine and weld or a disaster. It usually has hardspots that will destroy saw blades and drills as Roger has experienced, and it often welds poorly due to inclusions.

That said, for non-ctitical applications such as this, it is usually adequate to use.
        Jim H.

Comment

• mochinist
          • Oct 2003

if it you rock it back and forward does it squeek loudly
          Guru of something…

Comment

• airsmith282

this thing is solid as a rock and then some .no movement any where ,
            i realy like welding this stuff together its alot of fun but yes very hard on blades i use my sawsall to chop the frams up as i get them, now i need more bed frams to make other stuf with,, my 70 amp lincon is defently getting good work outs when i weld this stuff together, once i get my mig 140 will have to see how it does on this stuff as well..

Comment

• Alistair Hosie
              • Aug 2002

That's so strong it could hold his ludships wallet without buckling under the strain. and so what are you sleeping on now the workbench ? Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                • Mar 2008

Over the years I have built a most amazing variety of machinery out of old bed frame angle. Alas, about 10 years or so ago, this came to an end, as the municiplal government realized the worth of scrap metal, and banned "dump scrounging". Now you are not allowed to bring any kind of metal home from a "dump trip", and on the one or two days a year that the municipality does allow people to put old bed frames, etcetera out by the roadside for "scrap metal pickup day" there are people in 3 ton trucks going around almost before daylight to grab it all.
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• hawgwrench
                  • Dec 2008

I see theres several scroungers around besides myself.Not sure what makes it so,be it money or ingenuity,theres alotta satifaction in getting some use from crap you just find laying around.Whole country full of tree huggers are pushing recycling....shoot,we've been doin it for years.Spent part of the day makin a few t-nuts from old railroad spikes that I got,er...found laying around.Grab few more bed frames to keep on hand...might need a jackstand or something..(it'll work for that...still got an old bed frame that held up my ex-wife for years,so a car should be easy pickens)

Comment

• airsmith282

the wife wont let me cut up our bed fram well not yet any way would be nice to be closer to the floor and id get me more projects built at the same time.. i fired up the compressor today on it and its sold not even a vibration of movement from the compressor so alls good there, tonight/today built my rack for my small oxy kit ill post some pics tomorrow after the paint is dry, and nope its not made from bed fram, i ran out of that sutff afer the compressor stand lol oh well ,,

now metal we can goto the scrap yards here and buy the stuff by the pound so its not to bad have gotten some pretty good stuff that way as well..but ya cant take nothing from the dumps so that sucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X